Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: harley engine?
merkurman

posted on 5/8/03 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
harley engine?

I was looking for input on using a harley motor for a BEC locost. you can get them in up to 100" versions they are all dry sumped efi or carbed.

since they have lots of torque I could have a very low geared car that would pull out of corners real well.

nick

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI
-- looking to put a offy tripower intake on soon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisGamlin

posted on 5/8/03 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, I dont wanna wee on ya chips, but unless they rev to about 10-12k rpm and produce at least 120-130bhp then I wouldnt bother. I think they only rev to around 7-8k and probably dont have hugely high gearing (cos they dont go fast), so you are unlikely to be able to get suitable gearing with the available diffs unless you only ever want to do 70mph flat out.

Chris

[Edited on 5/8/03 by ChrisGamlin]

David Jenkins

posted on 5/8/03 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote
...but wouldn't it make a lovely noise!!

DJ

Simon

posted on 5/8/03 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to use an antiquated piece of junk, go ahead

100 cu.in is about 1.6 litres. You will find much better car or bike engines for probably much less money.

It's cast iron, so probably weighs as much as a car engine.

Make a nice noise, but wouldn't have the performance to match.

Also, it's missing 6 cylinders for a proper V

ATB

Simon

PS Just noticed you're from the US of A, so I've probably upset you now

[Edited on 5/8/03 by Simon]

StuartA

posted on 7/8/03 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
As with the other post on here about the VMax, you also have to think about routing of the exhaust. Need two pipes out of the block and one is gonna have to come past the steering column and brake masters, which will make life fun!
merkurman

posted on 8/8/03 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
well the aftemarket engines are alloy with steel liners. exhaust exits out the same side of the engine which would be the front side if I mount it sideways. my real concern is that they are not balanced and have alot of low end toraye and would wonder if the chassis would need some extra support?

nick

1962 fairlane with a 200" six and T5 5spd, shaved trim air ride, t3/t4 turbo and soon to be EFI

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Rorty

posted on 9/8/03 at 02:28 AM Reply With Quote
I remember reading an article some time ago, about someone who had bolted a Harvey Danielson motor into a car of some sort. No matter what was done with the engine mounts, it would continually crack the chassis in various places. The motors only fire about once every telegraph pole. It would be like hitting the chassis repeatedly with a lump hammer. The project was disgarded IIRC.
The problem as I see it, is that HD engines don't have a balance shaft?
I know from experience, you can't fit a dirtbike motor into a quad frame as it too, will vibrate the thing apart. Even Honda realised that. When the TRX 400EX (quad) was introduced, it was touted as having the 400cc engine from the XR400 bike. In actual fact, it shares little with the bike engine.
Two wheelers can tolerate a lot of vibration, as the contact points with the ground (tyres) have a pivot between them (the steering head).
Superbike motors are finely balanced to start with, so make good car engines.
Having said that, I removed the balance shaft from my ZZR1100, welded up the hole in the cases, and solid-mounted it in my car.
On those engines, the balance shaft is really only there to stop the bike's mirrors vibrating, and distorting the rider's view.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

sgraber

posted on 9/8/03 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Corbin Merlin

A trike...

Take a look at the following page for more info.

http://matt_birchard.tripod.com/cars/merlin.htm

[Edited on 8/9/03 by sgraber]

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

Rorty

posted on 16/8/03 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a Harley powered BEC: Rescued attachment Sportster_mower.jpg
Rescued attachment Sportster_mower.jpg

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

Mark Allanson

posted on 16/8/03 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
What sort of grass are you going to cut with THAT?
Simon

posted on 20/8/03 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Nick,

Just had a look at the Triumph M/c's website, and might have found the ideal bike engine fro you

From the new Rocket 3.

3 cyl in line (mounted longitudinally)
140cu in (2294cc)
147ft lb at 2500 rpm

ATB

Simon

Spyderman

posted on 20/8/03 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Allanson
What sort of grass are you going to cut with THAT?

Only the good stuff man!
Weed!

What else is there?

Spyderman

merkurman

posted on 15/9/03 at 03:20 AM Reply With Quote
well...not even going to look into it...very hard to find triumph's in the US let alone a donor bike. like the idea of a harley motor being that the new ones are balanced, all alloy, have six speeds, belt drive. I was thinking of putting it in a MEC though...figured it is more efficent for a bec.

nick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.