Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Flatshifts
Yazza54

posted on 14/12/10 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Flatshifts

I've been looking at flatshifts for my R1 5PW Fury. Not the ram type ones... just a coil kill. Would be interested to know what other people are running? I still want the paddles to operate mechanically.. just with a coil kill when I pull the paddle.

I've seen a couple of boxes that do the coil kill... but they don't come with a trigger switch. Then when I've looked into the inline switches thatgo in the linkage rods they cost twice what the bloody coil kill electronic box costs!!!!

Ideas/Suggestions/Opinions welcome

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

MakeEverything

posted on 14/12/10 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Cant you make a switch system on the paddles using reed switches or microswitches through a relay?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

RazMan

posted on 14/12/10 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have often wondered about these kits and I would imagine the point where the switch is activated (top or bottom of the paddle travel) would be critical if you are going to avoid a lot of crunching noises.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Yazza54

posted on 14/12/10 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
The proper switches are in line in the linkage and either react to a push or pull... these are about £200 alone! Then the box controls the coils and the kill times etc is another £200 again!

Rocket_Rabbit

posted on 14/12/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yazza54
The proper switches are in line in the linkage and either react to a push or pull... these are about £200 alone! Then the box controls the coils and the kill times etc is another £200 again!

Are they?

I'm sure you can get a full solenoid flatshift auto-blipper for under £400.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 14/12/10 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
The best ones Ive used are either the Pingle or the Klicktronic, both with steering wheel electronic push buttons for up and down shifts, I had the Flatshifter pro on one of my Indys a couple of years ago, great for up shifts, but the autoblip down shift was a bit poor, but since then they have brought out the Flatshifter Max, could be what you are looking for.

http://www.flatshifter.com/

Yazza54

posted on 23/12/10 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Bought a translogic system. British superbike recommended, got it for a good price and the switch is tiny, looks very well made. With limited space in the linkage this is the only one that would work. Will post pics later...

P.s retails about 380 Inc vat, got it off eBay for 320 posted recorded..he's got 4 left. Came this morn, very pleased.

It's plug and play to the coils, needs ground and ignition live which are easy enough to do. Figured out how it'll fit to the linkage and did a little CAD drawing so my dads engineer friend can make the adapters (linkage is m5 but shift switch is m6), has a map switch for the dash too for different kill times.

Got to keep busy when winter stops play

noc231073

posted on 24/12/10 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
anyone fit the flatshift pro system how does the vacum work???
PAUL FISHER

posted on 24/12/10 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent
Yazza54

posted on 24/12/10 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't take a pic as I got carried away and just fitted it all :p

Just waiting on the adapters now for the sensor and I'll stick some pics up of how it all fits in etc. After looking at all the kits this is the best packaged in terms on sensor size and fitment I could find. It's a very well finished product in terms of the loom, switches, sensor etc... looks like good value, if it works as well as it should I'll be made up.

It's this one..

http://www.translogicuk.com/quickshifter-system-2.htm

Vid of one on a sidecar...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7gCGJ8ncgw

Yazza54

posted on 30/12/10 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Fitted now..

White plugs are from the flatshift, the plugs from your loom plug into the flatshifter loom and then back to the coils. Dead easy to figure out.

Yellow switch on the dash controls base kill time, slowest is 70 millisecs, then 60 then 50. The other parameters are set by the sensor and flatshift ecu, dependant on gear, revs etc.

Pressure sensor inline in the linkage, this one is a push sensor but pull ones are available too.

All in all very pleased. Shifts very smooth and feels a lot kinder on the gearbox, can definitely tell the difference when you change the kill times too, faster but more harsh. The slowest setting is still very fast and is perfect for road/touring.

[Edited on 30/12/10 by Yazza54]

neo2

posted on 30/12/10 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi im liking the look of these now you have done the homework on them been looking for a while for my GSXR indy, im also in the middle of fitting the paddle shifter to mine but its going to be using micro switches in the padals and a electronic soleniod at the lever end, i am retaining the interior manual lever too for both options, just deciding which type to go for like yours or the type where the pressure switch is on the lever on the engine itself, would you go for the same one again or choose different etc..
Yazza54

posted on 30/12/10 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't change it, I'd rather have the sensor in the linkage right on the shift lever. Can't get any better placing than that, coincidentally that was the only place I had enough room to fit it anyway. There wasn't enough room to fit it behind the paddle, but I'm glad because it made me think of a better way. All I had to do was re route my shift cable around the steering column and make two 100mm brackets to give room for the sensor arrangement. Also to fit the sensor I had 2 adapters machined up (did a CAD drawing for the little adapters), because my linkage is M5 but the sensor thread is M6. Works perfect.

It's all perfectly rigid on the linkage and feels great through the paddle. The sensor works by push on mine and is solid on downshift. Though being a sensor it's solid on upshift anyway, it's not like a switch..i.e you can't feel any movement if you press the sensor by hand. Besides being a bit of a performance mod it just generally feels easier on the gearbox and nicer to drive.

[Edited on 30/12/10 by Yazza54]

neo2

posted on 3/1/11 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Nice mod that im thinking i want one mine has electric solenoid working the shift lever on the engine through paddles operated by switches instead of cable, but ive still got the full lever in as well, as back up in case of solenoid failure..
Yazza54

posted on 3/1/11 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neo2
Nice mod that im thinking i want one mine has electric solenoid working the shift lever on the engine through paddles operated by switches instead of cable, but ive still got the full lever in as well, as back up in case of solenoid failure..

But no flatshift? So you still have to lift off when you pull the paddle which operates the switch?

Same principle if so.. you'll end up with a fully semi auto flatshift. As the solenoid pushing on the gear lever will work the pressure sensor. Whereas mine is still manual as it's a cable to the paddle, albeit with full throttle upshift.

neo2

posted on 4/1/11 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah thats right i still have to lift off throttle and then click paddle etc
Yazza54

posted on 4/1/11 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Well that'll work on the same principle. This one doesn't do downshift though I.e no auto blipper.

matt_gsxr

posted on 4/1/11 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yazza,

You might want to triangulate your bracket, at the moment its only the clamping of the bolts that is stopping it rotating. When it goes rotate it might knacker your cable.

Matt

Yazza54

posted on 5/1/11 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
It was never triangulated before though? Just bolted direct to the brackets. It's totally rigid. I guess it'd be easy enough to make two ally L shaped brackets to meet them in the middle though.

adithorp

posted on 5/1/11 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
The bolts are probably man enough for the job as the pull is pretty much in line. If it's not in line though any movement will effectively alter the cable length on the other hand.
I'd not put a lot a faith in Matt when it comes to cable pulls anyway... I'llleave him to explain why.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

RazMan

posted on 5/1/11 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
That really is a neat little system - do you have a link for the pressure switches? I think they might come in handy for a future project.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Yazza54

posted on 5/1/11 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.translogicuk.com/quickshifter-system-2.htm

I bought mine brand new off eBay for 60 or so quid less than the list price posted, so it's worth checking on there too. Remember that there are two different types of sensor... Push and pull depending on the direction your gearlever works on upshift. Also there's two versions.. GP and Linear. Mines the gp which is best at either the paddle end or gear box end. I'd say gearbox end is always better. The linear is longer and looks harder to fit, I think it's for going in the middle of the linkage on a bike.

Part no of mine is TLS-QS2GPPUSH

I did a CAD drawing for the m5/m6 adapters I had made to fit the sensor in the linkage too if anyone decides to use this system and needs it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.