Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wireless cctv? recommends?
coops222
Contributor

Posts 60
Registered 28/4/12
Location hull

Photo Archive Go!
Building: robin hood sub k (built) lambretta mac175 (still b

posted on 11/11/14 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
wireless cctv? recommends?

after having vans/cars and shed broken into recently i would like to fit cctv without loads of wires everywhere.

can anyone recommend a good quality system, but not megga money.....

thanks

splitrivet

posted on 11/11/14 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
What sort of distance is it from where you want to cover to your router.
Sadly theres no such thing as wireless CCTV as all the cameras wired or wireless need a power supply feed in which case you might as well run regular CCTV and pay less for the camera and get better images to boot.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

ReMan

posted on 11/11/14 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
Looking myself so interested. The only thinkg is , that wireless is nor really wireless and still needs a power cable, so not sure of the full advantage over wired

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

bi22le

posted on 11/11/14 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Looking myself so interested. The only thinkg is , that wireless is nor really wireless and still needs a power cable, so not sure of the full advantage over wired

If its going to a garage or a vantage point where there is a power source it means you dont have to run a data cable all of the way back to the monitor.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

gremlin1234

posted on 11/11/14 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
don't forget that you can get 'homeplug/powerline' devices, - Ethernet over mains.

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/hardware/reviews/70-devolo-dlan-500-avtriple-starter-kit-review.html

dave r

posted on 11/11/14 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
another problem with wireless is your neighbours can watch you!!!

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

loggyboy

posted on 11/11/14 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
I bought basic (circa £200) multi camera setup from maplin. Function is good, but quality isn't great. you can make out whats going on, but at any distance you wouldn't know who was doing it.
It was fully wired but didn't take long to wire, I went up thru loft and down in to eaves of both house and garage to get the 2 main vantage points.
If you want it as deterrent then any kit will do, if you prone to crimes, then a HD or setup would be best for any reliable evidence.
Its also worth noting that unless they actually hurt you, the police don't tend to care anyway, and if they do the courts cant do much.

Mistral Motorsport

jossey

posted on 11/11/14 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
Check this out then let us know if you want wireless CCTV

http://insecam.com/

Even mine which I have non default usernames and passwords was hacked using a few free tools of the Internet...
I couldn't secure mine which was a Swann system I had to bin it in the end.

Now have a wired dvr with a web interface which is secure...

David

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
splitrivet

posted on 11/11/14 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I do a wireless alarm that takes a PAYG sim you could stick one of the 3 PIR's in your shed and fit others through the house, sounds an internal sound bomb and calls and texts you if someone breaks in. You can text it to switch it on or off.
Fitted dozens good quality and very reliable £145 plus post. I normally fit these for £299.
Or if you want a good commercial quality 960h CCTV system not the cheap Maplins crap, with HDMI p2p remote viewing for phone or remote viewing and face recognition a doddle to set up let me know how many cameras and I'll give you a price, it wont be much different than Maplins but vastly better quality.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 11/11/14 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Matt21

posted on 11/11/14 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
my dad has recently installed 2 cameras at his house, theyre both wireless (except for power), 720p, infra red jobbies and ive got to say, im very impressed!
you can clearly make out faces on the property and reg numbers on the road (which is a good 60+ft away)
They also automatically start recording when they sense movement.

Iv sent him a message for the links for them, i'll post here when I get them

and the best bit, theyre around £25-35 each!

Slimy38

posted on 11/11/14 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt21
my dad has recently installed 2 cameras at his house, theyre both wireless (except for power), 720p, infra red jobbies and ive got to say, im very impressed!
you can clearly make out faces on the property and reg numbers on the road (which is a good 60+ft away)
They also automatically start recording when they sense movement.

Iv sent him a message for the links for them, i'll post here when I get them

and the best bit, theyre around £25-35 each!

I'd be very interested to know what these are, all the ones I've seen start at £100 for a decent picture, anything less and I might as well sellotape a webcam to the outside of the house!

Matt21

posted on 12/11/14 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Heres the link he sent me (I dont think this one is wireless... he bought 2 and only sent one link, i assume one was wired one wasnt)

Outdoor Waterproof HD 720P Night Vision Network IP Camera smartphone Onvif UK | eBay
ulwholesalelist

I've seen the picture quality first hand and it is very good!

I can get you some screen shots, but it may take me a few weeks as we are both away at work at the moment

Slimy38

posted on 12/11/14 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Matt, much appreciated. I'll do a search for the equivalent wireless one. The price is certainly appealing!
joneh

posted on 12/11/14 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

I worked in CCTV for 5 years. Best thing to do is work out your recording solution first then select your cameras.

The last thing you want to do is buy some cameras off eBay with crappy Chinease software that crashes, then realise they don't work with anything else. Y-cam had some nice IP wireless cameras, that worked with most things.

Jon

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.