Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mt75 gearbox tools for dismantling
cliftyhanger

posted on 26/5/20 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
mt75 gearbox tools for dismantling

Started to look at my MT75 gearbox with a view to strip/check and new seals etc.
First stumbling block is the deep 30mm thinwall 12pt socket, but located one of those.
However, at the front it asks for a special tool, 16-040A "guide sleeve wrench" which appears to be a 24pt approx 50mm socket on a long tube.

Has anybody taken one of these boxes apart? If so how did you get over the problem of this special tool?
My current idea is to try a bit of scaffold pole and a grinder to cut the "teeth", but if there is a better way I would dearly love to know!

big_wasa

posted on 26/5/20 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
It’s been done diy by some one on here by Cutting and sleeving a bi hex 46mm socket. I am told they need serious torque to undo them.
cliftyhanger

posted on 26/5/20 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers, I will have a look at that. Gearbox not currently at my place, so need to get a decent look at what is required. I was hoping there may be a simple solution, but it appears not.
Still, plenty to be getting on with. Earning a living is currently back on the cards.
EDIT
So best bet appears to be (1) purchase a 46mm 12pt socket, chop the drive bit off and weld a length of scaffold pole to it. That should make a serious "box spanner"

[Edited on 26/5/20 by cliftyhanger]

perksy

posted on 26/5/20 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
The spider on the rear of the box can be a sod to remove to replace the rear oil seal
Well it was with the box still in the Westfield anyway
I broke a standard puller doing it and ended up using an Hydraulic puller from work in the end

The was an MT75 gearbox manual online a while ago with all the torque settings etc, so it might be worth a search?

r1_pete

posted on 27/5/20 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, I did one a few months back, I built a V6 2wd box from a 4x4 and 2.0L box.

To get the release bearing guide sleeve off, I used a hardwood drift through the clutch arm aperture.

That was the easy bit, I had to make several pullers, some of the bearings have very small recesses for puller fingers. For the layshaft bearings I ground the race down to breaking point...

PM me anything specific, I still have the tools I made, a bit crude but they worked.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 27/5/20 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Yes, I did one a few months back, I built a V6 2wd box from a 4x4 and 2.0L box.

To get the release bearing guide sleeve off, I used a hardwood drift through the clutch arm aperture.

That was the easy bit, I had to make several pullers, some of the bearings have very small recesses for puller fingers. For the layshaft bearings I ground the race down to breaking point...

PM me anything specific, I still have the tools I made, a bit crude but they worked.

Cheers for that, but it is a friend who does my gearboxes and stuff. He recently retired from being a forklift mechanic, and brought all his tools home. He has quite an array of pullers, drifts and so on, including a number of tools he has made over the years. Sadly he only has a 3/4 drive 30mm socket, which is too chunky to access the rear nut. And the front guide he reckons he will now have a go at making a "socket" from some 8mm plate, and get me to weld it onto a bit of scaffold pole. He is bored at home..... (I did say I would buy a 46mm bihex socket, but he insisted that he should try to make something!)

r1_pete

posted on 27/5/20 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Right,

I bored a socket to fit the rear nut, it reduced the depth of the square drive but it worked.
Figured I'd only use it once so wasn't too worried about breaking it, but it did the job fine.

You're welcome to borrow it, or, if its easier I'll post a pic for you to copy.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cliftyhanger

posted on 27/5/20 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a call.
Chappie found a 46mm socket. Reckoned 30+ years old and never used. He has cut it in half, chamfered and it fits each end of a scaffold tube. He has also fitted a bearing inside the tube so it is supported on the input shaft. He will pop it down to me for welding, he can't do that anymore since he had a pacemaker fitted.

I will report back in a few days.

[Edited on 28/5/20 by cliftyhanger]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.