Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Headscratching ball joint
alfas

posted on 9/2/17 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
Headscratching ball joint

i´m searching for a mate, a ball joint with the below given dimenisons (the pic is a random pic, the given measurements are the "real" ones)

its fitted in an ac3000me

the most headscratching measurement is the spline diameter of 41,52mm

any ideas where thsi balljoint could come from?

[Edited on 9/2/17 by alfas]

nick205

posted on 9/2/17 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Nope I don't know what it's from, but a good motor factor should be able to help identify it.

The Ø41.52 is strange, it doesn't convert to an imperial size I'm aware of - guessing the core Ø may be metric though as it looks to be press fit into the wishbone.

Sam_68

posted on 9/2/17 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
The Ø41.52 is strange, it doesn't convert to an imperial size I'm aware of - guessing the core Ø may be metric though as it looks to be press fit into the wishbone.

It's suspiciously close to 1 5/8"?

alfas

posted on 9/2/17 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
AC has made lots of their parts themselves...uprites, wishbones, brake discs...and the ones they used form the general parts bin are form jag or aston and some triumph ones.

1 5/8" would be from which car?

gremlin1234

posted on 9/2/17 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alfasthe pic is a random pic, the given measurements are the "real" ones
a picture of the real item would be good if possible, also look on it for a part number
otherwise apparentl cf vans may be about the right size...
http://forum.bedfordcf.org/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=710

benchmark51

posted on 9/2/17 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Didn't the old Vauxhall Viva have something like that? Didn't have a corresponding spline, just 'chewed' into the hole upon tightening.

VAUXHALL VIVA HA HB HC 1963 -1979 SUSPENSION LOWER BALL JOINTS PAIR (BJ2)

[Edited on 9/2/17 by benchmark51]

alfas

posted on 9/2/17 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
yes the viva´s, magnum´s etc had something like this....but not the mentioned spline diameter..they are smaller as i remember.

unfortunately i do not get any specific measurements from the supliers or at mr. google.

the original part does not contain any markings, even not on the rubber-dust cap

benchmark51

posted on 9/2/17 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe contacting Quinton Hazell would help. They have been around a long time and have catalogues and cross references available on line.
nick205

posted on 9/2/17 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sam_68
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

It's suspiciously close to 1 5/8"?

You're not wrong!

An odd mix of metric and imperial dimensions though. Maybe the original wishbone was a forged item with a certain hole Ø though.

Camber Dave

posted on 9/2/17 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried Cavallier Mk 1
Q H catalogue shows 16mm Cone- No other dimensions though
QH No QS J694S
OE No 9293989
Also
QSJ 763 S Has 17mm Cone Fits Opel Commadore and Rekord

nick205

posted on 9/2/17 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Googling for the part suggests it may be a Transit part (p/n 502 1430).

alfas

posted on 9/2/17 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
hmmmm the transit number turns out to be this:

so totally different

the cone size and thread isnt the problem for the moment....what we havent found is a ball joint which has a spline diameter of 41,52mm (or maybe 41,5)

Slimy38

posted on 9/2/17 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Are the splines actually intact, or have you got measurements for a worn/altered part?

And is your mate sure that's the one part, or could it be more like your second picture but the rest of it is still attached to the wishbone? (I've done this with a top mount, couldn't figure out why the new one didn't fit the same then realised part of the old one was still on the strut!)

Slimy38

posted on 9/2/17 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benchmark51
Maybe contacting Quinton Hazell would help. They have been around a long time and have catalogues and cross references available on line.

Are you sure? QH as a brand have been around for a while, but it's not the same as it used to be. Wasn't it bought by a foreign firm, so they could churn out cheap and nasty parts off the back of the QH brand?

steve m

posted on 9/2/17 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Has he asked on any AC forum ? as it may be a very sought after piece, but actually a modifiyed main stream part, hence you asking on here

Alternatively, asking in a good old fashioned motor factors would of been my next step, as the one I used when building the locost, the guy in there was brilliant, you didn't need a part no, or even a pattern, just ask for a xxxx,and back he comes with the exact thing I had asked for, none of the gormless idiots, that cant help unless you have the registration no, as in halfwits !!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

gremlin1234

posted on 9/2/17 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
does the part on the other side have any part no.s/ markings?
gremlin1234

posted on 9/2/17 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Has he asked on any AC forum ? as it may be a very sought after piece, but actually a modifiyed main stream part, hence you asking
on here
this post on the ac forum, indicats it may be the modified transit part. about £175 at the time
http://www.acownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3982
however, that is for the ac ace, and the joint hasn't been machined in that way.

alfas

posted on 9/2/17 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
old fashioned motor fatcors for britsh cars here in germany? nope
the splines are 100% intact
QH over here is only known for low-budget automotive items for modern cars...no support for "old" cars
the other side has the same part fitted, no markings anywhere
AC Forum? the ac3000me forum has been blocked for public viewers some years ago, as my mate is not really into forums and internet thats not an option.

seems that a bedford ball joint might have the same spline diameter

britishtrident

posted on 10/2/17 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like Vauxhall/Opel joint probably Chevette or Viva HC

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

alfas

posted on 10/2/17 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
we turn in a circle:

"it looks like" does not help as long as we do not have the specific measurements.

our first idea also was vauxhall...but it turned out that they have different measurements.
a mate dealing with panther lima (vauxhall viva & magnum based) told us that he has 2 of those balljoints left because such a tpye is fittedf in one of his clients cars
quite unususal, as all the other client´s panthers use the standard viva/magnum items which are smaller.

he also searched for markings on the new items: nothing.

steve m

posted on 12/2/17 at 11:22 PM Reply With Quote
we turn in a circle:

1. "it looks like" does not help as long as we do not have the specific measurements.

2. "old fashioned motor fatcors for britsh cars here in germany? nope "

1. BT, has suggested That the part looks like something from a Vauxhall yet you cut him down in one swing,
Nasty !

2. I suggest a "an old fashioned motor factors, and get a your reply of "old fashioned motor fatcors for britsh cars here in germany? nope "
Nasty !

BT is a well respected part of THIS club and has knowledge that exceeds your tiny self important small brain,

I, on the other hand, for some reason, am not psychic, and as your too fucxing lazy to put were your live in your profile have no clue were you live, (nor care )

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

alfas

posted on 13/2/17 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
we turn in a circle:

1. "it looks like" does not help as long as we do not have the specific measurements.

2. "old fashioned motor fatcors for britsh cars here in germany? nope "

1. BT, has suggested That the part looks like something from a Vauxhall yet you cut him down in one swing,
Nasty !

2. I suggest a "an old fashioned motor factors, and get a your reply of "old fashioned motor fatcors for britsh cars here in germany? nope "
Nasty !

BT is a well respected part of THIS club and has knowledge that exceeds your tiny self important small brain,

I, on the other hand, for some reason, am not psychic, and as your too fucxing lazy to put were your live in your profile have no clue were you live, (nor care )

steve

to 1:

because i already mentioned before that a vauxhall part does not fit. (7th posting on the fist page)

to 2:

what is your problem?

"BT is a well respected part of THIS club and has knowledge that exceeds your tiny self important small brain"

your posting sounds like you have something "personal" against me, but please keep patience with your wording.

Dingz

posted on 13/2/17 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/photos.php?action=showphoto& photo=2FE.jpeg

Will this picture work?
Still Vauxhall, Victor FE
Could be Record/Commadore as previously mentioned
Floor pans were the same

[Edited on 13/2/17 by Dingz]

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

alfas

posted on 13/2/17 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
as said...its very kind of you all to give some feedback...but without any measurements from the spline diameter of the parts you are posting, it unfortunately doesnt help

see my posting on page 1, 7th posting: "yes the viva´s, magnum´s etc had something like this....but not the mentioned spline diameter..they are smaller as i remember."

and herewith i would like to confirm: the spline-diameter of the mentioned vauxhall items is definately smaller.

[Edited on 13/2/17 by alfas]

gremlin1234

posted on 13/2/17 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
have you looked any further into the bedford van (coincidentally same manufacturer as the vauxhalls) and to make it easier in Germany, was also badged as opel at one point.

but please post a picture of the actual item, its so much easier than dimensions on another random part.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.