Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gear cable snapping
T0MMY

posted on 26/6/17 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Gear cable snapping

Just limped home after my gear cable snapped (thank god for the reverse box). It's only been on the car for about a year/3000 miles since the original one snapped so clearly there's an issue there. I'm using a B&M super duty cable from Demon Tweeks so the first question is, is there anything wrong with this choice of cable and is there a better one I should be using?

If not there must be something wrong with how the gear change is set up. Do you guys limit the travel of the gear lever so you can't tug the cable further than needed? Mine is free to move as far as it wants and is only stopped by the cable tension/compression which clearly lets you put a lot of force on it.

[Edited on 26/6/17 by T0MMY]

coozer

posted on 26/6/17 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of fwd oems have cables, not find one that suits ya needs?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

gremlin1234

posted on 26/6/17 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
If not there must be something wrong with how the gear change is set up. Do you guys limit the travel of the gear lever so you can't tug the cable further than needed? Mine is free to move as far as it wants and is only stopped by the cable tension/compression which clearly lets you put a lot of force on it.
could you use a shorter gear stick?

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 26/6/17 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Going some to break the cable, clearly something wrong, perhaps leverage a tad too high.

I use Ringspann cables, hit the site, download the catalogue, sort out what you want and create a part number.

My gearchange cables go something like: 275-V-T05M/T05M-2-0XXX, where XXX=length.

Superb folk, really swift.

nick205

posted on 26/6/17 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

IIRC most VAG FWD cars have cable shift systems.

coozer

posted on 26/6/17 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

IIRC most VAG FWD cars have cable shift systems.

My dobbie has them as did both the mondeo and st170 gearboxs ive got..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

CosKev3

posted on 26/6/17 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
Any pics of how its routed and your gear lever set up to show leverage?
T0MMY

posted on 26/6/17 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies. I've actually ordered a replacement cable from cable tec for now as it was quite cheap and I want to get back on the road quickly.

I can get some photos tomorrow but leverage wise I have about 20cm of lever above the pivot and about 4cm below the pivot to where the cable attaches. Looking at it I think there are a couple of issues, one being the cable approaches the shift lever on the engine at about a 45 degree angle so I can rotate it around the splines to get it to 90 deg but it will involve moving the bracket the cable attaches to. The other issue is the cable doesn't run that straight to the gear lever either really so I'll try to improve that but again it will require a new mounting point. The problem is I have no welding equipment (or ability).

Also, the existing cable only had a rose joint at one end with the other end just being a metal hoop. The one I've ordered has threaded rod at each end so I can rose joint both now which should be smoother.

CosKev3

posted on 26/6/17 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah getting it running as straight as poss will help.

[Edited on 26/6/17 by CosKev3]

russbost

posted on 27/6/17 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know anything about the Demon Tweaks cable, but I'm assuming it is the same as the morse/teleflex type cables. If that's the case their construction is somewhat odd & not what you'd expect, they rely very heavily on the plastic outer remaining completely intact, so if it can chafe anywhere or get hot it will fail at that point. If you want to go to an OE cable the MR2 Mk1 cables are nice & chunky & will stand tight bends, they're fairly short tho' around 1m IIRC

HTH

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
T0MMY

posted on 27/6/17 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
I was wondering about the heat issue as it passes reasonably close to the exhaust manifold. I think I'll wrap it with some heat proofing stuff.

I got some warning of the issue as I started struggling to get it into 2nd a few weeks ago and had to adjust the cable twice. I actually thought that was a problem with the gearbox starting to appear but evidently the cable was starting to go (which is obviously much better!). If that happens again at least I know to order one in advance. If this one doesn't last I will look at OEM cables but it will involve totally new mounting points so again my inability to weld will be a problem!

40inches

posted on 27/6/17 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T0MMY
I was wondering about the heat issue as it passes reasonably close to the exhaust manifold. I think I'll wrap it with some heat proofing stuff.

I got some warning of the issue as I started struggling to get it into 2nd a few weeks ago and had to adjust the cable twice. I actually thought that was a problem with the gearbox starting to appear but evidently the cable was starting to go (which is obviously much better!). If that happens again at least I know to order one in advance. If this one doesn't last I will look at OEM cables but it will involve totally new mounting points so again my inability to weld will be a problem!

Put your location in your profile, someone near you may be willing to give you a hand.
I would if you are anywhere near?

T0MMY

posted on 27/6/17 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
Just added it, I'm in Peterborough

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.