Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pipercross airfilter - space between stacks - filter?
Northpole

posted on 14/11/14 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Pipercross airfilter - space between stacks - filter?

I did post about velocity stacks earlier, but I need to ask here if anyone can give me good advices about this subject.

I have only small space between the bonnet and the airfilter in my car. Therefore I am looking at what type of Pipercross foam filter I can use.

I tried C5001 which is a boxfilter and only 40 mm high, 28-30 mm internal height, which means the space between the stacks (which are all 4 low now) and the filter is only 2 mm, as the stacks are 25 mm high from the base plate.
- That is not enough I am told, as the foam filter could be sucked in the engine.

So now I am looking at a Domed type of filter and like C502d and a base plate pxc5039. This filter is 65 mm high and 40 mm space inside the filter.
Which gives me appr 15 mm space between the stacks and the filter. - Is 15 mm space here okay?
Has anyone experience with this?
Thanks

Sigurjon Johannsson
Triumph Spitfire Mk3 1968 Hayabusa powered
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln2Km9mVXYI

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big-vee-twin

posted on 15/11/14 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
I have the PX 600 type - pipercross reccomend at least 20mm gap between the end of the
Trumpet/stack and the inside of the filter.

I also have long trumpets so my filter is 90mm deep.

Most cut a hole through their bonnets to fit the correct filter, this also allows cool air into the engine.

[img] Finished Car
Finished Car
[/img]

You could also have a look at the PX600 air box and use a remote filter these are 75mm high although more expensive

link

[Edited on 15/11/14 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

Northpole

posted on 15/11/14 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
I have the PX 600 type - pipercross reccomend at least 20mm gap between the end of the

Most cut a hole through their bonnets to fit the correct filter, this also allows cool air into the engine.

[img] Finished Car
Finished Car
[/img]

You could also have a look at the PX600 air box and use a remote filter these are 75mm high although more expensive

link

Thank you for your reply.

Is the gab 20 mm absolute minimum?

If so, I need to cut a hole in the Bonnet ;( but how does the Pipercross filter handle rain?

Sigurjon Johannsson

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
belgian2b

posted on 15/11/14 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
Hello,

I always heard that minimum distance between top of velocity stack and filter or bonnet should be at least 1/4 of velocity stack diameter at his top.

Gerardo

Northpole

posted on 15/11/14 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by belgian2b
Hello,

I always heard that minimum distance between top of velocity stack and filter or bonnet should be at least 1/4 of velocity stack diameter at his top.

Gerardo

Hi.
Yes that is also what I have heard, so I will follow that rule.

Do you know if the Pipercross filter will handle rain?
- not that I expect to use the car in rain, but you know, on the way home it could rain...;*)
sigurjon

Sigurjon Johannsson

Northpole

posted on 13/6/16 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin

[img] Finished Car
Finished Car
[/img]

link

In your experience, would a good scoop in the bonnet make more airflow/power using PX Pipercross?
I have trouble choosing between PX and std Hayabusa airbox....

Sigurjon Johannsson

kingster996

posted on 13/6/16 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Px600 handles rain no problem. Just back from 2000+ miles around Europe in some of worst weather imaginable! Never missed a beat and my filter is pretty much all open to elements.

[Edited on 13/6/16 by kingster996]

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

Northpole

posted on 14/6/16 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Very nice car and good to learn about the rain vs Pipercross.

Does anyone have a Bonnet/Hood scoop for the PX Pipercross filter and it would be interesting to know what effect the scoop have?

Sigurjon Johannsson

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.