Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone had any experience with the modern Fiat 500?
David Jenkins

posted on 8/4/19 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone had any experience with the modern Fiat 500?

I'm looking for a runabout that my wife can use for local trips such as shopping. The modern Fiat 500 seems to fit the bill, but I have absolutely no knowledge of them, e.g. what they're like to drive, reliability, known problem areas and so on. Looking for "good", "bad", "wouldn't touch them with barge-pole" opinions to start with, followed by details, if possible.

Can anyone here help me out?

Ta in advance...

swanny

posted on 8/4/19 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
a friend has one and while she loves it, she is losing patience after multiple electrical issues. not sure if this is a wider problem or just her car but it seems to be one thing after another for her.
rdodger

posted on 8/4/19 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
A friend has the 2cyl one. She likes it but is hasn't been very reliable and both door handles broke, new radiator, clutch and a few other bits I can't remember in 35,000. Fuel economy is rubbish too.
David Jenkins

posted on 8/4/19 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swanny
a friend has one and while she loves it, she is losing patience after multiple electrical issues. not sure if this is a wider problem or just her car but it seems to be one thing after another for her.

Hmm - Italian bikes used to have a reputation for wiring made out of tinsel that would break at the slightest touch. Maybe Fiat cars are no better, even now?

David Jenkins

posted on 8/4/19 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
A friend has the 2cyl one. She likes it but is hasn't been very reliable and both door handles broke, new radiator, clutch and a few other bits I can't remember in 35,000. Fuel economy is rubbish too.

It sounds like I should rethink my bright idea - the design is nice for a small car, but I can't be doing with something that always needs attention.

I might investigate the Toyota Aygo, which was our "Plan B" choice.

[Edited on 8/4/19 by David Jenkins]

rusty nuts

posted on 8/4/19 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Door handles are a common problem and electric steering columns cause problems amongst other things
dickie b

posted on 8/4/19 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
The Mrs has a 1.4 sport with 6 speed gearbox - has been totally reliable, rapid enough and a hoot
to drive . My only gripes have been a high seating position, a steering wheel that is a bit too chunky in its design, plus a cd/radio that is just annoying to use (volume buttons rather than a dial) - but that’s just me being picky.
Parts are dirt cheap and the car is pretty simple to fix.
Lots of fun to be had lobbing it about too.

Shooter63

posted on 8/4/19 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
My Mrs had a twin air ( I think that was what it was called) automatic, I think I can quite honestly say it was the biggest P.O.S I have ever been in and I've been in a reliant regal

Shooter

nick205

posted on 9/4/19 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:

It sounds like I should rethink my bright idea - the design is nice for a small car, but I can't be doing with something that always needs attention.

Don't know anything about the new (or old) Fiat 500s.

IIRC the Toyota Aygo is closely related to ther Peugeot 108 and Citroen C1. As a family of 5 we're given a Peugeot 108 as a hire car on holiday last year. It only has 2 seat belts on the rear seats - pay attention if you need 3 on the rear seat!

se7ensport

posted on 9/4/19 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Aygo or Yaris (or the Citroen, Pug alternatives).

We have 4 Yaris and one C1 within immediate family, all have been very reliable and loved by their owners.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 9/4/19 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
As above post best supermini you can buy
David Jenkins

posted on 24/4/19 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Well, we made our minds up - we've just put a deposit on a 3-and-a-bit-year-old Citroen C1.

Nice little car to drive around in, although it really is a "2 adults and 2 legless paraplegics" car. The only thing I wasn't so keen on was the very bright turquoise colour, but my wife likes it...

It's just about ideal for the driving my wife wants to do.

Thanks to everyone for their guidance & recommendations.

rusty nuts

posted on 24/4/19 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with a very torques paint job!
rusty nuts

posted on 24/4/19 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with a very torques paint job!
MikeRJ

posted on 25/4/19 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Also have a look at the Suzuki Swift, awesome little cars (especially the 1.6 Sport).

loggyboy

posted on 25/4/19 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Looked at them with Ex quite a few years back. Walked away laughing when we pressed the hazard button on the dash and all the other buttons moved at the same time. Laughable build quality for a modern car.
David Jenkins

posted on 25/4/19 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
Looked at them with Ex quite a few years back. Walked away laughing when we pressed the hazard button on the dash and all the other buttons moved at the same time. Laughable build quality for a modern car.

The place I'm buying it from had 2 Citroen C1's - the one we're getting is the current model, and there was also a previous model there. I would probably agree with you on the older one, but the later one is very solid inside - it was clearly better than the previous one.

jacko

posted on 26/4/19 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
The Wife has had a 500 for 5 years now and loves it the only thing that has gone wrong with it is it got a flat tyre one day
I like to drive it too because it reminds me of the old type mini
jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr Whippy

posted on 27/4/19 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
I have vw up which is fantastic and I just love it. Costs me £20 a year road tax and does a genuine 74mpg yet got 110mph on the flat its like a tardis inside too. Honest 10/10 for the design.

[Edited on 27/4/19 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 27/4/19 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
Wife's new car is a similar colour - just a bit more luminous!

SJ

posted on 27/4/19 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

quote:
quote:

Also have a look at the Suzuki Swift, awesome little cars (especially the 1.6 Sport).

+1 for the Swift. We bought one for my wife a couple of years ago. It's a 2016 SZ4 - only a 1.2 but with 94BHP it is plenty fast enough and road tax is zero. Not had anything go wrong so far and it has plenty of electrical goodies like stop start, keyless entry, nav etc.

My wife does very few miles so I didn't want anything turbo'd and the old model Swift like ours has a chain driven 16v naturally aspirated i4 motor.

It handles nicely as well.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.