Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone running a Cat, or used one for SVA?
StuartA

posted on 13/2/03 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone running a Cat, or used one for SVA?

We have finally acquired a Fireblade engine (), but unfortunately it is just the wrong side of the emissions date, being a '96 engine (). We are keen to use this engine, as it is a better spec than the pre-August 95 one (better BHP, better torque), so now we just need to work out how to get it through SVA. Weird rules seem to apply to cars, even if you use a bike engine, as it seems that you have to have a catalytic converter even if the donor bike didn't. I have seen various places offer these for hire, but what is involved in putting them in to the exhaust system? Is it just a case of providing a replaceable part that is normally a straight-thru but is replaced with the Cat for SVA and MOT? What about the lambda sensor?
MK9R

posted on 13/2/03 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
Please someone correct me if i'm wrong! As this is what i am planning to do.

Bike engine emmissions are very low (if setup correctly) and hence don't need a cat, but because it is in a car and cars are required to have a cat after 95, you have to fit a cat. So really the cat will do nothing on a BEC, so i am just going to bolt a cat from a scrappers inline with my exhaust just for SVA and MOT. I'm sure that if you emptied the cat of all it bits (although dangerous as the stuff inside cause cancer apparently) so it looked like you have a cat (but without the cr@p air flow ) the car would pass.

Am i being a muppet?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jonathan Madeley

posted on 13/2/03 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
SVA emmissions

I have a blade engined striker (1999) that the previous owner tried to get through SVA in 2002 with no cat and failed. He then had to fit a cat, lamda sensor etc, and passed no problem. Once SVA was complete the cat was accidently removed and the electrics unplugged. My first MOT is due soon and once I am sure I don't need any emmision test other than visable smoke I plan to remove everything and sell it on.
theconrodkid

posted on 13/2/03 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
yo muppet acording to my MOT mate all you have to do is pass the emmisions test, weather you strap a cat or a camel on your exhaust is up to you

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Wadders

posted on 13/2/03 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I was going to hire an exhaust,cat and lambda sensor setup from ST for £50 just to pass SVA, but then i heard that reg's are supposedly going to change so that current emmisions will have to be met at each subsequent MOT.
With this in mind i spoke to the boss of Tiger racing as they sell a neat inline cat for £105 plus vat, i asked if the car would definately pass SVA using just the cat, he reckoned with a brand new cat some engines pass and some fail, and the only way to guarantee a pass was to use the full setup which is £300 plus vat.
I'm tempted to try with the Cat only first, and possibly a really weak mixture. As i intend to remove the cat until next MOT, it should still be like brand new. I admit to knowing F~#k all about emmisions, so if anyone out there can enlighten me on dodges to pass emmisions i would be grateful i.e would using a higher octane fuel or a lean mixture help get through the test. Also does the ignition timing play a part?

Cheers

Al

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.