Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Opinions on a bonnet scoop for cooler air intake?
Doyleee

posted on 11/6/13 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
Opinions on a bonnet scoop for cooler air intake?

Hi all am i just wasting my time and effort??,
I have a zx12r with a fabricated air box attached to the intake which is very well made and can only describe as looking like a glorified car exhaust back box with a 4 inch inlet pipe and a K&N cone filter attached at the front which tucks under the front nosecone slightly pointing down

I'm thinking of moving adjusting the pipe so it's slightly higher up approx 2 inches as it looks like where it is situated behind rad would be taking in warm air so i thought if i make a cowling that lays horizontally on top of rad to shield the hot air blown off the rad fan and then cut bonnet scoop to direct cooler air into the air filter this way separating warm fan air and cool intake air

Would this be more effort than actual gain would you think as i did first think of rammed air but was warned off as this can cause problems??

Ben_Copeland

posted on 11/6/13 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
Lot of people recon it's more important to get the hot air OUT of the engine bay first before cutting in scoops etc.

Do you have any vents at the back on the bonnet/ side panels?

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

mark chandler

posted on 11/6/13 at 07:19 AM Reply With Quote
Moving the intake from behind the rad to infront will make a difference, I cannot say how much but for myself when I did this with a rover V8 it stopped pinking under heavy load and felt more powerful so a very useful mod.

Injected engine should cope with any ram air affects, carbs are more lightly to have an issue as they cannot adapt however most bikes have the trumpets pointing forward under the tank so will already have this to a degree.

Regards Mark

Doyleee

posted on 11/6/13 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
No there's no vents expelling air would this be the first way to go?
Ben_Copeland

posted on 11/6/13 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
Depends where your getting air from, but the heat buildup inside the bonnet will negate any benefit of a vent at the front. Plus it looks better with vents at the back of the bonnet

If your taking air from infront of the radiator then it probably wouldn't matter

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

swanny

posted on 11/6/13 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doyleee
No there's no vents expelling air would this be the first way to go?

possibly, otherwise you wont actually get rid of much hot air. vents towards the back will let the hot air out, openings at the front will primarily let cold in?

i worried a lot about cooling for my old V8 but in the end it never got hot, with small rear vents and the air that came in through the nose.

40inches

posted on 11/6/13 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
I have vents at the rear top of the bonnet, in the side panels in front of the foot well bulkhead. A vent on the nosecone plus an air feed for the air box. All works very well, under bonnet temps are low, and despite a few negative comments about the air feed being in a negative pressure area?,the air feed works well too, I have hit the rev limiter in 5th very easily
Vents
Vents

Ben_Copeland

posted on 11/6/13 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Bonnet Vent
Bonnet Vent

Yep I have vents in and vents out. A lot of heat comes out of the rear vents. Keeps your face warm

Ben

Enter Your Details Here

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.