Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Bike battery and reverse gear motor
sevaun

posted on 28/8/20 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Bike battery and reverse gear motor

I'm planning to use a starter motor for reversing my Westfield. The engine is GSXR 1000 and currently runs from a bike battery. I only use the car for hill climbing. What are the ramifications if:
A. I keep the bike battery and only use the reversing drive very occasionally for just a few seconds - will it be powerful enough?
B. If the bike battery doesn't have sufficient punch and I replace the bike battery with a car battery - will this charge ok and will the GSXR run ok from a 35amp hour car battery?

Thanks
Rich

padrc66

posted on 28/8/20 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

I've got a Hayabusa engine using one of these from lynx motorsport for reverse:

https://motorsportlynx.com/reverse-gear-motor/

i didn't think a bike battery would be man enough so i'm running a 38Ah car battery - no problem running the bike electrics and have had no charging problems in 2500 miles.

one thing i did read was that people have had problems with the voltage dipping when reversing and causing the bike ECU to log a fault and cause problems so i arranged my electrics so that when i select reverse (via a dash switch) it cuts the engine to avoid this - arranged through a relay where the original kill switch was, effectively operates the kill switch and diverts the feed to the reverse relay instead. i've then got the reverse relay activated through a switch on the throttle pedal so you just press the pedal to activate reverse.

hope that helps

sevaun

posted on 28/8/20 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Great info thanks! I've checked the Lynx MS motor, I think I'll go down that route with a car battery.
Thanks again

fatherchuck53

posted on 28/8/20 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
I'm running a Yamaha R1 powered with a 16ah battery in my daily driver and had no problems in my 3 year with it. I got my electric reverse setup from Lynx AE. They recommend at least a 27ah.
rj

posted on 28/8/20 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
I tried a car starter motor for reverse, along with ZX9 engine and bike battery, even with the engine at 6000rpm not enough juice for the car starter, then fitted ZX9 starter with double reduction gearing - electrical side fine but will only reverse very slightly uphill
sevaun

posted on 29/8/20 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies everyone, food for thought. Maybe I

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.