Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Caught speeding :(
bi22le

posted on 26/7/19 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Caught speeding :(

I dont want sympathy, I know I did bad.

But what should I expect? 52 in a 40 in Essex.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

sdh2903

posted on 26/7/19 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Band A. 3 points and 25-75% of weekly wage as a fine.
David Jenkins

posted on 26/7/19 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
First offence, or do you have a history of speeding?

If it's a one-off then you may get away with a speed awareness course - that's what my wife got when she was caught doing 36 in a 30 zone (just over the border in Suffolk). It'll cost you roughly the same as the speeding fine, but no points.

steve m

posted on 26/7/19 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
As David says, take the course if its offered, I did, £90for the course or £60 and 3 points fine

I actually enjoyed the course, I know you have to go in as a naughty boy, but I
honestly learnt some stuff, that I never new before!!

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

bi22le

posted on 26/7/19 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Last time I was caught speeding was probably 8+ years ago. I did a speed awareness then and it was rubbish. I was the first person I knew that went on one and I have heard since that they are pretty good.

I'll take £90 and a speed awareness although insurance companies have cottened onto these now haven't they? You still need to disclose them, which means they will change me more for another 5 years.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

mark chandler

posted on 26/7/19 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
Cannot see you getting offered a course @ 12mph over the limit, you get these for less than 5mph.

I'd budget £100, but then with the means testing that I know nothing about maybe more.

mccsp

posted on 26/7/19 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.evo.co.uk/news/18773/uk-speeding-fines-2019-what-are-the-latest-penalties-for-drivers

Depends on current earnings but if not offered a speed awareness course likely to be a bit more than £100

Speed awareness course was good when I did one last year. Take it if offered. Not obliged to disclose to insurance company unless they explicitly ask.

Why do it the easy way, when I can do things my way!

UncleFista

posted on 27/7/19 at 02:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
<snip>You still need to disclose them, which means they will change me more for another 5 years.

You do, but there's no central database for them to request info from, yet, so it depends on how honest you're feeling.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

mccsp

posted on 27/7/19 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
https://www.rias.co.uk/news-and-guides/tips-and-guides/do-i-have-to-declare-a-speed-awareness-course/

Worth a read.

Towards the end it suggests advised to tell insurance company.

But what it says about instructors advice is interesting as it is where my statement above came from, which would appear to be contrary to the advice in the article above.

Why do it the easy way, when I can do things my way!

loggyboy

posted on 27/7/19 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
What were details of offence? Camera, vascar, radar etc? Via NIP or face to face?
bi22le

posted on 27/7/19 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Fixed camera, located at a traffic lights. I had always assumed it was for red light jumping only. I caught the orange with haste.

Mine just says "intention to Prosecute" at the top and not "Notice of intention to prosecute". Is there a difference?

Paul_Arion

posted on 27/7/19 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
I think you will hopefully just be within the threshold for the course - generally wouldn’t be offered to anyone at 10% +9mph over the limit so 53mph would appear to be where the line is drawn. Fingers crossed you’re offered the course
loggyboy

posted on 28/7/19 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Fixed camera, located at a traffic lights. I had always assumed it was for red light jumping only. I caught the orange with haste.

Mine just says "intention to Prosecute" at the top and not "Notice of intention to prosecute". Is there a difference?

Letter arrive within 14 days of offence?

jimhammer

posted on 28/7/19 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Same offence in Essex 37 in a 30, to fast for course £100 and 3 points.
steve m

posted on 28/7/19 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
44 in a 30, static camera in Surrey

I got a speed awareness course, in Sussex

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

CosKev3

posted on 28/7/19 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
West Mercia and North Wales forces wouldn't offer you the course that far above the limit.
nick205

posted on 28/7/19 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard before that not all police forces offer the speed awareness course, I've also heard that where offered the course only applies to the 30mph limit.

This may or may not be true of course!

I was caught speeding some years ago (in a 30mph area) and offered the course (Hampshire). I took the course and it was ok, it avoided getting points so seemed a good option for me. I don't know what current insurance obligations to declare this are, but at that time there was no obligation to declare so again it seemed a good option for me.

Keep us posted on what happens.

larchtree

posted on 28/7/19 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys

Just for info, I completed a driver awareness course about 2 weeks ago, have to say great instructors at Runcorn.

Caught on M62 in smart m/way, no screens, doing 85, the threshold was 86 - phew! And at least three years since the last one!
Very much my own fault!

Cheers
Dave

sdh2903

posted on 28/7/19 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
Dont get caught speeding north of the border as the courses dont exist up here. Although the fines are not as big. Although the plods seem to be on a purge at the minute and are acting all Gestapo-like.

I got pulled over in the works van the other day by a copper going the other way who 'thought I was going too fast', nope all the Vans have trackers and I'm on the clock so no point. I have a lot of time for the guys and gals in blue doing a crappy job for crappy money, but theres really no need to act like a knob. A small minority I know (or hope)

nick205

posted on 29/7/19 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by larchtree
Hi Guys

Just for info, I completed a driver awareness course about 2 weeks ago, have to say great instructors at Runcorn.

Caught on M62 in smart m/way, no screens, doing 85, the threshold was 86 - phew! And at least three years since the last one!
Very much my own fault!

Cheers
Dave

I stand corrected there on the 30mph limit only.

AlexXtreme

posted on 30/7/19 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
I was told in Wiltshire that they only run the courses if you are over the limit on the 30 and 40mph zones when I attended a speed awareness course. I think requirements varies from county to county.

In general I thought the course was really good and it makes a difference on who is running it. I friend attended a course at the same location and it was very poor.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.