2. turbo hybrid up to 250 ish bhp 3 (50%) ------------------»
3. don’t bother and sell the ST engine to by beer. 3 (50%) ------------------»
Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New engine build.
furryeggs

posted on 27/5/19 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
New engine build.

I have an ST170 engine in my garage and want to re build it over the summer to fit in my tiger in the winter. I have 3 options...

1: NA St170 using my current TB’s, sump exhaust etc and running the VVT (new K6 ECU) cheapest solution, £700 for the ECU.

2: Turbo hybrid using a blacktop head with ST valve springs, st bottom end with RS gasket, modified st exhaust for turbo, turbo plenum with st TB, using existing K3 ECU. (not the cheapest option). I’d need turbo & pipework, intercooler, oil lines, new clutch, boost controller etc. I recon £1000-£1500

3: Leave it as is and buy beer instead.

[Edited on 27/5/19 by furryeggs]

big_wasa

posted on 27/5/19 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I am doing B. It should have been on the road for Stonleigh. Should have

It’s all taking some squeezing into a 7.

Turbo is the cheap bit. It seems to fit best if you top mount it. I’ve tried it both ways and plumbing is so much better if you top mount it.

Scooby turbo is ideal for a modest Zetec. And the flange will take a Vf35 or td05 if you want to go nuts.
It needs clocking to suit and the only hard bit was getting the waste gate actuator under the bonnet.
Oil supply is easy. The block is already tapped. Go braided will do you a hose for around £30. It wants to be around 105cm long for a top mount turbo.
Coolant feed, either tap the block next to the thermostat housing or get an Rs billet stat sandwich plate. Return is to the bypass hose.
Oil drain is a straight drop down to my Raceline sump where I’ve tapped it for an An10 fitting.

What’s doing my head in is the cooling. I’ve bought the coolex pack but it’s not going in an Indy nose no matter what I do.

Ford no longer sell the Rs 1.8mm gasket. Burtons do a Cometec that’s around the same thickness. To be honest I’ve got a spare block and if I keep it I will get it forged next winter.

Where I have spent money, a lot of money is the little things.

Shooter63

posted on 27/5/19 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I am also doing B and in all honesty should of gone for C, I've got more room than Wasa, and it's still a mare, trying to get the water hoses piped in has been ridiculous, everything has had to go under the turbo including the top hose if it works it will be a miracle. I've plumbed the turbo cooler pipes into the top and bottom hoses see above about miracles, as for costs budget twice what you think.

Shooter

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.