Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Choice - Guidance Sought
GrahamC

posted on 6/1/21 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Engine Choice - Guidance Sought

I've decided to go the BEC route for my Sylva Striker, it's now been off the road since 1999 so is ripe for a Lockdown 2.0 rebuild and today I have set about selling a bunch of Pinto parts to generate funds.

I am however unsure of what engine to pop in it; I'm not after super fast bhp and would prefer something with medium bhp and more torque if that is at all feasible.

It's 20+ years since I last built a BEC (built one of the first blade powered MNR Vortx) and find myself now with pretty much zero knowledge of the BEC scene!

As ever I'm budget constrained so I'd welcome guidance/suggestions of what bikes to look for.

russbost

posted on 6/1/21 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Bang for your buck I'd go for a ZZR1100 or a carbed Yam R1000. If you can find a ZZR1200 (thinking about it, I may actually know of one, let me know if of interest), they are almost identical to the ZZR1100, but a little more torque & BHP for not a lot more money.

If Funds stretch a bit further then a ZX10r, ZX12R or a fairly late CBR 1000 (not the earlier lower capacity Fireblade lumps, they lack torque, & not a Blackbird as they have horrible oil pickup issues in a 7 type car)

My engine of choice is always the ZZR1400, but tbh they're not cheap & I would think that would be overkill in the Striker, I'd guess with a bike engine it's probably going to weigh in at under 500kg, you'd struggle to get the power to the road.

My Furore weighs in at around 560/570kg & the ZZR1400 gives 0-60 in around 3.5 secs, but then I have the engine sitting over the rear wheels & much wider tyres than you'll normally see on a 7

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
GrahamC

posted on 6/1/21 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
That's interesting reading and I appreciate your advice.

I'm also interested to investigate having the clutch operated via a lever on the gear stick - instead of via a pedal. My left leg doesn't function properly and a clutch pedal is a massive challenge. So I thought I'd kill two birds with one stone and solve my engine-space problem with a bike engine and solve my-not-working-leg problem with a hand operated clutch.

Have you any experience of the hand operated clutch on the gear lever? Is that common nowadays?

I think I'd be interested in the ZZR1200, but as with everything it depends on the package. Feel free to drop me a DM privately.

Gord

posted on 6/1/21 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I used to own a ZZR1400, I remember watching a dyno shoot out between ZZR1400's & Hyabusa's and for the equivalent tuning mods on each bike the Hyabusa made quite a chunk of power more than the ZZR1400's. From what I know the ZZR1400 engine isn't as strong as the Hyabusa engine, I would still rather own a ZZR1400 than a pig ugly Busa anytime.
Simon

posted on 6/1/21 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gord
than a pig ugly Busa anytime.

On my second, had the first one five years, current one I got new nearly three years ago. Absolutely love them, and, when riding it, you can't see what it looks like

russbost

posted on 7/1/21 at 08:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I used to own a ZZR1400, I remember watching a dyno shoot out between ZZR1400's & Hyabusa's and for the equivalent tuning mods on each bike the Hyabusa made quite a chunk of power more than the ZZR1400's. From what I know the ZZR1400 engine isn't as strong as the Hyabusa engine, I would still rather own a ZZR1400 than a pig ugly Busa anytime.

As syandard the ZZR has more torque & more power if you are comparing engines from similar years, I think the 'Busa is now a lot closer than the early ones were. Biggest difference is that there is loads of tuning stuff available for the 'Busa & very little for the ZZR - that said, both have more power than you can ever sensibly use on the road as standard & from anecdotal evidence the ZZR seems the stronger engine, better clutch & gearbox - I#ve never managed to break one & I do try quite hard ....

I think either engine is overkill in a 7 style car where your biggest problem is getting the power to the road & neither is cheap

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Gord

posted on 7/1/21 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I really wanted the ZZR1400’s to win the shootouts on the dyno, there must have been around 7-8 of each bike and for each equivalent tuning mods the Busa was a good chunk ahead of the ZZR. The highest recorded BHP came from a highly modified Busa and it made about 195@WHP. In the real world my ZZR was faster than anything it went against, the acceleration from 150-185 was a matter of seconds.
Let’s face it, even an old B model ZX9 engine with 130bhp will be quick in a 500kg car. Go for robustness, price and availability rather than outright power.

russbost

posted on 7/1/21 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I really wanted the ZZR1400’s to win the shootouts on the dyno, there must have been around 7-8 of each bike and for each equivalent tuning mods the Busa was a good chunk ahead of the ZZR. The highest recorded BHP came from a highly modified Busa and it made about 195@WHP. In the real world my ZZR was faster than anything it went against, the acceleration from 150-185 was a matter of seconds.
Let’s face it, even an old B model ZX9 engine with 130bhp will be quick in a 500kg car. Go for robustness, price and availability rather than outright power.

I'd like to know what tuning mods they were using on the bikes for comparison, because so far as I'm aware there is nothing available for the ZZR other than different exhaust cans, unless you start getting into major engine mods like cams etc.

If you take stock bikes on the dyno everything I've ever seen puts the ZZR in front, a dyno wouldn't tell the full story anyway as the ZZR uses ram air which is supposed to give the last 10bhp to bring the later bikes up to 200bhp, impossible to replicate on a dyno & very difficult to replicate on a kitcar - minor detail as well being it won't even start to make a difference until you're well up into 3 figures, so not gonna help the traffic lights Grand Prix!

I can honestly say the only thing that's ever out accelerated my car was a 4 x 4 Evo on a soaking wet road - in those circumstances 4 wheels are better than 2! I've come up against several bikes & they've matched acceleration, but don't get away.

Getting back to more budget end stuff, you mention the ZX9, but you'll pickup an old ZX10 (89/90) or the ZZR1100 for similar or less money & they have around another 10-20bhp & more torque, honestly don't think they can be beaten in terms of power to the £££ & they are really solid engines, just don't try & bump start either of the above as the starter often hangs in if not started on the key & a bump start snaps the starter/alternator chain!

ettore bugatti

posted on 8/1/21 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
BMW s1100rr too expensive?

The sports 1000 people use a lot of Honda CBR1000RR and Suzuki GSXR 1000 K8 in their race cars.

02GF74

posted on 8/1/21 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Stupid question but is there a reason why I don't see V configuration engines used?

For example a Honda vfr1200, for £1200 puts out 173 Bhp and has shaft drive.

Similarly Yamaha Vmax 1700 gives 197 Bhp, if you can find one.

MikeRJ

posted on 11/1/21 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I would still rather own a ZZR1400 than a pig ugly Busa anytime.

That a bit of the pot/kettle situation, the ZZR1400 is far from a pretty looking bike!

Gord

posted on 11/1/21 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
I would still rather own a ZZR1400 than a pig ugly Busa anytime.

That a bit of the pot/kettle situation, the ZZR1400 is far from a pretty looking bike!

You have 2 sisters in front of you, do you f#ck the pig ugly one or the ugly one?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.