Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Disaster!! Help!!
coozer

posted on 11/9/03 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Disaster!! Help!!

After two years of standing in my chassis I've finally got everything ready to fire it up. New oil, petrol, everything in fact. Pump the fuel through, turn it over to get the oil up and then... splutter, bang, bang chuff chuff... petrol running out of the exhaust.. AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHH!
Took the carbs off and a look inside, oh my god!!
Inside the old petrol from 2000? has evaporateed and left all the jets, floats etc covered in green scum and the two little screws in each chamber rusted worse than the Titanic!!
Any suggestions on how to clean out all the little drillings without damaging anything would be mucho appreciated.
Hindsight, hmm drain the petrol out of the carbs JUST like you did with the tank. Bugger

Steve

kingr

posted on 11/9/03 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Concensus seems to say celulose thinners is the stuff to clean up carbs. Be careful there isn't any plastic that will melt anywhere near though.

Kingr

Rorty

posted on 12/9/03 at 03:09 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, thinners does the trick. Soak all the relevant carb parts in a big glass bowl overnight. In the morning, blow everything off with an air line.
I'd replace the screws with stainless ones.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 12/9/03 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys will try the thinners trick but I,m not confident of getting the crud out of the drillings and the tube where the needle sits. But I will give it a go.
Bugger, bugger, bugger.

Steve

coozer

posted on 12/9/03 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Will the carbs 'clean' themselve up over a few miles if I can get most of the crap cleaned out and get the motor started. Just been beat to a new set of carbs on ebay. Bugger!!

Steve

tadltd

posted on 12/9/03 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
What year is your engine?

I have a spare set of carbs for a 'C' level.

Steve.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
sebastiaan

posted on 13/9/03 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
why not try gettin them over to a friendly jeweller or someone else that has an ultrasonic cleaning tool. That usually does the trick (after cleaning with thinner of course...)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.