Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone had a go at tuning a 16V Toyota 4A-GE engine?
russtik

posted on 29/3/17 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone had a go at tuning a 16V Toyota 4A-GE engine?

So who's had a go at tuning the Toyota 4A-GE 16V, either first timers or multiple times? I'd be interested to hear what you did and the outcomes you achieved.

I have a standard lump sitting in the corner of my garage and I'm mulling over what to do with it. FYI my tuning experience to date is mostly academic, so if I were to attempt this all myself it would be for the first time.

SouthernKitCars.com

'Like' SKCC on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Southernkitcars

stripe

posted on 29/3/17 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
I've got some cams (cant remember the duration), omex electronic ignition and jenvery throttle bodies, and its pushing out 152bhp (measured/tuned at northampton motorsport).

when i had the bottom end rebuilt by rouge motorsport who mainly do MR2, they were saying that new stock 16v 4age are generally a long way under the advertised power, and that 150bhp is a decent output for this engine in NA form...

i do like the way i dont have much power until i get to 5500rpm, with my red line at 8...

russtik

posted on 29/3/17 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stripe
I've got some cams (cant remember the duration), omex electronic ignition and jenvery throttle bodies, and its pushing out 152bhp (measured/tuned at northampton motorsport).

when i had the bottom end rebuilt by rouge motorsport who mainly do MR2, they were saying that new stock 16v 4age are generally a long way under the advertised power, and that 150bhp is a decent output for this engine in NA form...

i do like the way i dont have much power until i get to 5500rpm, with my red line at 8...

Thanks for your reply.

So other than the Jenveys, ECU & cams is everything else standard? No head work, up-rated valve springs, verniers etc?

SouthernKitCars.com

'Like' SKCC on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Southernkitcars

davew823

posted on 29/3/17 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
4AGE

If you have a big port for road use, increase the CR by a full point. The 4AGE likes to rev, a lite wt flywheel really helps. Mild porting on the intake and you can open the exhaust 2 or 3 mm along with three angle valve job. Standard hop-up like cams and headers, and use a "GOOD" head gasket. With a relatively small investment you can reach 140 to 150 HP. Also visit the 4AGE club, for ideas. Dave W

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.