Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil in exhaust port
Dangle_kt

posted on 26/8/09 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Oil in exhaust port

Hi guys and girls, my fireblade engine has been sat for a fair few years, only ran to warm it up and round the sva centre ( about 10 times tehe! )

I have just been replacing the exhaust gaskets to help cut the noise a touch (I have a feeling they are leaking)

the second exhuast port is very oily, well, it was very black with oily paste with the soot.

The other ports looked ok - what could it be?

Im guessing either the rings or the valve seals... anyway I will look to sort it, but the only thing I'm really bothered about right now is - will it severly effect my emisions?

For all i know the valve might have been in just the wrong position for the year or so it stood, and so some oil has leaked into the port and I've only just spotted it - then again it could be everytime I run it, it gets worse - I dont know yet!

[Edited on 26/8/09 by Dangle_kt]

r1bob

posted on 26/8/09 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
before you do anything drastic i would run a bit more,,,,you say it as been stood a while ? i would would run it abit more ,let the ring's settle back in and everthing else before you look to get the spanner's out,, condensation can cause alot of prob's on parked up engine's...... i had a stuck ring on a v6 (firing on 5) it came to life eventually after an engine flush and gentle running in, hope this help's ya,,,bob
Canada EH!

posted on 26/8/09 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
This may sound strange; put a little 2 stroke oil in the gas 100 to 1 mix,and let it run for 1/2 hour at about 2000 rpm, this will help remove any rust in the cylinders and help reseat the rings.
mark chandler

posted on 26/8/09 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
And for me, pull the plugs and pour diesel in the holes and leave overnight, in the morning spin over to remove, shove the plugs in gentle drive for 20 minutes then full throttle for a few seconds, off the load pedal for 10 seonds, and repeat at different engine speeds for a while.

Full throttle forces the rings out, foot off allows the oil to lubricate the bores.

Regards Mark

Dangle_kt

posted on 27/8/09 at 06:12 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys! I'll have a play. I'm less concerned than I was. Cheers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.