Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zx12R no oil pressure after sump change
Moorron

posted on 20/2/09 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
zx12R no oil pressure after sump change

HELP!

ive shortened my sump and pickup pipe on my ZX12R engine and replaced it all. Filled up with oil and no i get no oil pressure and the oil light is constantly on. ive let it idle for a few minutes and i still get nothing so im looking for solutions before i damage it (or have i already done this).

The sump and pickup pipe were off for about a week and the engine left to drain into a bowl so its very dry in the oil ways.

Is there anyway to prime it or has the sump got to come off again?

Please help this is the lasdt thing to get me back on the road and im itdching to go out the w/e.

I only cut 15m off the sump and pickup pipe.

~Cheers~

Sorry about my spelling, im an engineer and only work in numbers.

BenB

posted on 20/2/09 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
How are you assessing the amount of oil requierd? If you do a sump-chop you can't rely on the eye-glass or the dipstick any more because the amount of oil in the sump will obviously be different for the same level reading....
Paul TigerB6

posted on 20/2/09 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
How are you assessing the amount of oil requierd? If you do a sump-chop you can't rely on the eye-glass or the dipstick any more because the amount of oil in the sump will obviously be different for the same level reading....

Huh?? The oil can only be filled to the same level as previously so why cant the standard filling levels be used?? Chopping the sump means the engine simply wont take as much oil to reach the maximum level - you cant add the extra raising the level to make up for the shorter sump or you'll have the crank splashing around in the sump oil. The oil temperature will probably get higher due to the reduced capacity so that will need checking, and maybe an oil cooler adding (will increase oil capacity as well as provide cooling so a two-fold benefit).

As for the original post, well i would hazard a guess that the oil pump hasnt primed with oil. You have checked the wiring is attached to the sender i assume??

[Edited on 20/2/09 by Paul TigerB6]

Rod Ends

posted on 20/2/09 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Did you reconnect the oil pressure switch?
Andy B

posted on 20/2/09 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
you can try getting a mate to slacken the oil filter whilst turning engine over with no plugs in as sometimes they can airlock.If this is case you will hear a hiss of air followed by driblle of oil. Then tighten filter and check for pressure
Do not let it run until you haveoil pressure as the shells will pick up real quick
Andy

Moorron

posted on 20/2/09 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
ok first off i have filled it up to max on the eye glass, i also have welded more onto the front of the sump increasing the oil capacity.

Oil pressure switch is wired ok, mechanical oil pressure gauge is also fine (i losened this connection and oil dribbled out).

i started the engine, let it idle for 10 seconds, saw no oil pressure, stupidly blipped the throttle and let idle for another 10 seconds. switched off. i then restarted and let idle for about 15 seconds.

i thought maybe i knocked one of the oil pipes off in the sump when wiggling it over its location dowles but i think its an air lock. When originaly taking the sump off and letting it drip over night when i pulled off the oil pickup lots more oil then came out of that pipe so it must hold oil in there to maybe keep the pump primed?

I hadnt fitted a new oil filter (lazy and didnt get one) and ive just now tried to take it off and cant, its wedged on solid!

My oil filter wrench (chain type) has split it and now im wandering how to get it off?

Googling the oil pressure problem does seem to point to 'burping' the filter just as you say Andy B. I will try this with a new filter in the morning without the engine firing and just letting it spin on the starter.

Im more worried about the damage i may have caused blipping the throttle and letting it idle with no oil pressure AND no standing oil around the various bits in the engine as its sat stil for 6 weeks.

What would be the main damaged parts that 'go' with no oil in the system?

Cheers

[Edited on 20/2/09 by Moorron]

eznfrank

posted on 20/2/09 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
When you chopped the pick-up did you cut a few notches in it for oil to get in? ie. it's not sat flat on the bottom of the sump?
Andy B

posted on 20/2/09 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to check for peace of mind - drain the oil into a clean cotainer and slowly decant it into another. You are looking for small silver/gold flecks of metal about the size of a tea leaf. If you find this it is small pieces of big end or main bearing shell picked up by the unlubricated crank. If that is the case do not run it again until you have stripped down the bottom end and checked/ replaced the shells or it will go pop.
If you struggle with the filter Honda do a proper pressed steel socket with a 17mm nut for a spanner - they are not expensive and I will get a part number for you asap
regards
Andy

Moorron

posted on 20/2/09 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
yeh i cut the pickup so it replicated the 'gap' the original did so im sure that ok.

cheers Andy. The oil filter is mangled now so im going to get the removal tool that are like a strap and hope this wont slip it more. i think i know what you mean with the honda too, but even if i had one i dont think it would fit now.

Cheers tho.

im going to prime the new filter, 'burp' it with only the starter cranking and se if i get any pressure. if i do im going to see if it runs ok upto temp without any nasty noises.

not happy, but reading on the net shows others with the same problem who didnt suffer any damage after letting it 'run' for 5 odd minutes! fingers crossed.

carlgeldard

posted on 20/2/09 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem after I fitted a dry sump system. It turned out to be an air lock within the hose to the remote mounted oil pressure switch. I'd remove the plugs and oil pressure switch. Then turn it over on the starter to see if you get oil out of it.

Jasongray5

posted on 20/2/09 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Moorron

I hadnt fitted a new oil filter (lazy and didnt get one) and ive just now tried to take it off and cant, its wedged on solid!

My oil filter wrench (chain type) has split it and now im wandering how to get it off?

[Edited on 20/2/09 by Moorron]

Drain the Oil, Put a screwdriver through with a hammer, Hey presto, an oil filter remover!!

How hard can it be?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/33261515@N03/sets/72157611049241239/

Canada EH!

posted on 20/2/09 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
When you get the oil filter off, and just before you install the new one (which will be filled with oil before you install it) take and oil can and squirt some oil into the hole coming from the pump, may help to prime it.
With V8 Chevys a shaft is put down the distributor hole and twisted with a drill to prime the oil system.

gregs

posted on 21/2/09 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
if it helps - Halfords do a pair of oil filter removal pliers, like expanded water pump pliers with teeth.... about £8 and works a treat. Previously had to use a 2ft wrench...
Moorron

posted on 21/2/09 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
cheers. Today i went to get a filter from the local bike shop and they didnt stock them! anyway i went to halfords and they had one in i also got one of the filter removers that is like a metal strap with a clamp on the end. Worked a treat too. filled new filter with oil, spilt it all over me putting it on and then turned the starter over and just about reaching the filter i wound it off untill oil sprayed out and then done it up to see bubbles and then up further and watched the oil pressure rise! Great news. ive been out in it for a quick blast and all seems fine.

Cheers lads

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.