Board logo

R1 5pw fuel gauge?
Squadge - 12/12/16 at 07:10 AM

Hi everyone, I am just getting a tank made for my bec but am not sure whether the R1 5pw has a fuel level indicator in the standard dash and pump , can anyone advise? If it doesn't I'll have to fab something in as a standalone tank sender
Thanks

Barkalarr - 12/12/16 at 07:34 AM

Nope, you don't have to fab anything - from memory, my one was all built into the pump.
I've still got an air box kicking around if this is any use for you to cut to bits ??

adithorp - 12/12/16 at 07:48 AM

It doesn't have a level in the dash but it does have a low fuel warning light. On 5vy the sensor is built into the pump assembly but I thought on 5pw it was a separate sensor (small oval, 2 bolt flange). Can't recall anyone using it though. I did consider seeing if the earlier sensor would work with later dash but decided it was a lot of work for something that would trigger on/off all the time due to fuel swill in the tank.

CosKev3 - 12/12/16 at 08:22 AM

Are you using the bike clocks?

If it's like the 4xv/5jj early R1 if you don't have the low fuel warning switch connected you will get a fault indication on clocks,the Rev counter flicks around to a certain RPM constantly

Squadge - 12/12/16 at 09:49 AM

Yeah I'm using the original clocks,there was no other sensor apart from the pump in the tank so I assume it's built in, just wanted to make sure.

Crazylegs - 7/4/17 at 05:41 PM

Saves me opening a new thread, may seem a silly question but I've never owned a bike before.

Does the R1 or any other bike engine for that matter have a small fuel tank as the engine is small?

How much does it cost to fill a tank and how quick will it fly through juice?

Thanks.

tankplanker - 10/4/17 at 04:46 PM

Tank size on a BEC is up to the builder or you could retro fit a larger/smaller tank depending on what you want. I've seen anything from 20l to 40l, I'd not be surprised if you could get something even smaller or bigger if you wanted.

Mine has a 20l tank, fine for the road but doesn't go very far on the track.

adithorp - 10/4/17 at 07:25 PM

My tank is just under 6gal/27lt. Get over 30mpg steady on motorway or down to about 15mpg flat out on track.