Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tuned length exhaust
carnut

posted on 29/5/03 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Tuned length exhaust

Is it worth paying the extra to get one made?

How much difference does it make to power and torque?

Ive been told that a 4-2-1 system would be better than a 4-1, how much difference does this make?

any help would be gladly recieved

Carnut

carnut

posted on 2/6/03 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Come on, someone must know a bit about tuned length exhausts!
David Jenkins

posted on 2/6/03 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Casting my mind back to model planes, I think you'll find the problem with 'tuned pipes' is that they're tuned for specific engine speeds. For a car, there is an element of tuning involved, but it's more a case of 'this length will roughly match the way you plan to use your engine' rather than anything else.

I think that you need to use a more general description, and 4-2-1 & 4-1 is a good place to start. What I've been told is that a 4-1 setup is very good for helping the engine at high revs, but not so good at lower revs - in other words, good for a racing car engine. On the other hand, a 4-2-1 is good for helping the engine at the low end rather than at the top.

It's horses for courses, but I'd guess that the 4-2-1 is more use for general driving.

BUT, and it is a big BUT (who's got a big butt? ), unless you're tuning an engine to a fairly high degree, you probably won't notice a great difference, IMHO. Pick whatever you can get and/or whichever takes your fancy!

rgds,

David
P.S. these are entirely my own opinions, and they may not be worth 2p.

kingr

posted on 2/6/03 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds very much right to me, another thing to bearing in mind is that while tuned length exhausts may add power to one place, they also take away from another, so they're great for constant rpms but not particularly suitable for variable speeds. I used to fly model helicopters, where the engine maintain pretty much constant speeds, and people would go to great pains getting the distance from the exhaust manifold to the first baffle millimetre perfect for the RPMs they were running, and it did make a small difference, but then they're high revving 2 stokes, where clearing the cylinder is much harder than in a four stroke. I can't see that it's worth spending much time over in a car, less still much money.

Kingr

carnut

posted on 2/6/03 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
thanks guys, thats all very interesting.

I was just thinking that if i got a good exhaust it may be a good way of getting power on the cheep. ie cheeper than other types of tuning.
Looks like i may just go for what I can get for a decent price.

Just one more question. Would a straight through race can give much more if any power increase? For post sva purposes obviously.

thanks
Carnut

locodude

posted on 2/6/03 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Just one more question. Would a straight through race can give much more if any power increase? For post sva purposes obviously.

Don't do it, my ZX9 on a Micron race can is hellishly loud. One more job to do B4 le mans is fit a baffle

andyd

posted on 2/6/03 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Carnut,

Most people fit "race cans" to their bikes because they think they sound better. Without doing anything else to the engine I'd bet 90% or these people wouldn't notice any difference in performance. On a bike it tends to be a point and squirt operation which means that the revs are always changing. Even when you ride through town etc. the sound is exiting the tailpipe quite a way from your ears not to mention the crash helmet blocking out sound too. In the car you may be emulating the bike on twisty backroads and it'll sound sweet but during the town journeys (or main road cruising) it'll be bloody loud and very irritating after 5 minutes. Besides am I right in saying that you are using a blackbird engine? If so that's plenty of power I'd have thought.

HTH
Cheers.

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.