Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dyson V7 cordless vacuum - battery failed?
nick205

posted on 3/3/23 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Dyson V7 cordless vacuum - battery failed?

Afternoon all,

Have a Dyson V7 cordless vacuum cleaner. Excellent to use and been very pleased with it.

Despite charging it (on the charging dock it came with) the run time decreased from around 30 minutes to now not working.

I've removed the battery pack and tested across the charging input contacts with a multi-meter and get 2-300 milli Volts. The rating on the label is 21.6 Volts.

Questions

1. Is my multi-meter test valid and indicating a worn outbattery pack?

2. If not, how else can I test it?

Not wanting to spend out £65 on a new (genuine Dyson) battery without some certainty thats the problem.

David Jenkins

posted on 3/3/23 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Some advanced battery management systems won't show the full voltage unless all the connections are made properly - but I doubt even Dyson would be that fussy.

There is a high probability that the battery is knackered. Do you have access to another battery as a comparison?

nick205

posted on 3/3/23 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Not another Dyson battery, only AA rechargeable batteries. Looking at the size/shape of the Dyson battery pack I suspect it's 6 x 18650 cells inside it.
daviep

posted on 3/3/23 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Replaced our V6 battery with a generic one from amazon approx. £40 and has lasted way better than the original, been in use for for 5 years now. Branded "flylinktech" however you pay your money and take your chance with that kind of stuff.

Regards
David

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

russbost

posted on 4/3/23 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
A voltage test means nothing without having a substantial load on it, if the voltage was holding up under load then it would be working

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
nick205

posted on 4/3/23 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
daviep

Noted.

I've ordered from Amazon "BATOOL".

Higher mAH rating £33.

Arriving Tuesday, will report success.

nick205

posted on 4/3/23 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
russbost

Noted also.

No obvious way of getting a load on it and testing. Too much plastic!

JoelP

posted on 4/3/23 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is an amazon replacement too. Its been perfect.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

nick205

posted on 6/3/23 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
My Amazon purchase "BATOOL" Dyson V7 spec. battery pack arrived yesterday afternoon. Unpacked and all seemed good, it looked right, the spec. label read correct and it fits correctly. Fitted it to the vacuum and it worked (ggod start). Instructions advised to charge, so it went back in the Dyson charger. To be tested vacuuming this evening when I get home from work.

All looking good so far.

Time will tell how well it performs and lasts!

nick205

posted on 22/4/23 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Some extra feedback...

The purchased battery didn't do the job. Worked for a few minutes then back to pulsing and no performance.

Returned and refunded no issue.

Flylinktech (as recommended above) now on it's way from Amazon. Last chance then it's new (corded) vacuum time.

nick205

posted on 25/4/23 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
Flylinktech battery + replacement filters arrived yesterday. Fitted and been charging overnight.

Testing later today.

Slimy38

posted on 25/4/23 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Ours pulses when it needs a clean. Every month or so I have to strip it down and give it a clean with my garage Henry, then it'll carry on working.

I find them very irritating to be honest, but my wife loves it. I'll stick to my 'so much suction it lifts the carpets' Henry.

Russell

posted on 25/4/23 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Some extra feedback...

The purchased battery didn't do the job. Worked for a few minutes then back to pulsing and no performance.

Flylinktech (as recommended above) now on it's way from Amazon. Last chance then it's new (corded) vacuum time.

Pulsing means the airflow is blocked. When the battery is failing it'll run for a few seconds then cut out.

coyoteboy

posted on 25/4/23 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
We used a fleet of V7's in work for lightweight spot cleaning duties. Batteries all lasted a year or so and then failed. I'm really not that impressed by battery tools I'm afraid, too fussy and too failure prone in general.

geoff shep

posted on 25/4/23 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Some extra feedback...

Yes, I don't think pulsing in itself is a battery issue (which may also be worn out) - it is usually due to a blockage somewhere. Search for Dyson V6 pulsing eg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sfafk4FljM

You can check it easily by just removing the central filter and seeing if it will run.

You can get replacement filter sets which help. We have also replaced the battery when it wouldn't hold any charge and for another got a higher capacity battery which is heaps better as it will now run for at least double the time. We also had to replace the charger - which can also be made to fit into the original housing.

[Edited on 25/4/23 by geoff shep]

nick205

posted on 25/4/23 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
We used a fleet of V7's in work for lightweight spot cleaning duties. Batteries all lasted a year or so and then failed. I'm really not that impressed by battery tools I'm afraid, too fussy and too failure prone in general.

Have to agree - I'm not a great fan of battery powered things myself. Cordless drills seem to work OK, but most other things are pretty fussy and failure prone.

As I mentioned above my aged Samsung corded vacuum still goes like stink and will happily have a go at peeling carpet off the floor.

Prof_Cook

posted on 25/4/23 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Had same problem - (pulsing then turning off) turned out to be blockage in the detachable "head". Not easily visible but found when tried to push a cable tie past the motorised bar sweeper into the centre of the "head" outlet.
nick205

posted on 26/4/23 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Prof_Cook
Had same problem - (pulsing then turning off) turned out to be blockage in the detachable "head". Not easily visible but found when tried to push a cable tie past the motorised bar sweeper into the centre of the "head" outlet.

BINGO - BINGO - BINGO!

Tested my Dyson V7 last night with Flykintech new battery, both filters replaced (motorhead pull out and motorhead rear screw on) and the long wand with detachable head.

Pulsing then turning off - aaaargh not again surely!

Removed pull out filter and it ran full pelt, perfectly OK.

Removed the wand with detachable head. Dismantled detachable head (7 Torx screws) and unclogged it (massive clod of carpet fluff and SWMBO + daughter hair). Reassembled the detachable head and reassembled the wand to the vacuum.

Retest and all running 100% with no pulsing and sucking very well.

Finally a happy chap (very annoyed I didn't do the detachable head before though).

Prof_Cook

posted on 26/4/23 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Glad you didn't have to buy a new vac...
nick205

posted on 26/4/23 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
You and me both, money better spent on other things.
scudderfish

posted on 26/4/23 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

That would suck.

McLannahan

posted on 27/4/23 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:

That would suck.

At least the old one wouldn't sit in the corner gathering dust....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.