Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: when selling a car?
daniel mason

posted on 30/8/09 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
when selling a car?

i have had some interest in my mnr which is up for sale on pistonheads from a guy from france.he wants to import the vehicle to france and wants to travel to collect it! he has only seen the cars in the photos but said he could transfer the money from bank to bank! is this a normal procedure for something of this value? or does it sound a bit dodgy?
blakep82

posted on 30/8/09 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
lol tell him where to go.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

prawnabie

posted on 30/8/09 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Tell him to stay at home with his white flag!
omega0684

posted on 30/8/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
agreed, never give your detail away, tell him to send you a bankers draft
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 30/8/09 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Money transfer via something like CHAPS is quite straightforward and common practice these days. Having said that, I too would be suspicious of any overseas buyer, although he is prepared to travel and collect it rather than arranging shipping. Provided that payment of the money is done on your terms and not his, I don't think you have anything to lose. Or am I also being too naive?

Phil

Edited to add - CHAPS is a bank to bank money transfer, which can be done on the same day he comes to collect the vehicle.

[Edited on 30-8-09 by Hellfire]

blakep82

posted on 30/8/09 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Money transfer via something like CHAPS is quite straightforward and common practice these days. Having said that, I too would be suspicious of any overseas buyer, although he is prepared to travel and collect it rather than arranging shipping. Provided that payment of the money is done on your terms and not his, I don't think you have anything to lose. Or am I also being too naive?

Phil

i would say so, yeah. if you give him your bank details to 'transfer the money' and your address of where he can 'travel to' to collect, and your name off the emails.

he has your name, address, bank details, and then he also has your bank account

once he's got all the info he wants, he'll not transfer the money, and he'll not come to collect it either, as he's rinsed out your bank account and got all he wanted

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

daniel mason

posted on 30/8/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
thanks phil. he said in his e- mail "how do you want to deal? transfer from bank to bank is possible" i however,am a bit cautious of this so is there a safer way?
blakep82

posted on 30/8/09 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
i'd go with cash on collection

owelly

posted on 30/8/09 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
You collect the guy from whatever train station he turns up at. He has a passenger ride in your car. You take him to your bank, he transfers the money direct to your account via the teller. He drives off in your car. Job done.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 30/8/09 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Blake, I'm not suggesting that any bank details are given to the buyer, rather the other way round which is why I said Provided that payment of the money is done on your terms and not his, I don't think you have anything to lose.

Personally, if I was selling a kitcar, I would expect offers from people in France, Holland etc. given the difficulties they can have in registering kitcars. I'd consult my bank first to ensure a secure method of payment before releasing the vehicle but provided some common sense is used I wouldn't be too worried.

Phil

blakep82

posted on 30/8/09 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
^ know what you mean, but if it's all legit, he'll need to tell his bank where to send the money to, and to do that, he'll need your bank account number and sort code.

if daniel was to contact his bank to ask for money to be taken from the buyers account for the payment, the bank shouldn't authorise it

Jon Ison

posted on 30/8/09 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
The only details required for bank transfer are account number and sort code, the same info you give anyone you write a cheque to.

When I sold the GT1 to a guy from Holland it was done this way, we regularly buys goods using this method of payement to.

zzr1100rick2

posted on 30/8/09 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
I sold a bike to a chap in spain
opened an account he pit money into the account i took money out and put it in my current account closed account that i had opened 10 days later a van came to pick bike up job done

Hellfire

posted on 30/8/09 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
i would say so, yeah. if you give him your bank details to 'transfer the money' and your address of where he can 'travel to' to collect, and your name off the emails.

he has your name, address, bank details, and then he also has your bank account

once he's got all the info he wants, he'll not transfer the money, and he'll not come to collect it either, as he's rinsed out your bank account and got all he wanted

As do countless thousands of other people whom I've ever sent a cheque to. They even have my bank address, sort code and even my signature, yet strangely enough none of them have ever tried to to rinse out my bank account

Phil

blakep82

posted on 30/8/09 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
i take it you've never sent a cheque to a scammer then?

nstrug

posted on 30/8/09 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
I don't see a problem. If you're worried, just open another current account just for this transfer.

The euro is very strong at the moment, and with the difficulty in building kitcars in France, you would be daft to exclude potential French buyers.

A kitcar with a valid European registration is very valuable in France so you're very likely to have interest.

Nick

Hellfire

posted on 30/8/09 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Some of the dodgy people I've dealt with, I'm sure there will be a few scammers amongst them. I've even given cheques to members of Locostbuilders!!

I think you watch/read too much fiction.....

Phil

blakep82

posted on 30/8/09 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
i worked for rbs

Hellfire

posted on 30/8/09 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Surprised you didn't recommend a bank transfer then............

Phil

blakep82

posted on 30/8/09 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
definitely wouldn't recommend RBS for anything

perksy

posted on 30/8/09 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thought a Kit had to be 'Factory Built' so it can be registered successfully in France ?
snippy

posted on 30/8/09 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I recently sold a Westfield to a chap from Holland. He wanted to pay for the car in Euro`s but I said no and told him to pay cash in pounds Sterling. He turned up a week later with a wad of cash for the car. Sell it on your terms only, if he really wants the car he won`t want to miss out. More and more kits are being sold abroad at the moment. I also asked for proof of ID at time of sale such as passport or ID card which again was provided. Just be sensible about it.
Nick

rgdavid

posted on 30/8/09 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
unhappily after october only kits that were made & registered before 1978 will be eligable for registration in france, 30 yrs old or more

very sad very very sad, thank the brussels europien parlement laws !!

richardh

posted on 31/8/09 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
same guy that asked about mine no doubt.

also had one from italy.

not worth the grief

Time for a change!

dhutch

posted on 31/8/09 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snippy
I recently sold a Westfield to a chap from Holland. He wanted to pay for the car in Euro`s but I said no and told him to pay cash in pounds Sterling. He turned up a week later with a wad of cash for the car. Sell it on your terms only, if he really wants the car he won`t want to miss out. More and more kits are being sold abroad at the moment. I also asked for proof of ID at time of sale such as passport or ID card which again was provided. Just be sensible about it.
Nick

Yeah, thats what i would be doing.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.