Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Getting rid of under bonnet heat
mad-butcher

posted on 8/4/09 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Getting rid of under bonnet heat

Thinking of putting some holes/vents in the bonnet to get rid of some of the heat. Any suggestions more than welcome, was thinking of 4 holes about 3" in diameter one above each exhaust pipe and two similar to the metro style up by the scuttle

many thanks
tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 8/4/09 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
have you got your exhaust primaries wrapped in exhaust insulator wrap? metro style vents are a good idea and you will get a warm breeze on you too

[Edited on 8/4/09 by omega0684]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 8/4/09 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
have you got your exhaust primaries wrapped in exhaust insulator wrap? metro style vents are a good idea and you will get a warm breeze on you too

...and boiling coolant if a hose goes.

I've got vents on the sides of my bonnet towards the rear

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 8/4/09 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
The best thing to do is try to promote airflow through. Don't put in scoops without vents for it to go out of I'd be tempted to do as Humbug has and put some vents down the side and then if that's not enough add in a scoop to direct more air in. Also insulating tape can work really well

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

jollygreengiant

posted on 8/4/09 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
With the help of TrevD (he folded the metal to my spec) I fitted a heat shield around the Exhaust. This gives 3 functions, it protects against brake fluid being thrown onto a Very hot exhaust (major cause of under bonnet fires in accidents), It protects coolant hoses and electrical cables from the excessive heat, and it ducts air flow straight over the exhaust pipes and straight out of the side.
exhaust heat sheild 2
exhaust heat sheild 2

These above functions combined with the metro bonnet louvres keep the under bonnet quite cool.
OS bonnet & shield
OS bonnet & shield

another pose
another pose

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

bassett

posted on 8/4/09 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, id go for some sort of louvres that you can attach from the underside of the bonnet so air flowing over sucks air out from the engine compartment.
wicket

posted on 8/4/09 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Here's mine Rescued attachment Bonnet Vents 1a.jpg
Rescued attachment Bonnet Vents 1a.jpg

austin man

posted on 8/4/09 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
we modified the side panels on an MK Indy resulting in a 10 degree temperature drop.

The side panels have been cut and moved outward by an inch similar to the DAX rush. this allow a free flow of air under the bonnet and also removes the hot air hitting the bulkhead.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.