Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike chain fitting
adampage

posted on 4/12/03 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Bike chain fitting

This applies to very few of you, but I'm hoping you may be bikers so have the necessary info.

My GT1 is slowly taking shape, but hopefully over Xmas some time I'll be ready to put the chain on.

I'm pondering my options:
- Buy a chain breaking tool designed for the job
- Find a local friendly bike mechanic an get them to do it for me
- My Dad says 'Oh it's easy with a hammer and heavy block to hit against'

I have the chain and a couple of 'soft' or 'knock' links, and a hammer.

Could anyone say whether it really is easy with a hammer, easy with a special tool, or just too hard and I should just pay someone?

Cheers to anyone who knows!

Adam.

nick205

posted on 4/12/03 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
From experience with mountain bike chains you need the tool for the job. Using the hammer and block method has high potential for damage and injury.

As you will probably need to service and replace the chain in the future I would invest in the right tool for the job.

HTH

Nick

locoboy

posted on 4/12/03 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Agreed,

Not an area you want to mess about with or take chances really.

Either invest in the tool or find a friendly mechanic who shouldn't charge you more than a tenner to do it or a few cans of beer

ATB
Locoboy

theconrodkid

posted on 4/12/03 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
look in www.thefastone.co.uk,they do all manner of bike related stuff,ps do i get a ride?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

adampage

posted on 4/12/03 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Ta!

Thanks gents.

I think I'll probably buy one (most seem to be about £45ish) for ongoing use.

Some people still swear by the hammer & block method, but I've also realised that as the chain needs to be rivetted in situ, that could be tricky hammering in and around the diff, chassis, etc.

Conrodkid - regarding the ride - I see no problem with that - though if you're in london, I don't fancy tackling the M25 - I'm bound to take it to one or more of the shows next year - ask me then.

Assuming I've finished by then!

DO you know if anyone else has SVA'd a GT yet - or if I get mine in by Feb (that's the plan!) will I be the first?

I thought Martin had finished one - but I've never heard of it passing SVA. I vaguely remember someone saying it failed more than once, but I can't remember who?!

Adam.

tony9876

posted on 4/12/03 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Adam ,hows the car coming along mate?I should be getting my chasis very soon
From my experience with motorvycles it is next to impossible to get the joint link crimped in situe using a hammer and block,I would definently recommend buying a crimping tool.

adampage

posted on 4/12/03 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Fingers crossed

OK, optimistic head on for a moment!

Should hopefully be RUNNING by christmas, then bleed the brakes and put the chain on and it's DRIVEABLE (on private land of course!) then it's on to a long list of little jobs:

Handbrake, bodywork, setup suspension, setup digital speedo, box in the fuel tank, trim & tidying up, and finally the dreaded sva checking!

I think I will buy a chain tool - make life easier.

Good luck with yours. I know this date will move a million times, but I'll ask anyway:
When do you think you'll finish it?

Adam.

Forgot - more jobs - fit fuel filler cap, bleed the hydraulic clutch, and no doubt spend more money!

[Edited on 4/12/03 by adampage]

Hellfire

posted on 4/12/03 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adampage

I thought Martin had finished one - but I've never heard of it passing SVA. I vaguely remember someone saying it failed more than once, but I can't remember who?!

Adam.

Adam,

IIRC, the GT1 built by MK passed SVA about a month ago. So it can be done. Good luck.

PS; Do I get a ride also

adampage

posted on 4/12/03 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Cool!

I'm glad one has passed (although beaten me to it, damn!) I'd love to see some photos of it on the road / track / anywhere!

Do you know if there were any trials / tribulations to get it through - and more importantly any lessons for me when I try to get mine done?

For some reason, GT1's are rare on the Net - no build diaries, very few photos (except the Canon Williams car on the owners club, or mine on here) and that's it.

Where are they all?!

Anyway, I'd better get working to have the SECOND GT1 on the road! Unless someone else beats me.

Adam.

P.S. - next time I'll make a seven-seater version to give out rides in! Yeah, why not, if I'm at a show or up visiting MK which I'm also bound to do at some point.

[Edited on 4/12/03 by adampage]

tony9876

posted on 4/12/03 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
Adam i believe the black gt1 that was at the shows was registered with a new plate. I am planning to do that with mine also. I have a lot of the bits and pieces so i am hoping it will be ready about 3 months after i get the chasis.It may seem optimistic but i have a mechanic,a welder,a fabricator and i am an electrical engineer to sort it out.
tony9876

posted on 4/12/03 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
ps how did you get on with the exhaust?
adampage

posted on 4/12/03 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Blimey - Team work!

Surely that's cheating - knowing so many useful people!

I'm having the exhaust made, and I'll let you know progress when I've seen it.

Adam.

theconrodkid

posted on 4/12/03 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Adan,some of the west london mafia will be assulting the autosport , brum nec in january on the friday,you going?be nice to meet up with you

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

adampage

posted on 4/12/03 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Ooh, now that's an idea

That might be good, I missed it this year.

When is it exactly? I could even book the day off now.

I won't be there in the GT1 that early though (Jan id you say?) - probably still buying more things for it though!

Adam.

theconrodkid

posted on 4/12/03 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
its 8th-11th,if you can get a trade day ticket(have to be from someone in the motorsport game)we are going on friday 9th,see ya there

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.