<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Build time
andybird

posted on 14/8/18 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Build time

Hi all

Been lurking for a while.

Just about to start a haynes type car but my question is, presuming I am a competent mechanic but beginner welder how long would you think it will take to build? Ie hours?

nick205

posted on 14/8/18 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
A few questions first....

Are you buying a pre cut set of chassis parts to weld together?

Do you have the necessary tools already or will you have to stop and buy them?

Are you working alone on the project (helpers can or can't speed things up)?

Do you have suitable workspace available at home or will you have to travel to it?

I ask out of interest as I built an MK Indy kit. Started building in my parents garage, but live 13 miles away so travel to and from took up some time. My dad restores cars as a hobby so I had good access to tools and materials (brake pipe flairing tools etc.). All these little factors can play a significant factor in how long things take.

Don't let anmy of that put you off though - for me it was massively rewarding both in terms of learning and the end result

jps

posted on 14/8/18 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
I would say it's impossible to even guess in advance.
For example: I never thought it would take me 3 hours to deburr/countersink the 140 odd rivet holes in my floor panel. Or over an hour to get the viscous fan off my Pinto!

Depends massively on the specifics of your build and circumstances.

I would say that you could find (as I have) that things change as you go about doing a job. Fitting my GRP panels for example involved me cutting more off than I expected, so I effectively did the job about 3 times over...

andybird

posted on 14/8/18 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Hi thanks for the response.

I have all the tools apart from a welder which I will be buying prior to commencement.

Got a double garage setup ready to go as a workshop and I'll likely do 95% myself apart from stripping the doner.

I'll either buy a prebuilt chassis from an abandoned project or build it myself. I couldn't find anyone supplying pre cut tube, except one for £600!!

andybird

posted on 14/8/18 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
In regards to the build I am looking at the larger chassis 442 if I build it myself. Nothing too fancy but MX5 doner likely woth as much used as possible. Focus on budget not amazing specification. That's for the next one!

My brother was a chief technician for the PSA group and I've been modifying cars for 20 years, mostly Japanese turbocharged stuff

Confident on all of the build apart from the welding.

rusty nuts

posted on 14/8/18 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Before even thinking about welding up the chassis I would suggest you get some tuition or at least have a look at the mig welding forum for instructions , then practice,practice, practice. They will also give advice on a suitable welder ,gas and PPE. Put your location in your profile , there may be someone in your area that can help
andybird

posted on 14/8/18 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Before even thinking about welding up the chassis I would suggest you get some tuition or at least have a look at the mig welding forum for instructions , then practice,practice, practice. They will also give advice on a suitable welder ,gas and PPE. Put your location in your profile , there may be someone in your area that can help

Thanks

My preference is to buy one done but budget will dictate.

I figure as they say, build the welder a trolly first to practise etc!

I'm hoping alot of newbies at welding have a go as well!

loggyboy

posted on 14/8/18 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Depends on your personal situation. Any children due? house moves? Marriage/relationship? work? other DIY projects? Money?

A major change in any of those, or a minor changes in a few can result in delays.

I'm on year 7/8 thanks to 5 of those.

Mistral Motorsport

ReMan

posted on 14/8/18 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to get it moving soonest, I'd still look at getting a chassis made by one of the companys.
If you can budget for it. May save a lot of learning to get you onto the stuff you can do and its not cheating!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

andybird

posted on 14/8/18 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Depends on your personal situation. Any children due? house moves? Marriage/relationship? work? other DIY projects? Money?

A major change in any of those, or a minor changes in a few can result in delays.

None of the above that I'm aware of!

I'm thinking 2 hours a week plus one full day a month so circa 20+ hours a month.

Going to be focused and try to do it before anything happens. Want to be racing it may next year, doesn't need to be road legal by then but does need to be safe!

Theshed

posted on 14/8/18 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Once upon a time it could be done in a few weekends...

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/december-1963/58/building-lotus-7

If you keep it simple it could be done very quickly. Trouble is we all get carried away. I am on year 16......

big_wasa

posted on 14/8/18 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
I built the basic chassis in one week end. It just took another 10 years to finish it.
black fingernail
Contributor

Posts 144
Registered 2/7/09
Location devon

Photo Archive Go!
Building: finished? scratch built book locost with 1700 puma

posted on 14/8/18 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is a book Locost, I took 1 year from start to SVA test (passed first time), these cars are never 'finished'. I have been a mechanic and welder-fabricator for more years than I care to remember.
My advice, for what it is worth, is to give yourself a reasonable task for the work session, AND FINISH IT, then walk away until next time, if it takes not as long as you thought - happy days, if it takes a little longer - tough, plan it more carefully next time, do not leave unfinished jobs that you need to finish before getting on with the next bit, recapping the same job wastes so much time. Learn to 'get in the groove', especially where electrics are concerned, until the task in hand is done.
Discipline yourself carefully, and work around available parts as they come in, and make sure you have everything on hand for that particular task.
Above all, during your work session, do not bog yourself down by thinking too far ahead, try to concentrate on the job in hand, there is plenty of time for planning when you are not in the workshop, remember, this is supposed to be fun.
Get hold of a copy of the IVA manual, and work to it, you can't beat it, it will cost you money and gray hair if you try, and it will save you a lot of hassle.
Remember, any problems that may crop up, will have been discussed on this forum, so try to find it, or ask, there are some good lads on here that will help you out.
I hope these ramblings help.

andybird

posted on 14/8/18 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by black fingernail
Mine is a book Locost, I took 1 year from start to SVA test (passed first time), these cars are never 'finished'. I have been a mechanic and welder-fabricator for more years than I care to remember.
My advice, for what it is worth, is to give yourself a reasonable task for the work session, AND FINISH IT, then walk away until next time, if it takes not as long as you thought - happy days, if it takes a little longer - tough, plan it more carefully next time, do not leave unfinished jobs that you need to finish before getting on with the next bit, recapping the same job wastes so much time. Learn to 'get in the groove', especially where electrics are concerned, until the task in hand is done.
Discipline yourself carefully, and work around available parts as they come in, and make sure you have everything on hand for that particular task.
Above all, during your work session, do not bog yourself down by thinking too far ahead, try to concentrate on the job in hand, there is plenty of time for planning when you are not in the workshop, remember, this is supposed to be fun.
Get hold of a copy of the IVA manual, and work to it, you can't beat it, it will cost you money and gray hair if you try, and it will save you a lot of hassle.
Remember, any problems that may crop up, will have been discussed on this forum, so try to find it, or ask, there are some good lads on here that will help you out.
I hope these ramblings help.

Thank you. That's good advice.

gremlin1234

posted on 14/8/18 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
how long would you think it will take to build? Ie hours?
replace hours with years!
first thing to do is find a suitable donor, hopefully with a months mot so you can drive it a bit to see what wrong with it...

if buying a half built car, it can take longer to sort out their 'interpretation' of how to build it.

the first 80% takes at least 80% of the time, the rest takes another 80% or more

ReMan

posted on 14/8/18 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
20 hours a month?
I give it 2 years+ from scratch

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

black fingernail
Contributor

Posts 144
Registered 2/7/09
Location devon

Photo Archive Go!
Building: finished? scratch built book locost with 1700 puma

posted on 14/8/18 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
I agree with gremlin1234, except for the years bit, (always the negative waves Moriarty).
If you go with a scratch build, you MUST take a lot of care with the frame, everything fixes to it, and must fit properly, no elongating holes etc. take a bit of pride in it, it is for you, after all. This is one of the many reasons for 'unfinished projects' coming up for sale, they have rushed and 'cocked up' the frame, and things don't fit properly.
If you apply a bit of thought, you will save yourself time, for example, the many mounting brackets for the front wishbones and suspension, front and rear etc., can be cut from 50x50 box section, instead of all that tedious bending of flat bar.
A front to back wiring loom can be made out of 12 core trailer cable, keep engine wiring separate from the rest, and use the donor loom for this.
Keep everything simple, avoid weirdness, if you have any reservations about anything, sleep on it, think it through.
You will never be completely satisfied with it, but it is a lot easier to change things AFTER the IVA, general styling and tweaking, wheels, paint, wrapping, green stuff, led's, trick interior, fitted out boot, are things that can take years, so do this with a registered car, not a garage fixture or garden ornament.

Slater

posted on 14/8/18 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Mine took approx 400 hrs over 3 yrs, including donor strip, but I had chassis supplied in the MAC#1 kit.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

gremlin1234

posted on 14/8/18 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by black fingernail
Keep everything simple, avoid weirdness, if you have any reservations about anything, sleep on it, think it through.

yep you are right,

sleep on it and maybe 'ask the forum' when it gets difficult

internet makes it soooo much easier to build a kit car

andybird

posted on 14/8/18 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks alot!
Mr Whippy

posted on 15/8/18 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
One option may be to buy a second hand one already on the road (correctly registered) in the end it may cost you considerably less in the end even taking out a loan to pay for it over several years. Ok you would miss out on the building but would get more fun on the road time...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andybird

posted on 15/8/18 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
I've been trying to find the Haynes roadster book but I'm not paying amazon money for it. Even tempted to find a pdf download and donate £20 to charity!
nick205

posted on 15/8/18 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

True - house move, marriage and 3 kids each slowed me down building my MK Indy kit. Not drastically, but changes over time and has it's effects on car building activities. Even kids growing up and perhaps leaving for university or moving out of the house will have an effect.

big_wasa

posted on 15/8/18 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andybird
I've been trying to find the Haynes roadster book but I'm not paying amazon money for it. Even tempted to find a pdf download and donate £20 to charity!

Why what's the gong rate ?

andybird

posted on 15/8/18 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
£50 on amazon!

I paid £15 last time

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.