Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Thinking of getting a iMac??
MK9R

posted on 10/11/10 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Thinking of getting a iMac??

I'm sick of the laptop sitting on the kitchen work top, the family all use it for email, web and music. So thinking of getting a new imac and mounting it on the wall in the kitchen. I've never used a mac before, and i personally do use some software not supported on Macs, but i will use the laptop for that anyway, but my concern is what they are like to use, and switching between mac and PC all the time (for me anyway). What are peoples experience in doing the swap?? Also does anyone know if there is a display input for the imac monitor so i can connect it to the sky tv box so can use it as a TV screen

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scootz

posted on 10/11/10 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
It will absolutely do your head in at first, but persevere and you will reap the rewards!

There will always be minature-disasters where it won't support a particular download or whatever, but I honestly couldn't go back to a PC.

It's Evolution Baby!

Benzine

posted on 10/11/10 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Try one out, personally I don't get on with the mac OS at all. When you get a mac you automatically become a brand loyal sales rep and sing their praises at all times, you'll soon learn simple lines from their advertising campaigns like "they just work" to tell friends and strangers you meet on the street.

[Edited on 10/11/10 by Benzine]

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
feckn7

posted on 10/11/10 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
I've used Macs since they 1st came out (1984) and have been an Apple 2nd level support engineer in a past life.

There are differences in the way the OSX and Windows do things which would take some getting used to. I believe that much more thought has gone into the Mac in the way things are done. There are some that don't like the way that Apple forces developers to do things in a certain way, but it's that direction that has made the Apple experience so consistent. - If you can remember the early days of windows EVERY application had different shortcuts for Cut, Copy and Paste. Even applications from the same developer. Apple decreed that any application that was to run on a Mac had to follow the same User Interface Guidelines which set command Z,X,C and V for Undo, Cut, Copy and Paste - now every application on Mac or Windows uses these same shortcuts (although with Control on a PC)

On to the iMac - these new ones are great. However, there is no input for the monitor to use it as a display for some other device. There are products to get TV on your Mac.
As all the new Macs have intel processors and ship with some software called bootcamp - you can (if you own a copy of Windows) partition your hard drive into a Mac and a PC partitions and can choose which partition to boot into at start up. This gives you a good quality PC as well as a Mac. There are also software packages to run a PC 'session' within the Mac OSX - VirtualBox which is free, Parallels or VMWare Fusion - I'm using Parallels currently, I used to use VMWare fusion but found it was a bit more resource hungry and a bit slower - these virtual PCs can use either the Bootcamp partition or virtual machines - I use both, I currently have XP, Windows 7 and Server2008 on my Mac for the software I'm forced to support that some developers just won't make Mac versions of.

David

peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 10/11/10 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Do it......they are simply amazing.

Had apple products now for about 7yrs and couldn't dream over going back to a PC. Although be warned once bitten you'll be buying everything apple, as I have done. powerbook, imac, iphone, ipad, apple tv.

Pete.

Humbug

posted on 10/11/10 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
It will absolutely do your head in at first, but persevere and you will reap the rewards!

There will always be minature-disasters where it won't support a particular download or whatever, but I honestly couldn't go back to a PC.

It will absolutely do your wallet in as well, compared to a similarly-spec'ed Windoze machine. If you only want email, web and music then the supposed advantages of a Mac (apps, user interface, etc.) would be wasted.

According to the Apple website, the cheapest iMac (21.5" monitor) is £999. A quick look at ebuyer here shows you can get a similar Acer with 23" touchscreen monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse for £749. And it will run your Windows programs if you need to

When (ha!) Apple start selling Mac OS to legally run on other hardware I might consider one.

[Edited on 10.11.2010 by Humbug]

Tris

posted on 10/11/10 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I use one (and a macbook pro) all day long for work.

I do IT for a living and i was initially hesitant at making the switch as i had no experience of mac OS. To be very honest, ive had almost no issues over the last year, and when i have had issues its been due to me straying away or playing with things new (aftermarket SSD drives as an example).

As i write this i have both Windows 2008 Server r2 and Windows 7 virtual machines running on my macbook, and constantly switch between them all. Unless you need to get under the hood, everything is very simple and to hand with a few little differences (notepad becomes textedit for an example).

To answer your question - apparently yes although you will need a converter - http://www.apple.com/imac/features.html#ports

There's come good info in a post half way down this webpage - http://discussions.info.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2205633&start=30&tstart=0

mark.s

posted on 10/11/10 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
just got a macbook 2 weeks ago, should of done it 12 years ago,
very simple and easy to use, have a look at a mac mini if you want to plug it in to
an external monitor, they can work out cheaper to

mark

Tris

posted on 10/11/10 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
Regards cost - you have to be careful comparing to windows machines that your actually comparing apple's to apple's (so to speak).

Yes, they are more expensive, there's no getting a way from that. And yes, if all you wish to do is to is email and surf then a cheap x64 based machine with a free flavour of linux would be by far the cheapest option.

Apple's tend to be fuller featured and yes, you are paying for the design, free support, and build quality. Having the option of being able to walk into any apple store in the country with your mac and get free unlimited technical support is priceless to some people.

Take laptops for example, this post compares a macbook pro to the comparable Dell laptop - there's not much in it when your looking at the more powerful machines.

http://www.markc.me.uk/MarkC/Blog/Entries/2010/8/18_The_Apple_Tax_-_Again.html

MK9R

posted on 10/11/10 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
i'm off to PC wprld just to have a look at some of their all in one PC's, just to get an idea what they have. Been on the dell site and there all in ones do not have display inputs

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

hughpinder

posted on 10/11/10 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the elgato eyetv usb stick thing if you can live with just the freeview channels.
I would say changing to a mac from a PC is no more difficult than going from XP to VISTA/windows7 (especially since they seem to have modeled the user inerface of 7/vista on OSX). If you do get one I would say you should invest in the mcGraw Hill book "OSX: the missing manual". You don't need more than 2G ram unless you want to run windows.
When I first had macs I worried about some software not being available, but it turned out to be a non issue - unless to want to program embedded microchips or something a bit obscure. I installed XP on a partition with bootcamp, checked it all boots ok, and haven't used it since.
Regards
Hugh

Liam

posted on 10/11/10 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
I dont use one myself, but when comparing value for money against a PC it is worth noting iMacs use beautiful IPS screens - equivalent to (in fact the same LG panels, apparently) the Dell Ultrasharp range of (expensive) PC monitors. So even a 2k 27" imac seems almost bargain-tastic when you consider a 27" Dell Ultrasharp PC monitor alone costs over £800!
DaveFJ

posted on 10/11/10 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Just to be the 'one' with a different view....

I'm an IT professional and have worked extensively with windows and unix for many years in all flavours.

I have tried MACs and indeed had a company macbook for about 6 months during which it was used extensively every day...

I can honestly say i wouldnt touch another MAC if they paid me......

OK for sitting at home reading email and telling everyone you are superior but as a useful business tool... forget it!

My opinion and i now await the flaming form the resident iHolics that worship at the altar of Steve Jobs....

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

craig1410

posted on 10/11/10 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
I'm an IT Consultant and have had PCs since the days of the amstrad PC-1512 back in the 1986. Since the Amstrad I have built every PC I have owned from scratch myself, typically every 3 years or so. I'm also an electronics engineer and have a lot of electronics design and repair experience. Finally, to set the scene, I have been a user of various operating systems over the years including DOS, Windows 2 through 7, IBM OS/2 and latterly Linux in various forms. In fact I used Linux over about 15 years and this is what was installed on my last PC before I made the switch to the Mac in 2007. Linux always promised more than it delivered and my patience finally ran out when Apple brought out the first of the Aluminium and glass iMacs back in August '07.

When I got my Mac, I was still using Windows XP at work. We are now using Windows 7 at work and although it is an improvement, it doesn't come close to the Mac in terms of ease and pleasure of use. as an experienced computer user I don't need "ease of use" so much but it sure is nice to have! Pleasure of use we can all appreciate and it comes through the consistent way in which things work and the pure design effort which has been made to make it a nice machine to use. As Locostbuilders, we are probably better at spotting good design on cars where someone has designed a clever mechanism of some sort which just says to you that they have put some thought into the build. It's like this with Apple - they really care about good design. Apple also design the system to be in balance so you don't get a huge engine with a crap cooling system or bodywork which flies off at 80MPH. Having said that, Apple make some seriously powerful machines but they are designed to be quiet, reliable and efficient as well as powerful. A balance.

Prices are deceptive so beware of those who describe Apple gear as overpriced. These people generally don't have Apple gear and don't have a clue about electronics and electronic design. No they aren't cheap but if you compare an Apple machine with a TRUE equivalent PC then the prices are similar and often the Apple machine will be cheaper once you take account of all factors (eg. Cost, delivery, support, software etc.) One area worth noting is the display quality of Apple computers because in general they are way ahead of the typical PC display and are more comparable to workstation class displays. The key thing here is IPS (in plane switching) displays which are simply stunning. You really need to see them in the flesh to appreciate this. The iMac 27" display is beautiful, as is the 21.5" if your budget won't stretch to the 27. Mine is a 24" but the same technology behind it. Keyboard quality tends to be much higher than average and the trackpads on Apple laptops are actually useful, contrary to most PCs. The fit and finish speaks for itself and I challenge anyone to criticise the build quality of these machines and their aesthetic beauty.

Reliability is better than average but more importantly the customer service is outstanding. Telephone support is very effective and If you live near an Apple retail store then you can pop in the for help any time. No hard sell, just good support and you can even sit in on free workshops where they will train you to use various pieces of software and hardware.

I've had my iMac for 3 years and it feels as good and fast as new. I've upgraded the operating system twice in that time from Tiger to Leopard and now to Snow Leopard and each time the upgrade has been flawless. I've never had to do a clean install due to sluggishness, something which is often necessary on Windows. The cost of the upgrades was also low compared to windows, with Snow Leopard costing just £25 to upgrade. No hassles with product keys and no hassles with malware and virus software etc. Not saying you can't get a virus on a Mac but in practice it almost never happens.

So, yes I would heartily recommend getting an iMac but beware that you will probably ask yourself why you didn't do it sooner and it is unlikely you will ever be happy with Windows ever again! My Dad and several friends have switched to the Mac and I don't know anyone who has switched back to a PC. If worst comes to the worst though you can run windows on the Mac hardware. This is called Bootcamp and is fully supported by Apple. Nothing to lose really so go for it...... :-)

Good luck, let me know if you need any further advice.
Craig.

[Edited on 10/11/2010 by craig1410]

MK9R

posted on 10/11/10 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Just been to PC world for a look. The mac is out, purely down to where i want to mount it and how i want to use it. The stand is integrated into the case so i can't mount it on the wall in an alcove as i want, and the lack of touch screen means i have to discount it. Then looking at PC options, most of them don't lend themselves to wall mountings, ignoring specs and looking at mounting possibilities the best option seem to be the sony

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/sony-vaio-vpcj12l0e-b-cek-07675150-pdt.html

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

scudderfish

posted on 10/11/10 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
Just been to PC world for a look. The mac is out, purely down to where i want to mount it and how i want to use it. The stand is integrated into the case so i can't mount it on the wall in an alcove as i want, and the lack of touch screen means i have to discount it. Then looking at PC options, most of them don't lend themselves to wall mountings, ignoring specs and looking at mounting possibilities the best option seem to be the sony

FYI, the stand is removable and Apple sell a VESA mount kit for it

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC772ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

MK9R

posted on 10/11/10 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R

FYI, the stand is removable and Apple sell a VESA mount kit for it

http://store.apple.com/uk/product/MC772ZM/A?mco=MTY3ODQ5OTY

well that shows how much PC world salesman knew!!! Well thats made the decision harder again!!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

craig1410

posted on 10/11/10 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't realise you needed a touchscreen, sorry.

One word of advice-try the touchscreen out because in my opinion it won't work very well. We have touchscreen PC's here in our offices which I develop software for things like retail point of sale. They are great for that purpose but crap for general computing use.

Better with a little shelf under the computer for a keyboard and trackpad (eg. Magic Trackpad) or trackball.

Are you sure the iMac can't be wall mounted? I was sure the stand could be removed to reveal a VESA mount. I'll check.

scudderfish

posted on 10/11/10 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

well that shows how much PC world salesman knew!!! Well thats made the decision harder again!!!

PC World are synonymous with KwickFit (with a side order of estate agent mixed in) in my experience.

Liam

posted on 10/11/10 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure what this wall mounting malarky is all about? Are your family supposed to use it standing up like a cash machine or something? . If they're going to be able to sit down, then knees will be sticking out, so surely there is room for some sort of shelf on which to put things, which would make your choices less restrictive.
MK9R

posted on 10/11/10 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
Not sure what this wall mounting malarky is all about? Are your family supposed to use it standing up like a cash machine or something? . If they're going to be able to sit down, then knees will be sticking out, so surely there is room for some sort of shelf on which to put things, which would make your choices less restrictive.

LOL, its hard to explain where its going to be mounted

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

craig1410

posted on 10/11/10 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
As mentioned above, the best option would be a shelf in my opinion. The iMac wireless keyboard which comes as standard is tiny and the Apple Magic Trackpad is ideal to place beside it on a shelf.

Something to be aware of - in the next couple of months Apple will be opening a Mac App Store just like the stuff you can get on the iPhone and iPad. This will mean that lots of handy software packages will become available such as cooking and recipe apps and shopping apps etc. Ideal for the kitchen. These apps will be designed to work with the Magic Trackpad using Multi touch gestures just like the iPad and iPhone. I believe this will be massive for the Mac platform and you have a good chance here to be at the forefront of this. There is little doubt that it will be a huge success just like the iOS App Store. Apple have ruled out on-screen touchscreen technology because it just doesn't work. Your arms get tired and the screen is just too big to work with.

IMac + VESA mount + Shelf + Magic Trackpad = Sorted!! IMHO of course...

geoff shep

posted on 10/11/10 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
You could get a mac mini. Does all the mac stuff and you can connect it to any screen you have - including a TV screen if you need that too.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macmini/features.html

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.