Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why is this engine not used more ?
UncleFista

posted on 20/5/03 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
Why is this engine not used more ?

I've always wondered why this engine hasn't been used more;

Specs

Engine Type:
1832cc liquid-cooled horizontally opposed six-cylinder

Valve Train:
SOHC, two valves per cylinder

Carburetion:
Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI) with automatic choke

Ignition:
Computer-controlled digital with three-dimensional mapping

Transmission:
Five-speed including overdrive, plus electric reverse

Final Drive:
Shaft

Thats the engine and trans from a 2002 Honda Goldwing
I know their owners don't go fast enough to crash very often, but even a mild-ish spill could get into "write off" territory once the GRP has been smashed ?

There's also tuning bits available as it shares an engine with the "Valkyrie" (no GRP).
Reading the specs it could be designed for a light 'kit' type vehicle, I know there must be a reason for not using it, I don't think I've seen anyone at all using it...

If anyone has a link to any sites showing the Goldwing engine in a car I'd be much obliged

Ta all

PS. I've noticed that MK mentions on his site that he's used a Goldwing engine, no info though

PPS. This post is more of a 'cut n paste' job from another catagory on the forum in reply to a boxer engine question, but thought you BEC chaps might have some more info

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

StuartA

posted on 20/5/03 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
I would have thought the main reason would be the size. I know bike engines are generally compact but if you have ever seen that engine in a Valkyrie then you will know what I mean. Would have thought the chassis would need some pretty hefty mods to take it... might be an optical illusion though.
ChrisGamlin

posted on 20/5/03 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
I think a lot of it is the weight, you might as well put a car engine in there if you are thinking of one of those. Also cos its a flat 6, it would need a lot more space in the engine bay and some fancy / expensive exhausts (note the plural!)

Chris

kingr

posted on 20/5/03 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, is it just my imagination or did Goldwings at one time have V8s in them? They might be good for a look.

Kingr

ChrisGamlin

posted on 20/5/03 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Just your imagination Im afraid
kb58

posted on 21/5/03 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
I though it was because of the low horsepower, but I don't know how much that is, 100hp or so? They have torque yes, hp, no. Weight is a big deal as said before. At several hundred lbs for 100hp, you could sub a car engine and get more hp/lb.

There was/is a bike with a Chevy 350 in it.. here it is (I've see others too):
http://www.mtv411.com/motorcycle/pictures/boss-hoss/bosshoss.htm

Saw it on a TV show once and it was "over the top." The camera car was driving along-side it at about 45mph when the bike hit the gas. Dang impressive to see nothing but a big long skid mark on the road, which is saying something because they use a Really Wide car tire at the back... Good luck turning the thing though. It was impressive how well that engine fit.

BTW, someone where I work made a V8 bike using the Buick aluminum-block V8. He "discovered" the same thing, that it's hard to turn when you have basically a square-section tire at the back...

[Edited on 21/5/03 by kb58]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ned

posted on 21/5/03 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
that is completely mad.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GO

posted on 21/5/03 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
8 second quarter mile!!!!
Scouse Monkey

posted on 21/5/03 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Here is a BEC that used a Goldwing (a while ago)- not sure you want one of those though - looks like an old Esprit that got reversed into somwhere very narrow!

Is this one of the 1st BEC kit cars?

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.