Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Time for another build - Avon
flak monkey

posted on 21/2/19 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Time for another build - Avon

Well, it's been a while and I'm actually back with another build, finally. Egged on a bit by my partner who has always wanted a seven but didn't know where to start.

Nothing swanky about this one, a back to basics pinto engined Avon. Will probably stick megasquirt on it as a matter of course, but otherwise no supercharging or silliness. Have I grown up too much?

I might get off to a bit of a slow start as we are in the middle of trying to move house, but nonetheless everyone has to have a project, right?!

[Edited on 21/2/19 by flak monkey]

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

nick205

posted on 21/2/19 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Good on you and yes everyone should have a project!

Nowt wrong with a Pinto engine IMHO either.

big_wasa

posted on 21/2/19 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you have one tucked away, have you seen the price a good pinto is fetching ? Same as the T9’s

I know Tiger really are just around the corner but my money would be on an...

A) Mnr (mx5) B) Gbs Zero (mx5)

Lots of cheap donors and parts

flak monkey

posted on 21/2/19 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
I know a few people who can help with parts.

I was thinking about going duratec as they are getting cheaper, but once you add up all of the other parts and the emissions stuff for IVA it's still expensive.

Could still stick an mx5 engine and box in an Avon, no big deal. Already sorted for a Sierra rear end anyway.

Sera

melly-g

posted on 21/2/19 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
I think that's a great choice!
I am a bit biased though.
I changed the pinto for a zetec se last year.
It's good to see you back mate.

dmrider_10

posted on 22/2/19 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
Firm advoate for Mx5s (but then I have owned 9 of them....). All the parts are from a sports car, the engine is bullet proof and power is easily upped. They will pass MOT with no cat if using a megasquirt, super cheap, the original layout of parts is "correct" FRWD
theconrodkid

posted on 22/2/19 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
having seen the GBS zero, i would go for that, it is a lot more authentic looking...or be radical and go midi ?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/2/19 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dmrider_10
Firm advoate for Mx5s (but then I have owned 9 of them....). All the parts are from a sports car, the engine is bullet proof and power is easily upped. They will pass MOT with no cat if using a megasquirt, super cheap, the original layout of parts is "correct" FRWD

have to admit an MX5 is the only way I'd go if doing one again and you can pick up a rusty one with good mechanical for utter peanuts

not sure just how many of the parts you can use and maybe get away with keeping the donor reg and avoiding an IVA?

With all my project cars gone and me now with a new tin top that needs nothing other than boring routine maintenance, a huge garage and all the tools, I have to admit I'm feeling the pull of building a 7 again myself...

Been out of the kit car stuff for so long now, not even sure if there is plans based on MX5 mechanics?

[Edited on 22/2/19 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 22/2/19 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Good to see Sera back on here, and building, as her work on the bikes was amazing

I a little while ago had an urge to build again, but not a 7, as they are every were, infact not one day goes by when im out driving will see a 7, but I do live in the South east of England

I would, with enough garage space like to attempt a road legal Lemans 60's-70's car not for racing, with a big V8

But sadly, I don't have the garage space, nor the time, so I might make one 3rd scale, I could drive that

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Barksavon

posted on 23/2/19 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a 1.6 MX5 available as a donor. It's succumbed to the dreaded chassis rail corrosion, also corrosion in the sills.
I was intending to sort it but it's stood for couple of years now and just won't get time to do it.

flak monkey

posted on 23/2/19 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I did think about going the MX5 route, but they really aren't that tuneable unless you stick a turbo on them, and that's not what I want to do.

Besides, I already have a Mk1 MX5 which is getting turboed anyway.

Set on the pinto route, its a nice simple and easy engine to work on and my partner wants to learn, so might as well start basic. Will probably stick throttle bodies and injection on it because I can.

Ultimately we are looking to build something simple and actually quite old school

I do have it in mind to build something a bit more extreme in the future too, but I am keeping that under wraps

Sera

James

posted on 27/2/19 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
Good to see you back mate! Only just come back myself!

Do you still have the yellow Camaro(?) you were rebuilding?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

flak monkey

posted on 27/2/19 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
Good to see you back mate! Only just come back myself!

Do you still have the yellow Camaro(?) you were rebuilding?

Hiya!

Sold the Camaro last year, ended up around 600hp LS swapped. Great fun, but my circumstances changed a lot and it had to go.

Sera

flak monkey

posted on 4/3/19 at 01:24 AM Reply With Quote
Well, I made a start....

Found a complete Sierra rear sub frame with 7" 3.92 diff etc so went and picked it up on Friday. Now I only have my little M140i I ended up having to dismantle it at the scrappies to get it in the car...

Needs a damn good clean and new boots on the drive shafts. Other than that, it should do!

Had a bit of fun with the grinder to remove the hub nuts, but all of 5 minutes and both were done. It's now completely stripped to it's component parts waiting to be cleaned up.

Also went and cleared out melly-g's garage of Pinto parts! Many thanks for that

4 heads in various states of repair as well as a short block when I get back to collect it.

Sera

flak monkey

posted on 12/3/19 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
Me and Sophie have been busy... This is Sophie's first time working on anything in this amount of detail - although she has a practical engineering background she has never rebuilt an engine. So I am quite enjoying having a student!

We are going to pick up our chassis and suspension etc this weekend! Need to clear my garage out as I only have a single one now

Picked up a couple of pinto short blocks, both in need of machining which isn't a problem. Have stripped down both and have identified enough parts to build a new short block from the parts without buying anything else too expensive. Although both are not 205 blocks, one of them had later rods in it anyway and one of them had been bored +0.5mm and the other was at standard. So we are going to get that one bored to +0.5mm and use the stronger rods and oversize pistons. One has a standard crank in useable condition too, so we have most of what we need.

I'm just waiting for a quote for the machining work (bore and deck skim)

I cleaned up the differential and drive shafts yesterday - ready for a lick of paint and new seals/boots.

Sera

02GF74

posted on 12/3/19 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey

Picked up a couple of pinto short blocks , both in need of machining which isn't a problem.

Ah, that explains it. I was wondering why the axis of Britain had tilted slightly towards Norfolk.

Hello BTW

flak monkey

posted on 13/3/19 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
It's true, the continental plates did shift slightly.

But they can't be that heavy as I managed to lift both of them in and out of the back of my car without much effort... and I'm only a weakling now

Sera

rusty nuts

posted on 13/3/19 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
It's true, the continental plates did shift slightly.

But they can't be that heavy as I managed to lift both of them in and out of the back of my car without much effort... and I'm only a weakling now

I use to do things like that. Until I gave myself a double hernia!

Nice to see you back .

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/3/19 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I worked with a guy who when I went to collect it lifted a rover V8 out a SD1 with a rope round the engine and over his shoulders! mental sod

I did once carry my stripped down VW flat four up stairs into the garage loft but god it was heavy LOL

[Edited on 13/3/19 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flak monkey

posted on 14/3/19 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Shiny....

Sera

flak monkey

posted on 15/3/19 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Going to collect my chassis and various other bits tomorrow morning - LWB van booked and an early morning I think!

Hopefully quickish progress will follow.

Popped into Tiger at lunchtime (since they are just up the road) and had a chat with Jim - seemed helpful enough, they are certainly busy, workshop is full. Gave me a copy of his book for my free so can't be too bad. Not that I am planning to need it much!

Sera

SJ

posted on 15/3/19 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
Looking forward to seeing the quality of your work! Makes mine look like a pig's ear.

Stu

Andybarbet

posted on 15/3/19 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good so far :-)

I will watch your progress as it appears.

What paint have you used on the diff ? It looks great.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

SJ

posted on 15/3/19 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

To my point in my earlier post, mine came painted, circa 1990.

flak monkey

posted on 16/3/19 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Andybarbet
Looking good so far :-)

I will watch your progress as it appears.

Its just wheel silver paint, nothing fancy. Gave it a clean and a coat of etch primer first of course...

Had a 350 mile round trip today to collect the chassis and various other bits. Hopefully have it rolling by the end of tomorrow. Need to sort out the fuel line and brake clips, but most of it's OK.

Think it's a Polo/Lupo steering column, need to find some bolts for it.

Sera

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.