Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hose collapse-Help!
johnH20

posted on 4/3/19 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hose collapse-Help!

I have just completed my S/C installation on my MX5. This uses ( minimum length ) silicone elbows to join hard pipes for the intercooler. The TB is pre charger so that under closed throttle conditions the system is under vacuum. Despite the minimum exposed length the hoses collapse when warm. The collapse is not complete, the resulting cross section is sort of figure 8. This does not seem to affect driving but my rolling road man says the airflow is compromised to the extent he cannot calibrate properly. Hoses are seemingly good quality multi layer from Viking performance . Is there a form of stand alone ( internal ) spiral wire reinforcement available? Any other ideas welcome. TIA.
coyoteboy

posted on 4/3/19 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Really isn't a great place to use silicone hose. You should be using aluminium hose and silicone connectors. Alu hose is incredibly cheap.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-2-25Inch-57mm-Alloy-Aluminium-Pipe-Straight-100mm-Brushed-Swaged-Join/183684602555?hash=item2ac4749abb:g:EaoAAOSw Xq5cZHr~

[Edited on 4/3/19 by coyoteboy]

Paul TVR

posted on 4/3/19 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Twin throttle would solve it?
russbost

posted on 5/3/19 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Could you not slide ali tube inside the hoses to reduce the unsupported distance between pipes?

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
40inches

posted on 5/3/19 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Use ally bends with straight silicone joiners? You could get the ally tubing to butt join eBay Item
johnH20

posted on 5/3/19 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the inputs. Problem is I cannot get tight enough ali bend to suit due to height of intercooler. This is already on the ground clearance line so I cannot lower it. I am considering a clamshell type tight exhaust bend as an option. Will not look good but should work.
theduck

posted on 5/3/19 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
get the intercooler adjusted so the in and out dont need bends?
johnH20

posted on 5/3/19 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Well in searching exhaust bends I think I have found the answer. For the benefit of anyone else finding themselves in this position I have found that stainless steel mandrel bends are available with bend radius equal to pipe diameter ( have not found any ali ones that tight ) so that should work for me. Should look ok too. Ebay here I come!
pewe

posted on 6/3/19 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Wind your own coil spring from stiff wire and insert into the silicon pipes?
QED.
Cheers, Pewe10

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.