Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Weighed the Bike Engine'd Locost
Edwardo

posted on 26/10/20 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
So first thing to get ripped out was the rear checker plate boot cover/boot itself and side infill panels :-

The checker plate lid + lock was 2.3Kg
Checker plate lid surround was 1.7Kg
Stainless+wood boot = 6.7Kg
Painted Side Cover Plates (1.6mm thick stainless!) = 0.75Kg each

So just ripping that lot out has saved approx 12.5Kg thus far.

I can now see the fuel tank and the other horrible roll bar welding (being polite) which isn't to the book :-

steve m

posted on 27/10/20 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
I had one of the links break on my chassis as well, my cure was to butt weld another small piece of Rhs to double up the mounting behind the u bracket
so that the whole bracket was supported, and not just on half its side, never had an issue afterwards

Glad you cut out all that wasted tatt from the boot, just make a lightweight box for the boot, and a tonneau cover with poppers,

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

CosKev3

posted on 28/10/20 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Judging by the rusty stains around those mounting points it looks to me like a lack of maintenance.

What type of bush is used in them?

If it's a poly bush there is a good chance they have seized up judging by the rusty stains,and that's caused the brackets to break

Edwardo

posted on 28/10/20 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Good question - I've not removed the suspension arms yet as I was still messing around with the back end and getting the old tank out last night.

I've only had the car since Feb - but judging by some of things I've discovered I don't think many of the previous owners were particularly hot on maintenance so it could well be that the bushes are seized.

In fact, I hope you're right actually as that would at least explain it. Previous owner told me him and his Brother used to drive it to a track - thrash the living ** out of it for the day/drive it home and leave it till next time. I've been out in it for a few gentle (by comparison to a track day I mean) local runs and the suspension breaks lol?!

I'll post up the weight measurement results of the fuel tank later.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.