Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Top speed on FZR 1000
chunkielad

posted on 31/1/05 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Top speed on FZR 1000

I am going to use the FZR 1000 engine in the car and have a 3.92 diff to use. Firstly, what sort of top end speed will I get and then, how does chaning the Diff ratio change the acceleration/top speed?

i.e. is a 3.1 faster or slower in acceleration than a 4.5 (stupid figures I know!!!!)

Wadders

posted on 31/1/05 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
3.92 = mad acceleration, crap top end
3.13 = good acceleration, good top end.

JoelP

posted on 31/1/05 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
i cant tell you any specifics about that combination (fzr1000 with 3.92) but people often say that 3.62 is uncomfortable on motorways, hence the value in the 3.38 and 3.14 diffs. I seem to remember that fireblades are better at coping with 3.62 than stuff like zx9s, which really benefit from longer legs (ie 3.38 etc). i suspect that the fzx could be compared to r1s, but i dont know what they are most suited to.

is it a 3.92 LSD? if so, id sell it to a car engined user who wants good sprint performance, and look about for a 3.62 (LSD if you so choose). 3.62 is probably better than a 3.92 for any use (i wouldnt be suprised if a 3.92 topped out on the wrong side of 110ish) hence sickening noise on a motorway.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

jambojeef

posted on 31/1/05 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
My problem exactly!! I've downloaded this spreadsheet (cant remember credits-sorry!) was originally from an R1 but get your haynes out for your bike and play with some figures - I've come to the conclusion that unles you're running a very revvy bike engine (Gixxer, ZX9R etc) then the 3.14 diff has got to be way to go - when using the spreadsheet dont forget to put in corect primary drive ratio for your FZR - bikes drop down from their crankshaft to the clutch basket unlike car engines whic are directly driven crank - clutch
chunkielad

posted on 31/1/05 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
is it a 3.92 LSD?

No mate it's open (the free one from Shortie
quote:

3.62 is probably better than a 3.92 for any use (i wouldnt be suprised if a 3.92 topped out on the wrong side of 110ish) hence sickening noise on a motorway.

I'm not going to do any motorway mileage really and I never go over 70!!!
My main concern is acceleration anyway so if a higher number is good for that, I'll stick with the 3.92!!

JoelP

posted on 31/1/05 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
fair points mate - you certainly cant sniff at a free diff!

Jon Ison

posted on 31/1/05 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
1st thing you need to do is find out what reduction gears are in the bike box, i set the blade up to run just over 1000rpm per 10mph in top, 70mph on motorway was a doddle at around 7000rpm with a top speed just over 130mph on a 3.89 diff with 15" wheels.

chunkielad

posted on 31/1/05 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Joel - Any info on this from the manual?
JoelP

posted on 31/1/05 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
i shall look now...

JoelP

posted on 31/1/05 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
right then.

the bike as it stands has 17 teeth to 48 teeth, hence a final ratio of 2.82

combine that with a large back wheel, no wonder they have a cracking top speed. i dont actually know what, but id guess its geared to 165? someone please correct me, its a 93 fzr1000.

so assuming you swap for a 3.9 diff, and a slightly smaller rear wheel (the bike has 24 inch diameter, my current wheels are 165 80 13, with a 23 inch diameter) your top speed would become 113, assuning 165 is correct for the bike.

not sure what the rev limiter is on this bike (manuals bloody useless...), but i bet it would be screaming on a 3.92 diff at 70!

niceperson709

posted on 31/1/05 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know about the FZ1000 for sure but my FZ750 streetfighter cuts the rev limiter in at 10500 may be a bit lower on the 1000 because it has a longer stroke in the engine , any way would probably be a good idea if you went for larger wheels to improve / tune your gearing in the absense of a lower diff ratio.
best wishes
Iain Rescued attachment 7of9-13S.jpg
Rescued attachment 7of9-13S.jpg

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

chunkielad

posted on 1/2/05 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of 15s anyway so that should help - sorry for being thick but what would this give me? The tyres won't be ridiculously low profile as I want to ensure some feedback from the tyers and no suprise loss of the back end
JoelP

posted on 1/2/05 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
no idea - its all guess work for me. Measure the diameter of the wheels and compare them to mine. Should actually compare rolling radius not diameter, but i cant be arsed workingit out!

smart51

posted on 1/2/05 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
measure the laden radius (height of the wheel centre from the road) rather than the diameter of the tyre. this gives a closer match to the true turns-per-mile figure.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.