Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: new EU tyre labelling regs
andyfiggy2002

posted on 13/4/17 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
new EU tyre labelling regs

I have 13x60x185 r888 gg on my BEC set to 18psi, these tyres give good grip wet & dry, ideal for the road & ideal if I'm driving the car to a trackday where you can't always guarantee a beautiful sunny day. Anyway I heard about these new regs & after reading that their replacement, the r888r were not as good as the r888 i had a nasty case of paranoia & bought another set of r888 before they sold out in my size. Can anyone comment on these new r888r tyres?

Also the old labelling told you what tread wear, traction & temp. The new labels tell you fuel, wet & noise performance so what use is that to me considering I do 99% of my road driving in the dry, my car isn't exactly quiet & fuel isn't a concern?

MikeRJ

posted on 13/4/17 at 07:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by andyfiggy2002
Also the old labelling told you what tread wear, traction & temp. The new labels tell you fuel, wet & noise performance so what use is that to me considering I do 99% of my road driving in the dry, my car isn't exactly quiet & fuel isn't a concern?

The EU labeling system has shown fuel economy, wet braking and noise performance since 2012, this is hardly a new system!

adithorp

posted on 13/4/17 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
I've used both and think the new ones are better. Plus side they're better in the wet (been through biblical down pours on them) and in the dry stay consistent for longer (where I could overheat the old ones). Only downside I've noticed is on track they take slightly longer to come up to temp.

Mike, the new bit is all tyres now having to comply, where there was some sort of loophole being exploited for track day type rubber.

[Edited on 13/4/17 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

andyfiggy2002

posted on 13/4/17 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
very confusing when the labelling indicates r888 much better in wet than r888r

]

& as regards the regs basically if you sell old stock track day tyres the link below says 'Tyre labelling will apply to existing product lines from November 2014 onwards, but the tyres manufactured before this date will be sold for another 30 months without labels'

link

[Edited on 13/4/17 by andyfiggy2002]

adithorp

posted on 13/4/17 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't put any faith in the wet grip rating. As I understand it, it's a straight line stopping test. I've seen reports that several of the high rated tyres are terrible for wet grip in normal use. Having used both versions of 888, I know the old one would have been aquaplaning when the new one was OK... not good but OK. Of course, you've always got to be aware of the big difference in grip between wet/dry when compared to a traditional tyre.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

andyfiggy2002

posted on 13/4/17 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Ok so thats the wet weather performance catered for. The old labelling showed tread wear, traction & temp useful for dry weather driving. What part of the new wet, DB levels & fuel saving tells me its dry weather performance or do the EU think its only going to get wetter with global warming so no point in showing that info anymore?

[Edited on 13/4/17 by andyfiggy2002]

cliftyhanger

posted on 14/4/17 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
I think the reason for only showing wet grip is simple.
Wet grip is way more important. By that I mean wet grip is so very different to dry with any given tyre.

Fuel economy and noise are probably in response to what people think they want to know.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.