Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MK1 Audi TT 225bhp tuning
sonic

posted on 30/8/17 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
MK1 Audi TT 225bhp tuning

Hello all

I have the opportunity to buy a mint 2002 low millage TT, a mate is going in the forces and wants it to go to a good home etc.

It has coil overs, poly bushed all round and after market fatter wheels that fill the arches nicely. I was thinking of buying it and spending some money tuning the engine, keep it mint and use as a pure Sunday blast.

Has anybody got any experience of the 225 bhp engine and how tunable it is ?

thanks
Mick

theduck

posted on 30/8/17 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Vey tuneable, revo technik is a good place to look to get some basic idea of what's possible without going totally crazy.
tegwin

posted on 31/8/17 at 04:57 AM Reply With Quote
The engine is tuneable fairly easily the issue with that far is the weight and the haldex system. I had the 225 coupe version remapped to about 280hp. Great in a straight line but hopelessly slow cornering.

I'd definitely replace the haldex controller and reprogram so you can actually punch the power down in corners rather than being told you can by the computer.

I really liked the interior of mine, something very aeroplane like about it. I'd get another for that reason but wouldn't if I wanted something quick on country roads!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

pekwah1

posted on 31/8/17 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
As already stated here, a remap with no other mods will give you 270-280 out of the box.
These engines are quite easy to get to 350bhp with simply mods, i.e. slightly bigger turbo and some breathing

Charlie C

posted on 31/8/17 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I had the Haldex controller upgrade when i had a TT. A couple of cheap mods is to replace the rear ARB with an Gold R32 rear ARB, also the Seat CurpaR 225 brembo callipers fit, that's the great thing about VAG cars built on the same platform so many bit are interchangeable.

There use to be a recirculating valve (dump valve) cold side relocation modification, this made the engine more laggy and wasn't worth doing, I found out the hard way.

Also check if the engine code is BAM (VVT) and not the earlier APX (non VVT), the BAM engine is found in the later mk1 S3's and seat Curpa R

Although I loved my TT and it looked great and still do (in my opinion its a future classic) it wasn't the best handling car it felt heavy and a bit numb, I image that after driving a seven type car it will feal abit dull. That said I think its a great car and mint one's should start going up in value soon.

sonic

posted on 31/8/17 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all of the replies guys, some good information. I am getting to old for thrashing about so thought a nice mint car with a bit of poke for overtaking and the old straight line blast might be worth having and keeping nice.

as said they may start going up in value which would be a nice bonus

Thanks
Mick

pekwah1

posted on 31/8/17 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Everyone seems to be slagging off the TT's handling, to be fair i thought it was great fun to drive and thought the quattro system worked really well.
Yes it's not the lightest car, but seemed to do pretty well in the corners for me, and i never even liked the TT in the first place!

tegwin

posted on 31/8/17 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pekwah1
Everyone seems to be slagging off the TT's handling, to be fair i thought it was great fun to drive and thought the quattro system worked really well.
Yes it's not the lightest car, but seemed to do pretty well in the corners for me, and i never even liked the TT in the first place!

Had yours been fiddled with? My remapped one was hopeless in corners. It just wouldn't give you enough power in the corners. Esc/haldex seemed to be holding back

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

pekwah1

posted on 31/8/17 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
No to be fair mine was the standard 225
nick205

posted on 1/9/17 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Is the TT not a Golf?

Not that that's a bad thing, the Golf's not a bad car.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.