Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Current kitcar market
Gav

posted on 30/3/19 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
Current kitcar market

Hi All,

Been a while, probably around 9 years or so!
After adventures into other hobbies, I now find myself looking back towards getting a track day car or kit car.
Possibly looking at something like an MX5/RX8 or 350Z, however I there is always the option of another kit car.
After building a locost with a blade engine, I'm probably looking at something with a bit more refinement without spending caterham/westfield prices.
It seems like MNR are still one of the better options with MK no longer being owned by MK?
Thank god GTS are gone! (my build used bodywork and wishbones from GTS, eventually...)

I was just wondering what peoples thoughts are on it?

big_wasa

posted on 30/3/19 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Mnr (mx5) donor
Gbs (mx5) donor

I still wouldn't discount an Mk

Would be on my list, Westfield if I had more of an upfront deposit as the resale value and ease of sale will be better.

posted on 30/3/19 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
I don't see the point of using an MX5 as a donor car as it's already an excellent car in its own right,
and you can buy one and mod it for track use for less money than build a kit car.

Paul G

Gav

posted on 30/3/19 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I agree about the mx5 based kits.
Just getting back into this, their doesn't seem to be the same buzz about the kitcar market?
Maybe I should get myself to a show or two this year.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 30/3/19 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
There’s only one show now stoneliegh beginning of May
Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 940
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 31/3/19 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Have you seen the MX-5 based car from MK ?
It uses a LOT of bits from the MX-5 which makes it very cheap. You can buy a cheap MX-5 for about £500, take all your bits off it and sell the rest of it for more than £500!! (Donor parts = free)
Buy a cheap MX5, drive it until the MOT runs out and then build a kit. You’ll know how good the drive train is because you’ve been driving it.
MK have been developing their car since taking over and they make some nice bling bits for it (if you’re into that). You need to get over to see them or hook up with them at Stoneleigh - it’s a well put together car complete with a manual !

flak monkey

posted on 31/3/19 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
I chose not to go the MX5 donor route, even though I already have one. Mainly because they really arent that tunable for sensible money unless you want to put a turbo on them, or stick cams and high compression pistons in (not cheap!).

Good if you are happy with 115hp in stock form or 200hp with a turbo, but that's not a cheap option once you get into better clutches and gearbox breakages...

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

posted on 1/4/19 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
I chose not to go the MX5 donor route, even though I already have one. Mainly because they really arent that tunable for sensible money unless you want to put a turbo on them, or stick cams and high compression pistons in (not cheap!).

Good if you are happy with 115hp in stock form or 200hp with a turbo, but that's not a cheap option once you get into better clutches and gearbox breakages...

115hp is the poverty spec one.

My 1.8L VVT Sport is 146hp in standard form, and with an LSD & 6 speed box (standard fitment) it's a
faster car round the track than my 180hp Lotus engined Suttol.

Roll on the 14th as the AutoSolo season starts then. YAAAAAAY !

Paul G

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.