Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gearchange Cable
T66

posted on 27/7/12 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Gearchange Cable

How well will a cable deal with a tight radius from paddles , down onto the floor and run centrally to the gear lever, in my little Fiat?

Thanks

T66

posted on 28/7/12 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Any clues chaps ?

ReMan

posted on 28/7/12 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Not too well
I got mine from here
http://www.cable-tec.co.uk/Products/Push_Pull_Cables.asp
The specs are shown. I believe mine was 3 series, but i would really want it tighter than 6" rad, to avoid over stressing it or it binding

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

T66

posted on 28/7/12 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Not had owt to do with cables before, so wasn't sure. Cheers.

40inches

posted on 28/7/12 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
If it's tight at the engine end, you would be better making up a crank, to keep the cable as straight as possible.
Shiny Gearlever
Shiny Gearlever

T66

posted on 28/7/12 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
It's the paddle end that will cause the tight radius, the fiat is tiny.

Im not convinced there's the space for it. The other option was to mounts the lever on the right side , ie no paddles , and the cable routing is less severe.

At this rate I might just fit the Pingel solenoid and have buttons, with no mechanical linkage.

40inches

posted on 28/7/12 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
Can't you fit a crank on the side of the steering column, converting forward/back movement into up/down?

Mr C

posted on 28/7/12 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
I've used 6mm cables from cabletec which is the smallest size I would personally use for gear changing. The site mentions the minimum radius though use that as a guide and aim to get as straight as possible. Length is a little critical as you cant just roll up the excess I went for a slightly shorter length and added threaded rod to take up the final adjustment.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

ReMan

posted on 28/7/12 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
6mm?
This is a BEC

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

BobM

posted on 30/7/12 at 10:18 AM Reply With Quote
My experience using a cable from a paddle in a mid-engined BEC was that I eventually gave up on it as it was fairly hard work. I now use a gear lever in the centre very close to the steering wheel which then gives a very short direct run back to the gearbox and works much better.

Not very Locost but very BEC

Mr C

posted on 30/7/12 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
6mm?
This is a BEC

TBH not sure what you are suggesting . I would use the biggest I could get away with, to ensure durability under hard use and improved feel, 6mm is about there in terms of ease of installation flexibility etc. To be honest I would do as Bob M, above, where possible as it makes for a so much better gearchange.

I don't hold much faith in the 6mm cable lasting any lenght of time on my setup which is a subaru gearbox mid mounted, a collegue broke a cable literally testing its function a minute or so after just installing it on exactly the same set up.

Girl walks into a bar and asks for a double entendre, so the barman gave her one

ReMan

posted on 30/7/12 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr C
quote:
6mm?
This is a BEC

TBH not sure what you are suggesting . I would use the biggest I could get away with, to ensure durability under hard use and improved feel, 6mm is about there in terms of ease of installation flexibility etc. To be honest I would do as Bob M, above, where possible as it makes for a so much better gearchange.

I don't hold much faith in the 6mm cable lasting any lenght of time on my setup which is a subaru gearbox mid mounted, a collegue broke a cable literally testing its function a minute or so after just installing it on exactly the same set up.

Well the cable tec 6mm will take 1000lb pull?
If your breaking that then there's something wrong?
And the OP was clearly looking for a small turn radius.....

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Mr C

posted on 30/7/12 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr C
quote:
6mm?
This is a BEC

Well the cable tec 6mm will take 1000lb pull?
If your breaking that then there's something wrong?
And the OP was clearly looking for a small turn radius.....

A 6mm cable will go to a 76mm radius, the smallest (5mm) will go to a 51mm radius. The 6mm cable is rated at "Light Duty" I would be interested to see where the pull rating of 1000lb came from, perhaps for the inner wire only? a half ton rating seems high for an assembled push pull cable with fixings on each end, the joints of which are the weak point and what determines the rating.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.