Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Megabusa Newbie saying Hello!
Mulder

posted on 23/7/17 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Megabusa Newbie saying Hello!

Hi chaps, i'm a recent owner of my 3rd Westfield, started with a Megablade, then had a (brief) fling with a Duratec and now i've got a Megabusa 1400. I had the car noise tested recently @ 102db with a standard sausage filter and a large Tech-Craft silencer. I've been swatting up on airboxes to reduce that further but I may also check the silencer to see if it could benefit from some Acoustafil. The car was on the dyno at NMS recently and showed 208.1bhp and 118.1 lbs/ft so the noise is already pretty impressive.

The search on the airbox hasn't solved the Pipercross 600 vs Hayabusa airbox debate but I'm open to any suggestions. Motorsport Events have just announced a new venue at RAF Lyneham which boasts a 102db limit, track map to follow, so I'm in the ballpark if I can repack the silencer and sort an airbox.

Im also interested in any views on tyres. The car has Image wheels with Avon ACB10's on 13" rims. The fronts are 195/50/13 and the rears are whopping (for a BEC) 245/45/13. The tyre choice for me seems to be Avon or Avon! Either CR500 or their eventual replacement the ZZS's. Neither is an exact size replacement though, both are 50 aspect front and 55 aspect rear, the CR500 are 205 fronts and the ZZS are 215 which both give me an issue with the cycle wings which are ultra close already.

I want to change the cycle wings to CSR style so I'm thinking I may have to put a spacer on the brackets to lift the wing slightly, i'm leaning towards the CR500 at the moment because they are A rated in the wet but again any thoughts would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

'Mulder'

[Edited on 23/7/17 by Mulder]

[Edited on 23/7/17 by Mulder]

phelpsa

posted on 23/7/17 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
We run a Megabusa but only on hills and sprints with 105db limits. With the standard Westfield silencer and px600 filter it can get quite close to the limit depending on the day / weather.

Tyre wise the new Nankangs seem to be the road legal tyre of choice with sprinters over and above Avon's offerings, although the cr500s are probably better in the wet.

What is the spec of the engine to make that power? We are upgrading to 1441 over the winter so would be good to compare!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mulder

posted on 23/7/17 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, tyre wise the 13" size is much more limiting and I'm reluctant to part with the Image wheels so Nankangs (assume NS2R) are not available in my sizes. Engine wise I'm not sure of the full spec but its a later GenII so fuel injected and was built by Holeshot Racing and has a pretty wild camshaft, otherwise just running Keihin's and no airbox.

Thanks

phelpsa

posted on 23/7/17 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote
Not ns2r, the new AR1s.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.