Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lightened Flywheel
slim Jim

posted on 1/5/06 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
Lightened Flywheel

Good Evening All,

Hope you have alhad a good bank holiday weekend!

I am after a bit of advice on a lightened flywheel. I intend to put one on my Pinto engine but am unsure of how light to go (I want to stick with a standard clutch btw)

I release that acceleration will be quicker with a lighter flywheel but there is also the down side of poor idle, difficulty in pulling away, lower engine breaking and greater loss in revs at gear change.

So my question is how light do i go? What have other people done/found? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also any pointers on where is a good place to get a steel flywheel from? I have seen them on the Burton Power site and also someone selling the on ebay...any other placeI should look?

Many thanks in advance
James

Krismc

posted on 1/5/06 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
i bought mine from tiger for £100 for the flywheel and £40 for the ring gear, its a pinto one but im using it on a zetec

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

scoop

posted on 2/5/06 at 07:25 AM Reply With Quote
I had mine reduced to 5.6kg from about 9kg i think. Read the stuff on Puma engines from the links mate. I havent driven mine yet but i have driven a couple of cars that have lightened 'wheels and i would say its worth doing for a fast road/track car.
Steve

britishtrident

posted on 2/5/06 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
If its a 2 litre stick a 1600 flywheel witha 7.5" clutch on.
andyharding

posted on 4/5/06 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
I have one of these and it's the dogs:-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-PINTO-ultra-light-flywheel_W0QQitemZ8062715912QQcategoryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Managed to get the ring gear off the old flywheel and re-use it.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

slim Jim

posted on 4/5/06 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies guys!

quote:
Originally posted by andyharding

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-PINTO-ultra-light-flywheel_W0QQitemZ8062715912QQcategoryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have seen these on ebay but thought that they may be a bit too light and cause quite a big loss in revs on gear changes and make it more difficult to pull away without stalling. Is your's in and running? If so how do you find it from this point of view?

Cheers James

andyharding

posted on 4/5/06 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I currently have it on a 1.6 Pinto and will be moving it to my new 2.0L when it's ready. I've done over 1000 miles with it and I have only stalled once. The only negative is that I need to set my idle speed to 1000-1200RPM or it goes lumpy.

If I was doing it again I would go with the racing clutch version to lose even more weight. The standard clutch cover has more weight than the light flywheel.

quote:
Originally posted by slim Jim
Thanks for the replies guys!

quote:
Originally posted by andyharding

I have seen these on ebay but thought that they may be a bit too light and cause quite a big loss in revs on gear changes and make it more difficult to pull away without stalling. Is your's in and running? If so how do you find it from this point of view?

Cheers James

[Edited on 4/5/06 by andyharding]

caber

posted on 4/5/06 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
You can take a lot of weight off the standard flywheel That's the way I am heading. There is a huge ridge on the back that can be machined off and you can cut down the hub a fair bit, that should do me and cost less than a steel one

Caber

andyharding

posted on 5/5/06 at 06:17 AM Reply With Quote
I was quoted around £80 for lightening and balancing. My feet are worth more than the difference to me.

quote:
Originally posted by caber
You can take a lot of weight off the standard flywheel That's the way I am heading. There is a huge ridge on the back that can be machined off and you can cut down the hub a fair bit, that should do me and cost less than a steel one

Caber

flak monkey

posted on 5/5/06 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Lightened std flywheel:

Just needs dynamically balancing on the crank. Not expensive if I can find somewhere to do it

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Liam

posted on 5/5/06 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
If you're lucky enough to have a cnc machinist buddy - you can get a blingy ally flywheel made to your own design for free (well, the cost of a big lump of 7075). Ring gear was a lucky find from a mountain of random flywheels and torque converter plates at my local japanese breakers. Weighs 4.9kg with the ring gear and friction surface, but OH MY GOD the standard XR4x4 clutch is a heavy!!

Liam Rescued attachment DSCF0012.JPG
Rescued attachment DSCF0012.JPG

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bimbleuk

posted on 7/5/06 at 05:52 AM Reply With Quote
Nice looks just like my Fidanza flywheel fitted to a 20V 4AGE.

Don't ask how much that was though! I bought it in a weak moment browsing the parts store at RAW.

Noodle

posted on 7/5/06 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
My friend's just made one for a beetle engine. 3.5kg including ring gear.

He's also made the starter and flywheel for Nic Mann's new helicopter-engine-powered-turbo car. Now that's silly.

Your sort make me sick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.