Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kawasaki electrics, HELP
paulwilson92

posted on 16/2/18 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
Are you sure ? I haven't got the wiring diagram in front of me at the mo but i'm pretty sure they all go to main earth point and have ring connector for bolting down.

pwilson

russbost

posted on 16/2/18 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
No, not at all sure as I don't have either the car or the wiring diagram in front of me, but working on the assumption that the white/black wire you have going to the ECU is connected to the right pin (white black is normally live on Kwak loom), which unless ECU & loom are mismatched or have been bastardised has to be correct, then unless there is actually a short within the ECU (never, ever heard of such a thing) then when you feed the ECU with that live, one of the pins that is subsequently coming live at the ECU HAS to be short circuited to earth, only other possibility is that when ECU goes live it is connecting a pin to earth that you have a positive feed to.

It's possible it's not one of those 3 "earths" that are the problem, but if not there HAS to be another wire/pin which when the ECU goes live is either becoming live & is connected to earth or is becoming earthed & you have a live feed going to it.

If the examination of the earths doesn't work I would suggest next remove the feed via the 100 ohm resistor that you have on the grey wire & see what effect that has

Just one further thought, some Kwak looms have a blue wire rather than grey which is the one you need the 100ohm resistor in series with, have you checked the wiring dig to see where the grey wire you've added the resistor to is normally connected, the dig should show it going to the ignition switch if you have the right wire

[Edited on 16/2/18 by russbost]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
paulwilson92

posted on 16/2/18 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, a few thing to try there over the weekend.

Yes, the grey wire goes from ECU to ign switch and one of the relays, I can also try just powering up the ECU via grey. I will also see if I can eliminate the earth lead that is causing the problem, trouble is most of the earth's are linked together within the loom but I'm sure there is a way, it can only come from the same ECU plug that has the white/black feed in it.

Really appreciate your help.

pwilson

40inches

posted on 16/2/18 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Can I assume that you have an early i.e pre 2003 carbed Z1000?
In which case ignore the grey resistor wire for the time being, that is purely an anti theft device and has nothing to do with the ECU running, with that wire disconnected the engine won't start, everything else will still run.

paulwilson92

posted on 16/2/18 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
It's a 2007 B7 engine,
my main concern is to stop the ECU power fuse blowing at the mo, once I've sorted that the rest should be fairly simple.

pwilson

CosKev3

posted on 17/2/18 at 10:23 AM Reply With Quote
Are you 100% sure the USA ECU and UK loom are compatible?
paulwilson92

posted on 17/2/18 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Both the loom and the ECU are from USA

There are 3 earths coming from ECU, all of them blow fuse when conected. Sadly no further forward.

pwilson

CosKev3

posted on 17/2/18 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Have you stripped off all the outer covering incase the loom is damaged somewhere?
russbost

posted on 18/2/18 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
Well, you are further forward, ok, so the 3 earths are definitely meant to be earths (unless all 3 of them are wrong - I take it they are black with yellow tracer?)

So look at what is happening, when you give the ecu a feed it is obviously putting a feed onto one of the other cables coming from that single plug, or it is putting a cable to earth that also has a feed on it (less likely, but possible). You need to strip all outer casing off the loom so you can actually trace wires, as it's only a single plug, that should give you probably 16 or so wires to trace, check that plug against the wiring diagram, matching the colours up & following wires thro', there either has to be damage within the loom or there's a wire going where it shouldn't

It sounds like a ball ache, but given the time & grief you've already invested is relatively minor by comparison

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Phil_1471

posted on 24/2/18 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
I’m sure you have checked this, but, are you using the correct ampage fuse? Sometimes it’s the simplest stuff that’s overlooked?!

You can live in a car but can't rally a house

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.