Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Secuirity camera
Daf

posted on 7/3/18 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
Secuirity camera

Morning folks, bit of a strange one but many of you on here know a lot about a lot so thought I'd ask! Recently we've had a dog poo problem in the village where I life, it's gotten really bad and I have two young children and not only is it disgusting it's also toxic.

I want to set up a camera either on my house or in my car to try and catch the culprit, any suggestions on what I need? Is it possible to connect an old phone up to a PC and record the video to hard drive? Don't mind spending a bit of money, but obviously don't want to spend a fortune for the sake of having footage of a dog doing a poo!

Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

loggyboy

posted on 7/3/18 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Best option is cheap IP camera or CCTV set up.

Mistral Motorsport

tajgreidotu

posted on 7/3/18 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
https://alfred.camera/

This is what I used to protect my car when stored. Works great!

JonBowden

posted on 7/3/18 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
There is a stuff that you can buy that stops dogs wanting to poo near it.
We used it outside our house some years ago

Jon

SJ

posted on 7/3/18 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
I use cheap chinese IP cameras with the Tinycam Pro app. Automatically detects motion and records to Onedrive plus send me an email with an image. You just need to make sure you get a cheap camera that is widely supported.

These are fab for the price:
Link to KKmoon camera

Stu

hughpinder

posted on 7/3/18 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Many dashcams have the ability to be wired so always live. So get a dashcam - it may lower your insurance too.
I have just got one due to being hit for the second time in 2 years by people on the wrong side of the road going round blind bends down our lanes. In both cases no witnesses so they have gone 'knock for knock' which is counted as me to blame when I renew and affects my insurance quite a bit (by more than the cost of the dashcam anyway about a 50% increase).
Regards
Hugh

mistergrumpy

posted on 7/3/18 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
I just made one of these after I received a Raspberry Pi Zero W free with a magazine subscription. I just bought a V.1 camera for £3 odd and it works fine with motion detect.
ianhurley20

posted on 7/3/18 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
I've got a wildlife camera - easy to hide, works at night as well as day, batteries last months, and you can choose still or video pictures

Lits of makes around but an example here https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Garden-Wildlife-Camera-Full-HD-Digital-Surveillance-Night-Vision-Waterproof-/263025688912?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275. c10

Andi

posted on 7/3/18 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
We had the dog poo problem and reported it to the council who leafleted all the houses with threats of fines etc.
Worked a treat. The next day (and ever since in the last 3 years) no more dog poo.
TBH though I was very surprised when it worked.

Daf

posted on 8/3/18 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks folks, as ever great advice - the alfred cam seems to be doing the job, just the night vision of the camera is a bit poor

We've tried the council and they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot, villagers have put posters up and it's all over the village FB group but still the poo persists. It's got to the point where there is no alternative but to catch the culprit.

steve m

posted on 8/3/18 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
When I lived with my parents, we had this problem, as it was an open plan estate

My father used to go ballistic every time this happened

However, one of my sisters boyfriends, one very very late evening noticed this dog doing its stuff on our lawn
and followed the dog back to it house, and the owner let it in

I was woken up by my sister, to be told we had a dog poo mission going on, and we had a plan,
basically, we shovelled all this sh1t and others sh1t through the letterbox all at about 4 in the morning

There was never any dog mess ever again on that estate !!!

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Daf

posted on 8/3/18 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
When I lived with my parents, we had this problem, as it was an open plan estate

My father used to go ballistic every time this happened

However, one of my sisters boyfriends, one very very late evening noticed this dog doing its stuff on our lawn
and followed the dog back to it house, and the owner let it in

I was woken up by my sister, to be told we had a dog poo mission going on, and we had a plan,
basically, we shovelled all this sh1t and others sh1t through the letterbox all at about 4 in the morning

There was never any dog mess ever again on that estate !!!

I've ordered a wildlife camera like the one posted above, if I do find the culprit I wouldn't dream of such behaviour!

It's bloody dangerous stuff and I have 2 young kids, so I'm going ballistic myself!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.