Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cranking speed with Odyssey PC680
Streetfighterpete

posted on 2/4/20 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Cranking speed with Odyssey PC680

Hi guys,

Hope everyone is staying safe and well in these strange times.

I have been using my lockdown time to good effect in the garage and have got to the stage of having a go at starting my car for the first time. I'm having a few issues with cranking speed from the starter motor and just wanted to gauge opinion. I do have an issue with the starter that I need to resolve in that the Bendix seems to get stuck against the flywheel pinion, so I need to sort that out (everything is new BTW), but I just wanted to ask a question. I'm using a PC680 Odyssey battery, engine is 2.0 Blacktop Zetec married to MT75 gearbox. It doesn't seem to crank over at massively high speed even though I have no plugs in. Its made me question the engine build, but I cant think of anything that was amiss and the engine will turn over OK with a ratchet on the flywheel. Any advice, experience, thoughts or feedback please?

Cheers

Pete

rusty nuts

posted on 2/4/20 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
It may well be the pinion to ring gear clearance causing your problem? I think I would resolve that problem first, then double check the engine earth strap and connections
Nickp

posted on 2/4/20 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
I have a PC680 equivelent (Extreme) and it spins my 6 pot BMW engine over no bother at all.
tims31

posted on 2/4/20 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have one on my Zetec 2.0ltr and Type 9 and spins no problem.

What starter and flywheel do you have fitted?

Check your earths, i have two straps fitted to my engine

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

starterman

posted on 2/4/20 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
What starter do you have fitted?

Also how do you know the bendix is jamming against the flywheel?

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 2/4/20 by starterman]

Streetfighterpete

posted on 3/4/20 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
I have an LRS707 fitted. I have looked at the old starter and the gear diameter, number of teeth and offset is identical. I know that the Bendix was sticking as I couldn't turn the engine over via the crank pulley because the starter was still engaged. I have read online that on some cars you have to shim the starter to give the correct pinion to flywheel clearance - is that the case here? I could put a shim under one of the bolts to slightly alter the clearance?
Streetfighterpete

posted on 3/4/20 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Oh - I'm using a Zetec 1.8 flywheel
rusty nuts

posted on 3/4/20 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Streetfighterpete
I could put a shim under one of the bolts to slightly alter the clearance?

That will have the effect of tipping the starter and possibly breaking off a mounting lug .
Measure the distance from the starter mounting flange to the ring gear and also the starter to work out the thickness of any shims . It would probably be OK to use washers as a temporary measure just to test?

steve m

posted on 3/4/20 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Does it crank over any better with a conventional Car battery, or even with jump leads to your tintop as an extra boost
If it does, then pc 680 is probably knackered

Have you made sure that every connection from battery to starter, and starter to chassis,
chassis to battery are spotlessly clean and good, and that nothing is going to ground while your cranking

last resort is the starter is duff, check the brushes, and clean the stator connections

It can only be one of the above, and even if the engine is a fresh build, with no plugs in should spin over very well

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Streetfighterpete

posted on 3/4/20 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Does it crank over any better with a conventional Car battery, or even with jump leads to your tintop as an extra boost
If it does, then pc 680 is probably knackered

Have you made sure that every connection from battery to starter, and starter to chassis,
chassis to battery are spotlessly clean and good, and that nothing is going to ground while your cranking

last resort is the starter is duff, check the brushes, and clean the stator connections

It can only be one of the above, and even if the engine is a fresh build, with no plugs in should spin over very well

steve

Hi Steve,

New PC680 and starter motor, so unlikely to be one of those, but not beyond the realms of possibility so worth a check thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.