Board logo

Pipercross airfilter - space between stacks - filter?
Northpole - 14/11/14 at 11:24 PM

I did post about velocity stacks earlier, but I need to ask here if anyone can give me good advices about this subject.

I have only small space between the bonnet and the airfilter in my car. Therefore I am looking at what type of Pipercross foam filter I can use.

I tried C5001 which is a boxfilter and only 40 mm high, 28-30 mm internal height, which means the space between the stacks (which are all 4 low now) and the filter is only 2 mm, as the stacks are 25 mm high from the base plate.
- That is not enough I am told, as the foam filter could be sucked in the engine.

So now I am looking at a Domed type of filter and like C502d and a base plate pxc5039. This filter is 65 mm high and 40 mm space inside the filter.
Which gives me appr 15 mm space between the stacks and the filter. - Is 15 mm space here okay?
Has anyone experience with this?
Thanks

big-vee-twin - 15/11/14 at 08:51 AM

I have the PX 600 type - pipercross reccomend at least 20mm gap between the end of the
Trumpet/stack and the inside of the filter.

I also have long trumpets so my filter is 90mm deep.

Most cut a hole through their bonnets to fit the correct filter, this also allows cool air into the engine.

[img] Finished Car
Finished Car
[/img]

You could also have a look at the PX600 air box and use a remote filter these are 75mm high although more expensive

link

[Edited on 15/11/14 by big-vee-twin]

Northpole - 15/11/14 at 11:21 AM

quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
I have the PX 600 type - pipercross reccomend at least 20mm gap between the end of the

Most cut a hole through their bonnets to fit the correct filter, this also allows cool air into the engine.

[img] Finished Car
Finished Car
[/img]

You could also have a look at the PX600 air box and use a remote filter these are 75mm high although more expensive

link

Thank you for your reply.

Is the gab 20 mm absolute minimum?

If so, I need to cut a hole in the Bonnet ;( but how does the Pipercross filter handle rain?

belgian2b - 15/11/14 at 11:25 AM

Hello,

I always heard that minimum distance between top of velocity stack and filter or bonnet should be at least 1/4 of velocity stack diameter at his top.

Gerardo

Northpole - 15/11/14 at 11:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by belgian2b
Hello,

I always heard that minimum distance between top of velocity stack and filter or bonnet should be at least 1/4 of velocity stack diameter at his top.

Gerardo

Hi.
Yes that is also what I have heard, so I will follow that rule.

Do you know if the Pipercross filter will handle rain?
- not that I expect to use the car in rain, but you know, on the way home it could rain...;*)
sigurjon

Northpole - 13/6/16 at 09:16 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin

[img] Finished Car
Finished Car
[/img]

link

In your experience, would a good scoop in the bonnet make more airflow/power using PX Pipercross?
I have trouble choosing between PX and std Hayabusa airbox....

kingster996 - 13/6/16 at 10:01 PM

Px600 handles rain no problem. Just back from 2000+ miles around Europe in some of worst weather imaginable! Never missed a beat and my filter is pretty much all open to elements.

[Edited on 13/6/16 by kingster996]

Northpole - 14/6/16 at 08:51 AM

Very nice car and good to learn about the rain vs Pipercross.

Does anyone have a Bonnet/Hood scoop for the PX Pipercross filter and it would be interesting to know what effect the scoop have?