Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Emerald Teething Help Please
Yazza54

posted on 21/6/11 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
Emerald Teething Help Please

Hi guys,

At the garage with dad trying to get the Ultima/Maserati to fire, the emerald system has a dedicated circuit for the power to coils and injectors. Was cranking it but it's bone dry, seems the fuse for said circuit is blown.

Was only a 10a fuse so the electrician has put a 15a and it's blown again. Now it's a bit hit and miss and theres no fuse value given by emerald from what he's read. Does anyone know roughly from the brief info I've given if this kind of fuse sounds too small or adequate?

Any other things we could check?

The ecu seems to work fine, spins ove great, plenty of fuel pressure, but each time we stick a new fuse in it pops it

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

Hammerhead

posted on 21/6/11 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
sorry didn't get past the Ultima Maserati bit...........I need pictures please!!!!
Yazza54

posted on 22/6/11 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I'll get a video of it running when it eventually coughs up! Need to set the timing now on the laptop... Hoping it's obvious but I bet it isn't!

omega 24 v6

posted on 22/6/11 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
to be honest we'd need to know the coil type. mines has a 15 amp and its fine ( wasted spark v/hall 4 cyl). Inj will pull very little as well.

Unplug the coil and injectors and take the plug out of thr ecu. then check with meter between the pins and earth and between indivudal pins ( all of them against each other ). set on ohms the wiring should all be clear of each other ( unless there is atacho take of or such like.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

will121

posted on 22/6/11 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yazza54

At the garage with dad trying to get the Ultima/Maserati to fire, the emerald system has a dedicated circuit for the power to coils and injectors. Was cranking it but it's bone dry, seems the fuse for said circuit is blown.

Was only a 10a fuse so the electrician has put a 15a and it's blown again. Now it's a bit hit and miss and theres no fuse value given by emerald from what he's read. Does anyone know roughly from the brief info I've given if this kind of fuse sounds too small or adequate?

Any other things we could check?

The ecu seems to work fine, spins ove great, plenty of fuel pressure, but each time we stick a new fuse in it pops it

when you say Emerald ECU has a dedicated circuit for the power to coils and injectors, do you mean this as a separate unit? as when i fitted my emerald ECU i ran the live feed to power the coil and injectors via a fused relay direct from the ignition switch independant of the ECU as the ECU only provides the switch neutral trigger element not the full current load of the injectors, coil or pump?
think from memory my zetec coil and injectors are fused at 15A but assume yours is a V8??? may be different loading. i would give emerald a ring as there is a chap there who develops the ECU and generally all good with free advise and also double check/test the coil/injectors for wiring fault and shorts just incase the fuse is blowing for a good reason

[Edited on 22/6/11 by will121]

Yazza54

posted on 22/6/11 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
It's as if the initial draw is too much on the first turn of the key. If you give it a sec then pop the fuse in and crank it won't blow.

The electrician says the coils and injectors have their own fuse for the pair. Never seen this done before but he will have done whatever is in the emerald instructions.

Another thing for you guys who are familiar with emerald ecus, any tips on setting the throttle pot and timing to make it run? Running a 60-2 bosch setup

will121

posted on 22/6/11 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
TPS setting is in manual, think its in set up menu and it then just asks you to apply full throttle and release and it self calibrates, as for timing if crank sensor in right position/angle and ECU set to 60/2 with trigger position angle should run from base map
Myke 2463

posted on 22/6/11 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Do it the easy way and speak to Dave Walker. make sure you have the serial no and model no.

Tel: 01953 889110

Be Lucky Mike.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.