Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Which route to go for...?.?.???.?
craig_thomas

posted on 4/8/17 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Which route to go for...?.?.???.?

So I'm find im finding difficult to decide which route to take. I'm looking at changing my ford engine this winter for a bike engine. Iv been collecting parts this year and have now ended up with-

Zx9r E engine and carbs
MK cradle
MK exhaust
BEC prop
Loom
Chopped sump

Basically most of the parts I need to fit a Zx9r engine into my car. But now I'm thinking maybe it's not the best engine to be using.

Is it too old?

Would I be better off trying to get a more modern/expensive cbr1000 engine??

It's defo going to be more cost effective to put the engine I have in but in the long run, might I be better off with something newer.

What are people's thoughts??

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 4/8/17 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
I had a zx9r in a striker many years ago I found it great fun if you have the parts why not fit it you could always fit a later Kawasaki engine in it at a later date .
russbost

posted on 4/8/17 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've always found the ZX9 a strange choice, the ZX10 or ZZR1100 are both cheaper with more power & torque & I suspect a stronger clutch & gearbox, they are also (I believe) a straight swap for the later (hard to find) ZZR1200 (NOT the ZX12R which is a different lump entirely). You could probably flog the ZX9 & buy a ZZR1100 with the proceeds. I believe the sump will fit & possibly the exhaust, but I'm pretty sure the engine cradle wouldn't.

The late CBR engine is a brilliant lump, unlike the earlier Fireblade engines which lacked both bhp & torque, great in a bike, but not in a car, but you are in a different league in terms of cost, could probably pickup a ZX12R for less money, & that is a PROPER engine! But in both cases you are then going to have to buy a whole load more bits ............

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mackei23b

posted on 4/8/17 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
I had a zx9r in my Indy and it went well....

Description
Description

Cheers
Ian

CosKev3

posted on 5/8/17 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
I think your concerns are correct tbh,as good as the ZX9 will go it's possibly the lowest power bike engine that people fit.

I know my m8 zx12rdug off here has built 4 MK indys with bike engines in over the years so has actual first hand experience.

His first one was a ZX9,
second was a R1 5JJ which he said was a big step up in power,
his third was a R1 5VY which again was a step up in power from the 5JJ but not as big a jump as from the ZX9,
His current car is a zx12r which again is more powerful, but not as big a step up as he expected over the 5VY R1 considering people say it's one of the ultimate BEC engines(also weighs a lot! )

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.