Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone made a paddle shift?
Mikey G

posted on 5/12/04 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone made a paddle shift?

For use with electronic systems such as those from Kliktronic?

Thinking of getting this and changing the buttons to microswitches and then making some sort of paddles to attach to the steering wheel.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Mike

Crazy Jay

posted on 5/12/04 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
YES!! Was just thinkin that exactly!! Was gonna mount the paddles onto the boss so they will turn with the steering wheel. Let me know how u get on
All the best

ceebmoj

posted on 5/12/04 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
hi,

I have been building thes for a bit controled by a pic I have sold a couple to pepol on thes bords (thay where 50 quid wit no solinoids). I am swaping infor mation with a couple of others as well with hoping that the information helps them buid systems.

however on more recent news I have just finised develoment on a multy laer surfece mount PCB witch will become the hart of my new system witch will incorporate a stering weel dash system as well. for full on control and gearbox gigery pokery.

however building a simaple system is not complicated and can be acomplised with a cople of relays switces and solinoid

blake

Ferrino

posted on 6/12/04 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
I recently bought a Kliktronic for my R1 build and am hoping to do exactly what you suggest. I stole the aluminium paddles from my PC steering wheel and as soon as I have chosen which boss & steering wheel I'm going to use, I will try to work out how to mount them and get them to pivot. I was thinking of fixing a piece of CF between the wheel and the boss, which would act as a 'platform' for the paddles and microswitches.

I found out about some hardcore PC gaming wheels which use much the same design and I think look great:

Click Here

Looks like the paddles are pivoting via some springs?

Mike S

posted on 7/12/04 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Mikey,

I am in the process of doing exactly what you are suggesting with my MK GT1.

I have gone for a Stuart Taylor paddle shift system, which I will use with micro, switches rather than the cable normally used.

The Stuart Taylor paddle system is a quality bit of kit and see no major problems in using it with an electric changer.

Ian Gray was very helpful when I phoned him, and since you are building a ST Locoblade, it would be worth giving him a call.

Mike

Mikey G

posted on 9/12/04 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys

I have thought about using something off a games wheel but dismissed it as being flimsy. May take another look at a few and see what i can find.
The ST one as i understand it is fixed and doesnt turn with the wheel.

I am thinking of making it from aluminium plate and designing a pivot system to attach it to the wheel and fit the microswitches in there somewhere.

I am not confident in building my own electronics and dont understand the use of PIC! If i was to do this, i would want it to work on the principle that a simple pull on the paddle would momentarily kill the ign and push the solenoid, this being adjustable to give the fastest change possible without letting go of the paddle to return ignition and release the solenoid. If this can be done with a PIC i would be very interested.
I have been looking for solenoids and cant find any double acting ones like the ones used in the Kliktronic system, i like that as it looks very neat and you are not playing around trying to get 2 solenoids to work opposite each other.

Thanks for the suggestions

Mike

stevebubs

posted on 9/12/04 at 12:52 AM Reply With Quote
You could always use one of the Fast & Furious style wheels with 2 red buttons for up & down

<Runs away and hides>

ceebmoj

posted on 9/12/04 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
hi,

mikey when I have done it I use the PIC as it is a like a processor and hence can be used to control every thing. you could do it thought any number of other methods however I am a programmer and then hard where person so I like programmable solutions. This coupled with the fact that if I design a programmable solution I can change the soft where and change the operation where as if I build it in hard where you have less flexibility.

Blake

Ferrino

posted on 9/12/04 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mikey G
I have thought about using something off a games wheel but dismissed it as being flimsy. May take another look at a few and see what i can find.

My paddles are from a Logitech MOMO wheel and are very well made - they are made of ali and are grooved for your fingers to grip on to.

I assume you guys designing PICs are making your own solenoid system? I am just going to replace the momentary push-buttons of the Kilktronic with microswitches.

ceebmoj

posted on 9/12/04 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
hi

I have used the solinoid of the side of a saab starter motor as fitted to a 1990 900, the same stater motor is fited on others 900 however it is harder to remove (it is a BOSH part). faling that looking through a RS or BOSH catolog will show lots of other sutoble solinoids for a lot less than the klicktronics one (do thay sell the solinoid by its self?).

if you are making padles it is woth thinging about the presuyre you are exserting throught the leavereg of the padle on to the switch as you may well kill the swittch however ther are some small foot operated switche witch have a nice feal and will take the load.

Blake

ceebmoj

posted on 9/12/04 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
double post

[Edited on 9/12/04 by ceebmoj]

mk blade

posted on 9/12/04 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Paddles as fitted to my car, no exactly locost.

It is a proshift system and works very well.

Tony. Rescued attachment IMG_3311.gif
Rescued attachment IMG_3311.gif

sscguy

posted on 10/12/04 at 04:31 AM Reply With Quote
Subscribing to this because it looks like a neat idea to try Question for anyone running a setup like this: are the upshifts and downshifts quick, or is there a noticeable delay while that shaft extends or contracts?
Rorty

posted on 10/12/04 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
I've used both buttons on the steering wheel in unison with an electronic shifter and also paddles connected to the 'box with cables. The Buttons look flash and basically change the gears as quick as you can press them. The paddles and cables are just as quick as they're very direct acting. They're also a fraction of the weight of of one of the heavy Klicktronic ones, and a fraction of the cost. They're also a lot easier to set up and fine tune.
Horses for courses.
I would recommend a manual mechanical backup lever if you do decide on an electronic shifter. If the thing goes tits up on a bike, it's no big deal; you just hook the lever with your toe. If the thing goes in a car, it can be embarrasing at best, or dangerous at worst.
There are pictures of the buttons on my steering wheel and the Klicktronic on my site. Not sure if the paddles are shown on there too.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ferrino

posted on 10/12/04 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
How easy is it to find neutral with an electronic shifting mechanism? Or is it better to move over to the mechanical lever for that?
Rorty

posted on 10/12/04 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ferrino
How easy is it to find neutral with an electronic shifting mechanism? Or is it better to move over to the mechanical lever for that?

Finding neutral with an electronic shifter can be a right royal pain in the bum. I would always use the manual back-up lever when I came back into the pits.

Cheers, Rorty.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Crazy Jay

posted on 11/12/04 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
This is the kinda style im going for

[Edited on 11/12/04 by Crazy Jay]

Rorty

posted on 11/12/04 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
So Crazy Jay, you've got a capital H shaped bit of aluminium. WTF does that do?

Cheers, Rorty.

Rorty

posted on 11/12/04 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Slumming it again Syd? I still reckon you're a bastard.

Alright then, for the not-so-intelligent amongst us, is it a type of sprung, flexible paddle, or just somewhere to locate shifter buttons?

Cheers, Rorty.

Tralfaz

posted on 11/12/04 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Looks to me like it pivots at centerline. You can see a rod end and control rod attached to the right side.

T

Peteff

posted on 11/12/04 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Is it totally manual Jay?

Keep it simple theory. I subscribe to that whenever possible. What kind of effort does it take to shift gear and can you alter it with the leverage ratio if you want to?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

carnut

posted on 11/12/04 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'd like to put an electronic shift like 1 of the above on my indy but woud like it to blip the throttle on the way down the gears. Has anyone done this?

thanks
Mark

carnut

posted on 11/12/04 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
missed this off the above post

Also i'd like it to kill the ignition on the way up the gears so i can keep my right foot flat to the floor. Would also be nice if i could have a setting to make the shift occur when a certain rpm is reached.

thanks again
Carnut

krlthms

posted on 11/12/04 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
It occurs to me that a stepper motor would be a better solution than a solenoid. Stepper motors are very reliable, even in extreme environments such as the engine compartment. Controllers are simple to control and easy to obtain.
My idea is to setup a lookup table with the positions of the different gear positions then have the motor go to them. In priciple, this solution would also be applicable to non-bike 'boxes, although more than one motor/controller may be required.
There must be something wrong with this idea, as I am unaware of anyone trying it, yet it is so obvious.
Cheers
KT

CooperLight

posted on 11/12/04 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, the problem is the speed of steppermotor
The (good) switch-shift / paddle shift systems uses electric motors running 30K RPM ...

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.