Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blackbird engined Hillman Imp
PorkChop

posted on 18/5/16 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Have you thought about what diff ratio you need?

MX-5 ones tend to be on the short side for a BEC.

colimp66

posted on 18/5/16 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
The standard ratio of the MX-5 will be used initially as that's what I have. It has been mentioned that it may be a tad low geared and top out at around 100MPH... My thoughts are that a 100MPH in an Imp will be more than enough and the acceleration should be brisk to say the least. It will be a weekend toy at best and built for a bit of fun.
If I don't like it once finished it can either be modified again or sold on. It's a hobby and happy to keep messing about with it to get it right or as good as I can.

Cheers
Col.

colimp66

posted on 16/6/16 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Started on the fabrication of the engine cradle for fitting between the two chassis rails of the Imp.
At the moment it is being supported by a temporary engine cradle below it sitting on a we trolley. This is allowing for around 6 inches of ground clearance which may change slightly once the engine weight is taken up by the springs etc but hoping for it not to go much lower.

Hoping to get more done later this week.

Cheers
Col

ali f27

posted on 16/6/16 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Its all about mounting blackbird engine as crankcase distorts nipping crank speak to andy bates he might be able to help mount it properly nothing wrong with engine just how its mounted
colimp66

posted on 17/6/16 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Ali,
I have spoken to Andy regarding the Blackbird motor and he did mention the flexing issue that occurs with these motors often being the cause of problems.
A bit more of the frame tacked in last night.

Cheers
Col.

ali f27

posted on 17/6/16 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
There are 1000s of blackbird bikes with very big mileages so nothing wrong with motor and at the end of the day its a Honda will make a very nice car good luck with it .
johnnybizzle1986

posted on 17/6/16 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I have recently done a zzr1200 with a freelander diff 3.20 ratio worked really well.

regards Jon

colimp66

posted on 18/6/16 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers John,
Be good to see your conversion. Possibly bettered geared than I will be with using the MX-5 diff.

Made up the lower spars for the cradle last night all tacked in and feeling chuffed with myself on the look of the cradle.

Cheers
Col.

Andybarbet

posted on 18/6/16 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good :-)

We just rolled my son's imp out & fitted some 13 x 8 alleycat wheels that he got 2nd hand, just needs a lot of shell welding unfortunately :-(

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

colimp66

posted on 17/11/16 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
13x8's will just squeeze in under the arches I believe, I have 7's on mine at mo with 185/60x13 tyres but looking for a lower profile to fit on the front to allow full lock without rub on the inner arches.

Been busy with a few other jobs this past wee whilst since I posted last. New dashbaord constructed and covered..This is it loosely fitted into the car

This week it has been a bit of a tidy up where the engine pokes into the parcel shelf so I have mad e a cover/access panel for this. Reused the original panel I had cut out but in reverse so it will cover the airfiler etc without touching.

Finally picked up my very short propshaft s I can get on with finishing of the framework to hold the engine and the diff combined which will then allow me to have the driveshafts fabricated.

Cheers
Col.

[Edited on 17/11/16 by colimp66]

colimp66

posted on 17/11/16 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Now onto the engine and diff bit not in the car..... Yet!!!

Cheers
Col

[Edited on 17/11/16 by colimp66]

colimp66

posted on 6/12/20 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Overdue update

Wow!! 4 years has passed since I was last on here, apologies for taking so long to give an update on my Imp.

So I have made the rest of the framework to take the MX-5 differential, propshaft was also made and the driveshafts adapted so the MX-5 ones fit the Imp uj's to drive the wheels forward.
The car has been painted and a headlining installed, brake lines have been fashioned and fitted along with a clutch and fuel line too. Seats, windows are fitted, sound insulation and some of the carpet as well as the engine being out back together and started up.
I've not been idle ... just slow at getting all of it done and upto date on here. Life and work getting in the way really and erm.. a pandemic as well.

I'm now trying to figure out how I post some photos of the progress????

Cheers
Col.

colimp66

posted on 8/2/21 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TQwP2EenmQ[/youtube]

Gearshifter made up.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKmCFPoQq3E[/youtube]

Cheers
Col.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.