Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: mounting the engine
heyzee

posted on 23/8/04 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
mounting the engine

im about to place my r1 engine in my indy and make a cradle for it but have a few questions i would like to clear up first.
i have the engine about 15 to 20 mm off the bulkhead and over the passenger side as far as i possibly can,but when you look at the position of the sprocket it is over towards the drivers side bulkhead
(not central in the transmition tunnel,is this ok)
allso the chassis is sat on a work table and ive just put the engine level with the bottom rails,do i need to drop it down at all or is this ok for clearence??im useing the newer fuel injected enjine is there any difference in height to the carb model
does anyone have any good clear photos of the cradle or how they have mounted theres thanks any pictures would be great

richardR1

posted on 23/8/04 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Can take some pictures of mine tomorrow if that will help. Building an Indy with a 2003 R1 5PW injection motor. The sprocket adaptor does sit to the offside but not by a huge amount. Mine is using the MK supplied cradle.
Hellfire

posted on 23/8/04 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Most BEC's (if not all) are offset... that's the reason for using a sliding spline and CV joint. Our's uses a 'blade engine and is also offset.

kingr

posted on 24/8/04 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
On mine the sprocket is as near as dammit in the centre (R1 uses stacked gearbox, so it's closer to centre than other bike engines), but if you're as far over towards the sides as possible then that's all you can do.

I've got my engine flush with the bottom of my chassis, which is great for ground clearance, but not great for bonnet clearance (I needed a bump, and even then it only just fits). If your car is book dimensions, I'd advise that you drop the engine down around an inch below the chassis. This will push the engine further over though.

Kingr

heyzee

posted on 24/8/04 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
photos

richard some photos would be a great help.does your engine sit below the bottom rails??or flush?
richardR1

posted on 24/8/04 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Not managed to get any photos tonight as I didn't finish work until late. Will take the piccies and post tomorrow night about 10.30pm. I am sure my engine sits lower than the bottom rails - will photograph this as it is now on the donor wheels. I have the MK bonnet with the bulge and this is apparently designed to fit over the standard bike airbox, although the airbox is turned round to sit lower.
richardR1

posted on 25/8/04 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Here are the pics - hope they help

engine 1
engine 1

engine 2
engine 2

engine 3
engine 3

engine 4
engine 4

engine 5
engine 5

In the pics the airbox is fitted as it is on the bike - needs modding to turn round but only just acquired it.

And this is the coolest dog on the planet - my mate's Schnauzer. Will look cool in the MK with flying goggles on !!!!!

Mad Max
Mad Max

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.