Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Speed awareness courses.
smart51

posted on 1/8/09 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Speed awareness courses.

I was caught in a mobile speed trap the other day doing 37 in what I thought was a 40 zone. Most of the main roads in Redditch are 40, except this one it seems.

I have a choice of £60 and 3 points or a £60 speed awareness course. What are these courses like then?

bigpig

posted on 1/8/09 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
From a friend of mine. He said they arn't too bad and he actually does drive with a bit more awareness of his speed in urban areas now.

He did mention that if you don't show understanding of the errors of you ways by the end of the course they can assume you didn't take heed and add the points to your licence anyhows.

graememk

posted on 1/8/09 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
you get sat down in a room with other speeders and treated like naughty children, rozzers come in and talk about bad driving how it can effect you stopping distances etc etc, then the ambulance service spokes person will have there say and talk about a RTI, the fireservice spokes person will have there say and talk about what they see, you'll get some parents of dead children from speeding or drunk drivers saying how its effect there life.

You'll have to watch videos and listen to sounds, of accidents and that kind of think all very haunting.

you then get to go home and think about how naughty you have been

[Edited on 1/8/09 by graememk]

zzr1100rick2

posted on 1/8/09 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
I went on one you watch videos and talk about the dangers of speeding
hang your head in shame and admit to been worse than jack the ripper
then go home without 3 points result

Davey D

posted on 1/8/09 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
nah they aren't bad. i had to go on a "driver improvement" course after being involved in a crash on th A1. the traffic in the outside lane kept slowing down, and speeding up. i hadnt noticed the traffic had slowed down, and run into the back of someone :-/

i had the choice of points, or the course, so i took the course.

basically your in a room with a whiteboard, and a TV. you go through hazard perseption, techniques, and highway code stuff. your put into groups for some bits, then on the 2nd day you get split up into mall groups, and go out in a car with one of the instructors. you take it in turns driving, and the instructor gives constructive critisism. As long as you join in with the day, and arent awkwark sticking your heels in at every opportunity there is nothing to worry about

UncleFista

posted on 1/8/09 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
B**** to that, I couldn't sit there pretending to be a criminal 'cos I'd gone 7mph over the limit while someone talks to me like a child.

3 points won't affect your insurance, I'd pay the £60 and accept the points personally

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Andi

posted on 1/8/09 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yes whiteboards and a bit of a video.
I never quite got around the fact that the woman "trainer" said that she never exceeds the limit, never, not even by 1mph.

I tried to be quiet and not say much but when they told me each death costs approx £1000000 I asked them for a breakdown which they didnt have to hand.

On the plus side, they did say that a driver reported the fact that he had been done for speeding and went on the course and apparantly they dropped his premium a coupla quid.
Personally i kept it quiet

pgtips

posted on 2/8/09 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
Yea I done it after doing 36mph on a 30mph road.
Not too bad....better than having he points and the fine.

Friend of mine did the same course 3 months ago and he got fined doing 39 in a 30 right after the course........endles wee taking........lol.

If I die, my biggest fear is that my wife sells all my toys for the price I told her I bought them for...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.