Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bike engine position
Barker

posted on 27/8/02 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
bike engine position

Have asked this before about weight distribution - Always thought best cars were mid engined - Therefore am planning to mount bike engine sideways with flange on front drive sprocket then bolt /mate this directly onto sierra diff. Obviously shorten front old engine bay and lengthen behind seat.

Anyone else going this route???

Pete

Alan B

posted on 27/8/02 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Pete,

Good clues/pics. here:
http://www.xtr2.net/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 27/8/02 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
the choice is yours, but iv'e got pretty near 50/50 weight dist (with driver seated) with the engine mounted on the pass side and by moving the pass footwell back around 5", it can be very "tail happy" at that, but if i was rear (mid) mounting then i would fix it transverse, infact i have futre plans do do such a build, but like i said don't let any of us put you off.....do ya own thing....

one way around pheraps would be to mount the diff much further back and run your drive shafts at an angle, whilst small, a bike engine bolted to a diff in the normal position would mean you have to move the seats a fair bit forward....
just my thoughts....go for it....

Barker

posted on 29/8/02 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that - great website.
Shame I havent got 23 grand!!!
Am wondering if I be better trying to copy westfields XTR2 chasis rather than modify the Tiger or locost?

Pete

Alan B

posted on 29/8/02 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks for that - great website.
Shame I havent got 23 grand!!!
Am wondering if I be better trying to copy westfields XTR2 chasis rather than modify the Tiger or locost?

Pete

I think any alternative to spending 23k is worth considering
While I have nothing against Westfield I don't think the XTR2 is any more than OK, especially for the money.
I think in your position I'd look at the XTR2 see what they had done, and combine the best of that and the book(s) (Ron and Tiger) to end up with something suited to your needs.
I guess you've already looked at mine from other threads?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Barker

posted on 30/8/02 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Great site youve got there. Couldnt see what gauge steel ?

was it 25mmx25mm 18 gauge?

Was the roll bar hoop put vertical rather than slanted back in the book to make construction easier?

Pete

I am actualy running an MR2 - got tied of waiting!

Alan B

posted on 30/8/02 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Great site youve got there. Couldnt see what gauge steel ?

was it 25mmx25mm 18 gauge?

Thanks. It's mainly 1" x 1" x 16g (hard to get metric stuff here )

quote:
Was the roll bar hoop put vertical rather than slanted back in the book to make construction easier?

I guess so. To be honest I never considered anything other than vertical. But, yes you're right it does make things easier keeping it vertical. BTW, the bar is 1.5" diameter x 0.095 wall DOM.

quote:
I am actualy running an MR2 - got tied of waiting!

So, imagine it half the weight

Alan

Alan B

posted on 30/8/02 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Er... Pete it was my site you were talking about wasn't it ? http://www.desicodesign.com/meerkat/
rather than the XTR2 site?

If not I feel a bit silly now

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.