Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bus to motorhome :D
Simon

posted on 18/7/17 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Bus to motorhome :D

Has anyone done it?

Thinking of one of the Dennis Dart Plaxton Mini kind of things - unladen weight 6.7 tonnes; 8m long, 2.5 wide. Strip the seats 25 ish at 20kgs is 500kgs so an empty weight 6.2tonnes so plenty spare to fit it out and drive on car licence

I know coaches are preferable but buses have much better access for bikes (inc m/c's)

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 18/7/17 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have done a couple of people carriers in the past. I always fancied one of those small municipal buses....
owelly

posted on 18/7/17 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
I currently have a library bus on my drive....watch this space... ;-)

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Knobs

posted on 18/7/17 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
I know someone that can plat dreadlocks
slingshot2000

posted on 18/7/17 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Knobs
I know someone that can plat dreadlocks

Ha
Ha
Ha
Ha
Ha
Ha
Ha

Got room for a volunteer ?

Benzine

posted on 18/7/17 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Go for it! I converted a bedford TK into a motorhome and used it for years. Sad to see it go but i'll do another conversion one day.

http://sbmcc.co.uk was quite useful for me

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 19/7/17 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
At one stage, I did have a fetish to use an American school bus. A few were available at the time, less now.
A converted coach sounds great, though difficult to drive through the Alps without singing '...self preservation society...'

I ended up with a much smaller (more sensible for me sadly) 4WD DAF 7.5t (1977, ex. military). Not so good for access, but this was an advantage in some 'hostile' locations....

mark chandler

posted on 19/7/17 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I have considered doing something, however for me I would be looking at a GMC Jimmy or similar from the 40's, no MOT, no Tax and really cheap insurance to offset against the fuel bills which I am sure a modern diesel would sort out.

This is a fugly thing, one with full canvas would be a lot nicer

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/view_large.php?ad=90978&cat=3

[Edited on 19/7/17 by mark chandler]

Rod Ends

posted on 19/7/17 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
What you need is a Carabus!

"In this gadgety-gimmicky world of ours engineers are forever dreaming up some new mechanical masterpiece ..."

Mr Whippy

posted on 19/7/17 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
does your car licence cover a bus? I was under the impression 3.5 tons was the limit for a cat B

just had a quick look...

B+E

This category allows you to drive a vehicle with a trailer over the usual combined MAM limit of 3,500kg. You’ll have this entitlement on your licence as standard if you passed your test before January 1, 1997, in which case you’ll be limited to a MAM of 8,250kg.

However, if you passed your test after that date, you’ll have to take another test in order to obtain this category. Anyone who passed their B+E test before January 19, 2013, can tow any size trailer, though those who passed their trailer test thereafter are limited to a trailer which itself has a MAM of 3,500kg.

[Edited on 19/7/17 by Mr Whippy]

chillis

posted on 19/7/17 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
As Mr Whippy says, does you driving licence allow you to drive above 3.5 tonnes? mine does but then I'm old most people lost this entitlement after 1997 I believe.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

Toprivetguns

posted on 19/7/17 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
My neighbour has a converted a UniMog. Looks huge on the driveway.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

HowardB

posted on 19/7/17 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns

On the driveway as it requires a close coupled fuel tanker to go further than 173miles!

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

nick205

posted on 19/7/17 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toprivetguns

Always quite liked the UniMog - they look like they'll go pretty much anywhere.

Running costs must be a little steep though!

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

posted on 19/7/17 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
If you ever need any help with insurance for this type of project then please feel free to drop me a line. We have schemes that can cater for bus conversions with no issues.
Regards,
Dan.

ste

posted on 19/7/17 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
This is one Ive been building with a mate,

Based on a DAF LF. ex bed delivery truck so drivers have always been clean, the box clean and not carrying massive weight.

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/garage.php?action=usergarage&owner=Ste&carid=8929&page=all

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/7/17 at 05:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ste
This is one Ive been building with a mate,

Based on a DAF LF. ex bed delivery truck so drivers have always been clean, the box clean and not carrying massive weight.

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/garage.php?action=usergarage&owner=Ste&carid=8929&page=all

inspiring... love the use of the patio doors

padrc66

posted on 20/7/17 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
I used to work in automotive consultancy and visited Dennis once to quote for some work. i remember asking what the fundamental difference was between a bus and a coach and it is all to do with suspension travel. Buses have very little wheel travel to allow for the low floor required and to minimise the wheel arch intrusion in the vehicle to allow wheelchair access and for the seats to be on top of the wheels. this means they can't really do more than about 40mph comfortably which is why they have small engines for the size of vehicle (typically 4-6 litre, 140-180 bhp) as they don't need anything more for low speed use. Caoches are built much higher off the ground with the deck above the wheels so don't have the same restrictions and are suitable for high speed use.

the low speed would be my biggest concern to actually get anywhere!

mark chandler

posted on 20/7/17 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
The problem with a lorry is loading the car, very long ramps or some form of lift required.
jacko

posted on 21/7/17 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Mini pointer darts are good little buses i work on them a lot and have thought they would convert great as a motor home

you could put a bulk head at the top of the rear steps and have a bed room up there
a sink above the front nearside wheel arch
the only down side is where your other half sits while travelling ?
Jacko

Simon

posted on 22/7/17 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Mini pointer darts are good little buses i work on them a lot and have thought they would convert great as a motor home

you could put a bulk head at the top of the rear steps and have a bed room up there
a sink above the front nearside wheel arch
the only down side is where your other half sits while travelling ?
Jacko

Just what I wanted to hear - look quite modern, very cheap and I guess reasonably mpg from something with crap drag coefficient and weighing in at 7ish tonnes.

Agree with layout though I'd have very small sleeping accommodation and make lounge a good size. Space above front wheels for bicycle storage etc.

Cheers

Simon

posted on 22/7/17 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
Rules for a motorhome on a car licence are 7.5 tonnes so I'm ok but bizarrely if you register a bus/coach (eg double decker over 7.5 tonnes) you need an HGV licence rather than PCV!!!

Cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.