Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: El Cheapo car hire Barcelona
Hodor

posted on 14/6/15 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
El Cheapo car hire Barcelona

Going to Spain in the near future and need to get car hire for 9 days. Looking on Holidayautos.com there is a big price difference between the well known companies (hertz, avis, europcar, sixt) and the lesser known ones (Goldcar, Solmer, Firefly - which sound like Chinese car makers to be honest). But we're talking up to £100 difference. Anyone had experience of using the cheaper ones? My imagination has them all a 15 minutes minibus ride to some industrial estate, opposed to the on-site big name ones. Any thoughts?
cliftyhanger

posted on 14/6/15 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Check out the fuelling policy, it can stitch you up like a kipper if you don't take care. And it can save a load of cash if you get hire car insurance over here.

MSE is te site to get the advice......

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 14/6/15 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
I have used gold car before in lanzorte cars where at airport car was ok ,all I'll advise is check there fuel policy and the small print for what's covered on the insurance on all the companies that your looking at then decided .sometimes the cheapest is not the best !!
gremlin1234

posted on 14/6/15 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
you should also note that uk driving licences have changed. the 'counterpart'** is now electronic!

see
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33052251

"The paper counterpart shows a driver's record, including offences and endorsements, but all that information is going online instead. "
and
"holidaymakers who hire cars abroad will now need a special temporary code as proof of convictions. "

(**old paper only ones haven't changed ;-)

edit, bold

[Edited on 14/6/15 by gremlin1234]

Hodor

posted on 14/6/15 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
you should also note that uk driving licences have changed. the 'counterpart'** is now electronic!

see
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33052251

"The paper counterpart shows a driver's record, including offences and endorsements, but all that information is going online instead. "
and
"holidaymakers who hire cars abroad will now need a special temporary code as proof of convictions. "

(**old paper only ones haven't changed ;-)

edit, bold

[Edited on 14/6/15 by gremlin1234]

Thanks for the reminder. I remember seeing this when it came out, it's completely inane, having to obtain a code! Wtf is wrong with hertz or whoever punching your licence number into this thing called a "computer" which then talks via the "internet" to another "computer" in Swansea which can tell them what they want to know. Sounds like a case of "bloody hell boyo, with the paper part being ditched, we better find a job for all us lot. What's that Taff? create a coupon scheme for anyone wanting to hire a car, brilliant idea". (No offence intended to my Celtic brethren, Taff's a lovely guy).

Can you imagine the carnage this is going to cause this holiday season, what percent of punters are going to be unaware of the code thing? Hope I don't get stuck behind one at the hire desk.

simonrh

posted on 15/6/15 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
In Lisbon recently the goldcars desk had a queue about a mile long full of people who obviously never rent cars and so where really taking their time where all the others where only a few people long. Wouldn't have wanted to get a off a plane to face that for the sake of a couple of quid!!
gdische

posted on 15/6/15 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Our experience with Goldcar in Portugal was not good.

In general, think about how far you will be driving - if you are not going far the full tank of fuel option may not make sense.

Geoff

Dingz

posted on 15/6/15 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
I have used 'Carjet' in the past with no problems.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

splitrivet

posted on 17/6/15 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
I used these guys NTDWM link
On a trip to San francisco and Portugal couldnt find anyone cheaper and the service was good use promo code 5NOW to get 5% off in June.
Get your excess insurance here though an annual policy works out the best deal.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 17/6/15 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Hodor

posted on 17/6/15 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks. Have ended up going with the most reasonable of the "named" brands, Budget. Just because two families needing two cars and minimal hassle (I hope).

Took out excess insurance with Questor-insurance.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.